Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Speachless over this commerical I saw

2»

Comments

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I’m glad i didn’t see this commercial! Completely insane!!! But, i have to say, it doesn’t shock me! Sad…

• Here’s the advertising idea: In May 2006, the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) threatened to file a lawsuit against Cadbury Schweppes for labeling 7 Up as “All Natural”[40] or “100% Natural”,[41] despite containing high-fructose corn syrup. While the U.S. FDA has no definition of “natural”, CSPI claims that HFCS is not a “natural” ingredient due to the high level of processing and the use of at least one genetically modified (GMO) enzyme required to produce it.[42] On January 12, 2007, Cadbury Schweppes agreed to stop calling 7 Up “All Natural”.[43] They now call it “100% Natural Flavors”.[44]

Snapple (another Cadbury-Schweppes brand) is well-known for being labeled “all-natural”, but most varieties contain HFCS. Newman’s Own Lemonade and Limeade are labeled as “all-natural” but also contain HFCS. Bread produced by Nature’s Own Bread is labeled as having “no artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors”, though some varieties contain HFCS.[45]

All natural my butt

• chakra-why is agave lumped into that list? What is so bad about it?

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Agave is cooked to make it sweet – not really raw…

• My agave says it’s specially produced at temperatures below 115 degrees… so it should be raw… although, I realize there are some debates about temperatures.. and to some people, that might be considered too high of a temp…

I get mine from realrawfood.com in case anyone was curious :)

• I’d like to believe people aren’t actually going to buy into this but there just seems to be a lack of common sense when it comes to nutrition(and other things; but nutrition in this situation). This is gonna really kick people in the metaphorical nuts as far as being well informed to make choices about what they should put in their bodies. I’m really wondering why the governments that are supposed to be acting in the best interests of the population (in theory) allow this kind of bullshit. It’s so frustrating because I don’t know what to do to raise awareness so that more people care and try to stop this BS from continuing into the future. people’s Apathy, I think, lets this happen. And as far as the label “NATURAL” I think this sums it up well: nat·u·ral /ˈnætʃərəl, ˈnætʃrəl/ –adjective 1. existing in or formed by nature Unless they are using a different definition of the word altogether, I wouldn’t think carbonated glorified sugar water qaulifies. IMHO

• My agave is raw as well. Even if it wasn’t, I don’t think it is fair to lump it in with HFCS, GMOs, and red meat. Geez.

• OMFG there is another one!!! I just watched it! Another ONE, with two women talking about the punch they are serving to their CHILDREN! Holy CRAP, nothing is sacred. They are pushing the “everything in moderation” ploy…can I do crack in moderation…how about heroin???

• It’s not so much a temperature argument…Believe me I know my opinion is quite bias, but I stand by it. Maybe it’s not fair but, I feel that agave is pretty much the same concept as hfcs. It’s imo unnaturally sweet with not nearly enough vitamins or minerals to give it any balance. It seems to me that agave is just left-over goo from the process of tequila that some genius decided to market as a health food, rather than a bi-product. If I’m wrong, then I apologize. And sorry for leaping off the original topic matter…

• I see where you’re coming from, but I haven’t seen a single source, reliable or not, showing negative effects of agave. It has a low glycemic index and is more easily used by our bodies, so no spikes in blood sugar. Sure the whole reason for it being marketed in the first place might be because it was a by-product of making tequilla, so what? What’s the harm in it? (and whether you say “by-product” or “left-over goo”, they mean exactly the same thing, whether you make it sound gross or not.)

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

My best guess is there is one or more studies on HFCS that will be released within the next year by an agency most people recognize as legitimate and the study will not be good for this industry. Their PR machine is in force now. The product is ubiquitous, never had to be advertised before, and there is no cheaper substitute coming to market. They aren’t losing market share. They are probably bracing for some future event.

• The HFCS people know that everyone is making an attempt to live more healthful lives and they feel threatened by that. They gotta make $$$ somehow. How are they going to make money when we know that HFCS is damaging to our health and therefore, eliminate it from our diet? I seen the commercial today, where the girl offers her man a lick of her popsicle and then tells him that HFCS is “fine in moderation”. Are they serious? I’m sorry, but they have not won me over. And they never will with an attempt like that.

AZUL BLUE – I sure hope you are right and people are learning it is dangerous. I read a long article on HFCS almost two years ago that shocked and educated me. It is a topic I often bring up to discuss with others. I don’t recall anyone (unless they had already stopped eating SAD) that understood it to be a health concern.

My assistant and I worked in the office today and I brought lunch, which included two bottles of Izze carbonated juice. I explained to her it was all juice and didn’t have HFCS in it. She is a very bright woman but had no idea about the associated health concerns but she did know it was in many of the foods she eats..

• Is HFCS listed in the ingredients as just that, HFCS? Or can it be called something else?

It can be listed as:

1. High fructose corn syrup;
    2. HCFS;
    3. Glucose/fructose; or
    4. Glucose-fructose

It may have other names too but these are the ones I know about. Should someone know other terms that may be used, it would be great if they posted them.

I am a little concerned that they may start mixing it with other ingredients and then listing only that named ingredient so the individual components remain unknown to consumers,

• Thanks Meditating. I suppose it’s just one more reason to not eat anything processed. Peace, Karuna

• they are getting it into people’s psyche; “corn syrup is fine in moderation”, “corn syrup is like sugar”... even if people see the commercial and laugh and say, yeah right… it is still entering their consciousness… that if someone can’t remember the arguments for why eating it is bad for your health, then it must be fine!

:(

• Sick. The stench of their lies burns my nostrils. It smells even worse than the tv commercial which claimed that coal burning is a clean source of energy.

• ajchanterajchanter Raw Newbie

They catogorize sugar & HFCS as ‘Natrual’???????

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

harmonylia good point (p2). I like your logic… with their ridiculous ‘moderation’ theory.
    HFCS, Crack, and Heroin are all poison. But they get to legally sell theirs. It’s so F’d up!

• DreaDrea Raw Master

I just feel so sane in a world of insanity, thank positive vibes and good energy vibrations for you guys….I had to post this…I posted this on another thread, but I just think it’s really important..Forgive me.

Got Fresh Spinach? Lettuce? Think again! September 5th, 2008 by The Cornucopia Institute

Radiation Treatment Lowers Nutrition and Raises Spoilage Issues

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA), on August 22, published a new federal regulation permitting – but not requiring – the use of ionizing irradiation for the control of food-borne pathogens and extension of shelf life in fresh iceberg lettuce and fresh spinach.

In plain English this means that these greens, when conventionally grown, may now be zapped with high-energy Gamma rays, or electron beams (the same technology as x-rays only much more powerful). Scientific literature suggests that irradiation destroys valuable nutrients, weaken cellular structure, and leaves foods even more susceptible to spoilage. It may also, in some food cases, create dangerous chemical byproducts.

Take Action: There is a thirty day period (expiring on Monday September 22) for the filing of objections with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to their irradiation rule. Unfortunately the FDA no longer accepts regular e-mails. Instead, you may:

• send a fax to 301-827-6870 • send mail or hand delivery to: Division of Dockets Management (HFA-305), Food and Drug Administration, 5630 Fishers Lane, Room 1061, Rockville, MD 20852.

Be sure to reference Docket No. FDA-1999-F-2405 in any communications.