Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Help me I have got a case of serious craves!

I have just gone raw within the past two and a half months, within the past week I have had super cravings for sweets but the really overly processed sweets I use to it and my appetite seems to be growing. Has this ever happened to anyone? What do you suggest?

Comments

• Raw cookie dough!! It definately suppressed my sweets craving tonight…hehe. (It is very sweet and has a high fat content, but it is raw!) Here’s the link. It is amazing.

http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/177-Raw-Chocolat…

And fresh fruit sometimes helps me too. If I just want sugar, I try to go for fruit, but if I want more of a comfort food, I gotta have the cookie dough!

My major cravings right now are carbs (bread, crackers, pasta) and soy meats.

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

I want cheese, like hot gooey-crispy on a pizza cheese like there is no tomorrow. Must find alternative!

• I’m with ya on the pizza too!! I’m excited to go to a raw restaurant tomorrow, and already thinking about getting the raw pizza! I’m afraid if I get it, I’ll be disappointed though and will regret not just giving in and going to the vegan pizza shop down the street. I will probably focus on something else though….like their yummy smoothies! UGHH….that vegan pizza is so delicious and tempting! I can’t wait until I get to the point in my raw journey that cooked food won’t sound good anymore! I’ve been there for years with meat and a few months with dairy….cooked food might take longer though!

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

This recipe “Raw-Vegan Stringy Cheese! Yes!” shows how to make raw vegan stringy cheese (basically just add the stringy bits from sweetcorn cobs), hope this helps with any cravings!

• oh my goodness for me if i get cravings, it’s for some peanut buttter! and not the raw kind, because it’s too expensive for me! lOl. and i swear i could eat the whole jar… ;)

• Yes, I too have struggled with cravings. I find that the more raw I am, the less cravings I have. So my solution is to try to find raw solutions for whatever I’m craving. The Real Cheddar Cheeze sauce got me through quite a few evenings as did Zoe’s Cheese and Spring Onions. Also, the pumpkin seed crackers and Kandace’s onion bread.

Good luck. Peace, Karuna

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Don’t worry guys! For me, it only took six months of eating high raw ~95% (except spices, agave, nama shoyu type things) to get rid of all cooked cravings! In fact, at three months I didn’t even think about cooked food. I know that for everyone it’s different.. but perhaps it won’t be long till you stop craving cooked.

Oh – I’m also never around cooked food, that helps a LOT. I don’t see it, don’t smell it – so of course I don’t crave it.

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Winona I am curious, how come you’re never around cooked food? is everyone you hang out with raw? That would be cool. However, for me it is the things I can imagine in my brain that cause me to have cravings…

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

When I’m craving sweet (and usually chocolate too at that special time of the month), I make a chocolate paste (carob powder, cacao powder, almond butter, and agave nectar adjusted to your tastes), and then I stuff dates with it. Sooooo good. It’s sweet, satisfying, and also portable!

springleaf – good question! it’s amazing how well things have worked out to accommodate my raw lifestyle. I live alone, so my kitchen only contains raw food. I prepare all food at home and eat alone. As it so happens, all of my friends are part of an outdoor club. I meet up with friends to kayak, swim, ski, pick berries, bike, sail, hike. When we eat together, it involves sharing some fruit during a hike in the woods. These folks aren’t raw, but they happen to love raw food without knowing it. hehe. I have even gone to potlucks with this group, and more than half of the dishes were raw.

Occasionally some other friends will join me at a raw food restaurant. I go out to bars to meet up with some friends – in which case I’ll have a glass of wine.

• NATURE’S ULTIMATE CANDY = DATES, FRESH…RIPE…PLUMP…JUICY…MEDJOOL DATES. Quick and easy, no frills, all thrills… and 1/4 cup servings of dried fruits are good too. Fruit is a natural desert – figs and bananas are royal craving curbs too but dates are KING in my opinion. PS. Beautiful picture of you, it looks angelic.

• OK, if I’m going to give in to cravings for sweets, I will either have the raw choc. chip cookie dough made with powder instead of nibs. Its like eating a bowl of choc. frosting!!! Or OMG Caramel.

One way to kill a craving for nearly anything dead as a doornail is to eat some raw cultured veges. Seriously, 4 oz. of sauerkraut or beet kraut, etc, and you don’t want anything sweet. Usually I don’t want anything at all for a while after that.

I’ve hated sauerkraut all of my life until 3 weeks ago when I tried it raw. I guess I’d only had the canned stuff? Now I have 13 qts. of various flavors brewing in the basement . . . CHEAP to make, too!

• Ps. This may sound odd if one hasn’t tried it but analyzing the cravings can help you figure out where they are coming from (emotional hunger or physical hunger, nutritional restriction or defeciency, etc, past associations and good memories around food, etc.) and how to tackle them…

Try to figure out what you’re craving. Sweet, salty, crunchy, fat, chunky, smoothy, chilled, savory? What do you really want? Then just find a raw snack that satisfies it!

• Thanks everyone for all these suggestions….I definitely can see my cravings coming from old patterns (emotional for sure) will do my best to stick it out…is there a recipe online for saurkraut or beetkraut(sounds yummy and i have beets in the fridge)...Love and gratitude to all

• I have a MAJOR sweet tooth, so I can feel your pain. Here’s what I do:

Slice apples and pineapples to about 1/4 or 1/8 in thickness (depending if you want crispy or chewy). Then, mix agave or sucanat with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and a dash of salt. Put the spices in a small bowl and add about 1/2 cup of warm water and dissolve. then dip the fruit in the bowl before dehydrating. If you do it at night before bed, you’ll have a great mid-morning sweet fix. They’re really addictive, though. They taste like candy.