Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Orthorexia: ABC 20/20 TONIGHT

13»

Comments

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Just love…I hear you, Raw dance. Now onto some of your fabulous recipes!

• Raw Dance – I have been reading your posts, profile, and website, but remaining quiet up until now. I want to tell you how amazing, inspiring, courageous, well-balanced, clear spoken, refreshingly open, honest, incredibly forgiving, loving, tolerant, empathetic, and humble you are. And yet you are also assertive when you need to be in order to help yourself remain in a healthy state(which is a wonderful example to us of how and when to be assertive and still not come across as any kind of jerk). :)

You are truly, truly a gift of Light to our world and I just wanted to tell you. Your pain and suffering is not in vain for all the Light, Love, and awareness you have, and are bringing, into this world. You have my deepest respect for who you are- the beautiful person, awe-inspiring loving soul you are.

Sending you loving, healing thoughts. I hope you realize just how special and amazing, and, obviously, incredibly strong you are. Thank you for blessing this community with your grace and presence. You have already had such a tremendous affect on us here in just a few short weeks, I can only imagine the change you will continue to inspire in others. :)

• You are all so kind. I really appreciate it. I have gotten so much crap for my raw food lifestyle throughout my treatment and others I have come across who aren’t raw but have eating disorders.

This is a place of love and I’m not just talking love for raw food. You are all GENUINE souls with good hearts made of pure gold and glitter (yes, tons of it). Each of you SHINE.

It means so much to me to have your support and newfound friendships. I am also glad to see you get the chance to walk with me throughout my recovery while I continue to use raw in my healing process. I have a long ways to go. 12 1/2 years of treatment and I still have much weight to gain, health to restore and sanity to grasp ahold of… Every morning I wake up I am blessed and doing what I can do each day to hopefully see another. I have many reasons to want to live and continue to fight and must keep those close to my heart.

I wish for all of you – the same – for we all have our own demons we must fight, none better or worse than the other. A struggle is a struggle but A FIGHT IS A FIGHT.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I finally got to watch the segment (I watched the right thing right? It was only like 18 minutes?). I don’t know if it was the the way the web displayed the thing but it obviously seemed purposefully edited in a certain way to make the raw foods look bad. I had no idea that 20/20 had become like the TV version of the National Enquirer. Yuck! It used to be more professional and “newslike” – I was shocked. It has definately joined the ranks of bad E! television and gossip shows. What happened to that cute little ticking scientific looking clock at the begininng that they used to have? Scientific news – not!

Yeah,what is with that host guy – He didn’t look healthy too me either (esp with that 70s style moustache that needs to be shaved off). I am sure he is holding on to a spare tie under that suit. Although, I am sure the producers or whoever told him what questions to ask to make the raw foodists look and feel awkward so it probably isn’t really all his fault. Alot of times the editors rip up all the good footage and put it in the order they want to make it how they WISH it had turned out and not the true story at all.

That whole segment looked like it purposely put together that way because someone wanted to make raw food look really bad. So, they took the extrememes and said “THIS is raw food” which is absolutely NOT the norm as we all know.

I am sure orthorexia exists and I agreee with the part that said it is like an OCD like shopping, overeating, handwashing, stove-checking, etc…but IT isn’t RAW FOOD. 20/20 tried to make it out like it is all raw foods fault that people might get involved with it this way. Like there is no escape and it is part of raw foodism.

I am sure you could have orthorexia and NOT be a raw foodist – there are plenty of people obessesed with being healthy. What about those people who take like 30 vitamins a day or spend all their time at the gym trying to buff up and drink those GNC protein shakes – apparently THAT stuff is ok but raw food is not. The whole report was totally geared to knock raw food. I don’t think they were trying to help anyone with that report – they were trying to hurt.

Johnny, you on the other hand, did a fab job of standing up for raw. They should have focused more on you than other girl (but of course they would focus on her because she is not on the RAW SIDE anymore – see her eating baby food and that list of meat and dairy products that showed up on the side – She went back to the SAD side so SHE is OK – ugh). Don’t let that report get you down – you are going to do fabulous and recover!

