Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Speachless over this commerical I saw

So I hardly ever watch TV, but I do indulge in a little “Project Runway” ever now and again. Last night I flip it on and see this commercial ADVOCATING CORN SYRUP. I had the biggest LOL and WTF moment I’ve had in recent history.

Remind me to DVR this next time so I may skip the adverts groan

I found this online mirroring my thoughts http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/554304

Comments

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I didn’t see a video on that page, but I did see “a” corn syrup-promoting commercial earlier this morning on my television. I assume it’s the same one. I had to laugh. This is like the old ads that featured feeding tiny children(and even babies) bottles of soda pop to invigorate them. I swear, this country is comprised of nothing but pimps and johns.

C and H granulated sugar has been advertising for many, many years; I don’t see the differnce EXCEPT that the corn syrup jack-offs aren’t as good at selling on TV. The ad I saw this morning was smirkingly obnoxious and that is a bad way to sell.

• I’m sorry but what really gets me going are those kids cereals stating that kids who ate this sugary-ass-cereal for breakfast did better in school, were more alert and got better grades.

The Frosted Mini Wheats commercial is one of the popular ones.

Does anyone else watch these, especially the ones geared towards CHILDREN – our growing and budding future – and shake their heads in disappointment?

Then there is all this greenwashing crap on boxes, alluring people in stores to buy stuff that claims to be “healthy” – it makes me question what the heck these companies feel is actually “healthy”... I won’t get started here.

The food industry continues to remain corrupted. Sorry if this sounds so orthorexic of me but isn’t it scientifically true? Studies have validated that answer as a big YES.

I’m wondering how many of you share these opinions on green washing/etc…

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

I was hiking last weekend and grabbed some snacks at the store for my friends who were meeting up with me and could not stop to get any for themselves. I got some wasabi pea snacks with the word HEALTHY in the name of the product. We were in a rush so I didnt read the label (usually I am really good with that) to my astonishment, later on I peeked at the back….it clearly marked MSG as an ingredient!!! Not once but twice!! WTF!! Healthy my A$$!!! $4 down the drain.

• Pleeeeaaase don’t get me started on this. I work with kids with a range of speech-language disorders and you should see the crap that many of them eat. I don’t see food as a cure all, but how about just supporting the body/brain with good nutrition for a start?

• WTF??!!?? Don’t by packaged anything. You can’t trust it. For more love, peace, joy and contentment in life, here’s one of our tricks: WE DON’T WATCH TV…. It’s obvious, right? ; ) If we watched TV, I think I’d rip my hair out and become a screaming maniac. Not too conducive to raising these healthy, gorgeous children of mine to being instruments of love, light, peace and health in this world.

Oh RawDance, and greenwashing products, it’s everywhere!! Green “cleaning” and “hygiene” included! Ugh. I’m down to baking soda and water for almost everything…. I have half a mind to buy only foods that can be consumed whole, and IF plates are used, they’re to be licked clean and dried in the sun. LOL. JK.

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

On a similar note, here in the uk the government did a study in young offenders institutions which showed that giveing them vitamin and mineral suppliments (yes we know raw would have been even better but still) showed considerable improvements in behaviour, including less violence. Having concluded that the suppliments worked the government then did NOT role out the scheme nationwide!!! idiots!

• OMG!! I saw the comercial last night, it was a man and woman sitting on a blanket in a beautiful park with the sun shining and birds chirping. The woman (of course, the old adam eve thing) was eating a popsicle and the guy was just laying there. She offered it to him like “hey, want a lick of my popsicle, it’s hot out” and he replies, “No thanks”. She offers again and then asks him why he doesn’t want it. He says “It’s got high fructose corn syrup in it”. She smiles, shakes her head like he’s retarded and says “So what, what do you think corn syrup is made from?”. He replies, “Ummm, corn I guess….that’s not bad for you…” and takes the popsicle. It was disgusting. It would be like offering a kid vodka and saying it’s ok, it’s made of potatoes.

harmonylia – THATS THE ONE!! I didnt know whether to laugh or cry at it.

this is a different one, I dont have speakers at work and its just as well. I dont wanna hear their propaganda! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEbRxTOyGf0

SICK

this is the website of the offender!!

http://sweetsurprise.com/

ok – one more post in a row, sorry folks!

MONSANTO HAS to be behind this. %$$$$ EVIL

• omg i just saw this last night. I can’t believe is exists.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

THANK GOD I don’t have a TV. I would have been unable to contain my rage.

• wow.. I just died a little inside…. I hadn’t seen this commercial yet..wow.. I just.. no… that’s bad… seriously though.. wtf? how is this okay? better yet, how is this LEGAL?

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

I just watched the link, you know what this tells you girls (and boys)? like the woman who expressed her suprise at the start, we need to have our facts right there in the front of our brains so we can tell the misguided what IS the matter with these products!

• Agreed springleaf! But the industry is trying to make it seem like everyone who disapproves of corn syrup doesn’t have the facts. Then people will just stop asking us and assume they’re right. I just watched the link and I was disgusted. I would like to see the other commercial you guys are talking about though! (I don’t own a TV, thank goodness.) Also, does anyone have any links to somewhere I can find more facts about why HFCS is bad? I know enough about it to know that I will never let it enter my body again, but I would like to be armed with an arsenal of facts so if I ever do have a conversation like the one in the commercial, I would know exactly how to present my point of view.

