Walnuts

Can someone tell me why we need to soak them? Are they still good for us straight from the shell??

Comments

• Soaking nuts and seeds stimulates the process of germination, not only increasing the vitamin C content, but also increasing Vitamin B content and carotenes (pre-vitamin A). Most importantly, this soaking neutralizes phytic acid, a substance present in the bran of all grains and seeds that inhibits absorption of calcium, magnesium, iron, copper and zinc.

Traditional people always soaked their seeds and nuts before they were eaten. This is because nuts contain numerous enzyme inhibitors that can put a strain on the digestive mechanism if consumed in excess. Nuts are easier to digest and their nutrients are more readily available if they are first soaked overnight in water and then dried. Soaking the nuts and seeds in water neutralizes the enzyme inhibitors and can increase the vitamin and mineral content.

• Thank you very much. Is there a certain type of water I need to soak them in? How do I dry them? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question!

• I don’t think it’s a dumb question. You should always try to soak them in a pure water of some kind, free of toxins because that is the water they will absorb and you essentially will be digesting. On poorer days, I opt for tap water, but we have a well that we have tested independently for toxins. It’s just simply over sulfured and I hate the smell of it. But yeah, soak them in pure water, then dry them either by sun or in a dehydrator at a temperature between 95 and 105 till they are brittle.