Was it just me or did they almost try to look like raw foodism is like being in a cult? “Go raw , get too skinny and die…” – that was basically the convulted message. How ridiculous!

20/20 is just one dumb idiotic show – just like I always thought it was.

Ok, that is queenfluff’s say. :)

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Just saw 20/20. Being raw for almost 4 years and now 53 lbs over weight. Wounder why they didn’t interview someone like me?? Not sensational enough. Right? Maybe due to the fact there are a lot of obese people out there who eat SAD foods!

• beany because the piece was on orthorexia not weight loss or raw foodism, its sad that a topic on a disease that can and will kill was tied into dietary lifestyles – including raw – and that viewers did not get the correct message across : (

• Great point Johnny about overfeeding anorexia. I believe Karen Carpenter was taken from us due to this. Huge tragedy. Anyway,my wife and I received similar feedback from friends/family who saw the program. Is what you are doing safe?..Did you see the “raw”food guy? Unreal..people eat garbage, are grossly overweight, sick from diabetes, cancer, heart disease by the millions from poor diet..they see one small documentary twisted by self-serving money hungry sensationalistic networks about an illness that perhaps maybe is linked to raw lifestyle and that is the message they take away. Raw food causes orthorexia,.. raw foodies are weirdos… raw food is for extremeists.. Soo sorry this has been twisted like this Johnny. I like everyone else here understands what the story was about and we can see how terrible this eating disorder can be. I personally will keep educating friends and family on raw and if orthorexia comes up will do my best to educate them on this as well. At least now I am aware of it, know what it is, and can speak about it to others. Like I said in a previous post, this is all due to you and your great ability to educate/inform. Keep it up..and hoping each of your tomorrows are better than your yesterdays.

• For crying outloud, I feel horrible that multiple people here (and I’m sure elsewhere) have been attacked by friends, family, church, etc. because of this document. I am sure they speak in concern and care but they also speak in ignorance to the connection of a healing raw food diet and someone who deals with orthorexia and other eating disorders.

I made it clear to ABC that I would NOT go on film and speak nationally if they did not mention something about me having other eating disorders.

Anorexia nervosa is my primary eating disorder. I have dealt with it since I was a child. I have always been underweight. Raw food has done nothing but help me in my healing process.

I shouldn’t have to defend my dietary lifestyle to the world and NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF YOU have to. So I am so sorry people are approaching you on my emaciated behalf.

I will ask of you all, if ANYONE approaches you like how people have been approached here – from what they have said in comment thread – Please respond back to their concern and tell them that Johnny speficially asked of you to make it clear that he is underweight from eating disorders, not his raw food lifestyle and if you aren’t eating disordered or have a past history or tendency to develop an eating disorder then they have nothing to worry about. Food will never be the root to a psychological disease, there is way more to the story, deep roots that causes these disorders to develop.

I feel so horribly bad that you are having to defend your dietary lifestyles as well. We must acknowledge though that these people were open to learning by watching the document. Now, we can set them straight with the correct facts and not just some 14 minute piece they say that misconcepted orthorexia nervosa in the ways that it did. There were some strong points that were valid but also useless clips like the raw food clips… I was told that Kulvinskas was one of the only ones willing to talk about this on abc and because him, Bratman and I all follow – or once for Bratman, a raw food diet then that is why they focused on this dietary lifestyle as a practice some orthorexic might engage in…Poor Kulvinskas got made to look like some monster from the clips chosen to present him and I think I was made to look like a skeleton due to raw foods! when really that’s from anorexia! and I am working on it with raw foods! Everythings a big panty twist!!! You guys I’m not talking cute hello kitty panties, I’m talking some amjor granny panty twist here!!! I think I’m going to go run around the block with granny panties on my head to let go off some of this frusteration on the mix up.