I’m from Iowa originally and there was a documentary made there called King Corn. Everyone should buy it! It is so informative and well put together. It really aims at exposing Americans’ dependence on a single food source, corn. And it shows how HFCS is made! It is quite disturbing. However, it does it in a way that is presentable and acceptable to everyone, from progressive hippies to conservative corn and cattle farmers.

• OHHH, I just saw on the second link, that heather provided, all the ads are there. The TV ones are called “Party” and “Two Bites”.

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

I can’t believe this isn’t a joke! that is just ridiculous

• “wow” is all i can say to that. anyone know of a cave where i can live and eat bananas?

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Both of those Ads are very distressing (on many levels!) – more like Propaganda than simple Advertising.
    Here are some unpleasant facts about HFCS:

HFCS interrupts the function of 2 important hormones: Leptin and Gherlin.
    Normally—Leptin indicates if we are still hungry and Gherlin sends us signals of getting full. When ingesting HFCS the body cannot readily recognize it’s “hungry” or “full” messages. In this way High Fructose Corn Syrup destroys balance and Homeostasis of our body. It is a factor in unhealthy weight gain.

And HFCS has addictive qualities to it. —it’s cheap to use and makes buyers want to get more of the product. What self-serving-could-give-a-damn-about-the -consequences-food-manufacturers wouldn’t want to use it?

Other dangers of HFCS:
    Increased LDL (the ‘bad’ Lipoprotein) which can lead to an increased risk of heart disease.
    Changes in magnesium balance, which leads to increased osteoporosis.
    Increased danger of developing Diabetes Mellitus.
    It affects birth control pills.It increases insulin level in the women on the pill.
    Accelerated aging.

Interesting how they compare it (in the advertisements) with “other sweeteners” and sugar. But they don’t mention that ALL of the cells in the body can use (metabolize) glucose, but only the liver can metabolize Fructose.

• I haven’t read all the other comments but honestly… WTF!!! This is ridiculous. The sad thing is that so many people use their television as their primary source of information and they won’t bother to look into the other side of things. THE COMMERCIAL WAS PAID FOR BY THE CORN REFINERS ASSOCIATION PEOPLE!!! This is like those dime a dozen perscription drug commercials that make it sound like there are no problems with the products they are hawking! THEY SUGAR COAT everything. ANd then the public beieves what they see on TV. Imean the average person doesn`t read the scientific evidence, and the companies doing the research that shows these products as being harmful are far less well funded than the `research` conducted by these big industries. BTW greenghost thanx for`the info.

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Thanks dreaminraw. I had the info handy (and in my head)... I did a presentation on it last Fall for a German class I was taking. :)

But on a serious note – it is REALLY f’d up how much people are swayed by the bombardments of crap from these warped and extremely self-serving Advertisements. It is no wonder that there is such a problem with obesity in this country. The Food Giants and the Pharmaceutical companies are definitely in bed together. It’s as sickening as it is sad and frustrating.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I watched the two links and came back here to copy ~ greenghost’s ~ post… Then went back to sweetsurprise and clicked to contact them… I sent them the copy and asked at the end, what happened to truth in advertising???

Doubt it will happen but will let you know if I hear back from them…

• This is why I don’t watch television!! Lol… craziness.

Check out my new raw recipe blog! http://rawlaland.blogspot.com/ it’s a bit bare at the moment, but will be bursting with recipes/photos in just a few weeks!

• Basically, they are saying that corn is not bad for you, which is the truth in their advertising, it doesn’t mention why turning corn into high fructose corn syrup makes it bad for you.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

So deceptive…I try not to HATE, but damn…I’m hard-pressed right now…

Why are these bastards doing this?

Are they really so blinded by greed?

• Let’s see…ummm…yeah, it’s greed. Let’s look at greed based advertising fiends…Big Tobacco, Exxon, Mobil, Pick any Pharmacutical company out there, clothing industries, any one food company who lists their product as “trans-fat free” only because it has less than .5 of a gram but still has to list hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils on their ingredients, and pesticide/herbicide companies. There are many more, but most humans are lazy and greedy by nature. I’m not saying I wouldn’t like to have a million or two more in the bank and occasionally have lucious raw chocolates fed to me by the hand of a gorgeous man while I lol around on my private yacht, but there’s that, then there’s this.

• Oh my…and it’s only going to get worse.

The government wants to decrease the amount of people living and they’re sure getting better at it. Every time I turn around there is something horrifying and deceptive going on. AND IT’S ALWAYS WITH OUR FOOD!

GOD it’s so EASY for television media, marketing PR, and the DANG FDA to influence and force people to believe that fluoride, HFCS, agave, GMOs, red meat and artificial sweeteners (the list goes ON and On…as you know) are good for the body…F that.

Thank goneraw for all the sensible people…poor SAD souls…

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Yeah, to be honest, after watching that commerical, I’ve never felt MORE SANE in my entire life.

What is the world coming to?

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I have to thank someone here for the referral to my teens to watch “All Jacked Up”. This film is totally geared to teens and empowers them to revolt against fast food and HFCS. My 14 year-old daughter recently told me she’s setting a date to become vegetarian. I find this interesting since she never has taken but 4 bites from the animals. The girl lives for white four, HFCS and did I say WHITE FLOUR!!! AAARGH! I’ll take it-baby steps.