So please, use me as your defense and not a big spiel about how you have to justify or validate your raw food lifestyle to anyone who attacks you. People really need to focus on their own plate… right…

And I feel bad that Kulvinskas’s appearance got attacked as I get this almost everyday and know how horrible it feels. Who cares what he looks like. He says he feels more alive than ever and that is what counts. He is out there fighting for what he believes in and what has helped him and many other people. He is a figure. I’m shocked John had the nerve to talk smack about his appearance. I’m sorry but we did not participate to sign up for a flippen fashion show!!!!!! what the hell!!!!!!! I would of brought my best high heels for that!! and favorite pair of pink flowered granny panties… laughing out loud hardcore here:::

You guys, we aren’t just living in the Raw Revolution, we all ARE the RAW REVOLUTION and if it’s working for you then more power to you. Keep rocking the free world and living life to the fullest in good health. Kulvinskas was SPOT ON CORRECT when he said people who are living longer these days are living longer because they are hooked up to machines and living off drugs to prolong their lives. People are functioning due to dependency on the medical field because their bodies can’t naturally hold up anymore. Don’t you see them depending on these things even younger in age these days? Then they need it to survive and without it they die. I’m not going to bash what is keeping someone alive but I can say that I would rather choose a different route and go a more natural way. I think you understand what I’m saying here.

See ya’ll soon, bring your best pair of granny panties.

Ciao bellas and bellos

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Johnny…please don’t feel bad. I believe it’s important you DO NOT place ANY blame on yourself for how the show turned out. You were open and honest and that is one of your biggest attributes and charms. What that show did to the information was perverse and it wasn’t your fault at all; it was out of your control. Please be at peace…we live in a sick world with people who want to stay sick. I consider you healthier then any other person on that show, because you are so focused on healing and inner change. That’s amazing – YOU are amazing.

I’m so glad that raw foods are helping you. :::heart::: You are a role-model in your crusade for healing and health. You’re walking the walk – keep on, keeping on!

• as a fellow ed/mood disorder sufferer I totally see where u are coming from. Now I think that we should all move on from this topic since johnny has asked since it is a trigger for him. Once again johnny your strength is amazing !

• as a fellow ed/mood disorder sufferer I totally see where u are coming from. Now I think that we should all move on from this topic since johnny has asked since it is a trigger for him. Once again johnny your strength is amazing !

• johnny-fwiw-Alissa Cohen did a bit on raw foods on the tyra show, wasn’t shown in the most flattering light. Just wanted you to know to be prepared…much love and kisses, my dahling one. :)

• itouristitourist Raw Newbie

On the Tyra show it was the other dietologists (whatever you call them) that were negative about raw foods. The female said it was missing B12 and I think the doctor said that it’s a fad diet. They were not respectful.

Funny thing though, each dietologist got their own overweight person to try out their specific diet. There were two chef ladies who said how much they love meat in their bio clips who visibly cringed when they found out they had Alisa Cohen. Later they showed how well everyone did. One of Alisa’s girls wasn’t too committed and didn’t lose but a couple of pounds. But the tall chef came back, lost a considerable amount of weight. She said the raw diet changed her life and that she now wanted to be a chef at one of Alisa’s restaurants.

Diet challenges where they weigh people really are anti-health games. It’s not about what you weight but whether you have developed good eating habits to replace the bad ones.

Tyra, a meat lover herself, probably will go for sensation to link the raw diet to orthorexia. That’s o.k. though. I think we all listen to things to pick out things we like in a way to comfort ourselves. So meat eaters will say look at what not eating meat could do. But so what.

Everyone here might have been bothered at one time or other by unhealthy people. It’s no big deal. They usually start focusing on the person who needs to be focused on.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

TheRawDance, you looked good and did fine. 20/20 does fluff pieces, so there’s no reason for folks to get upset. The show never said raw food lifestyle caused disease and I think the non-raw fooders who assume it are just typical viewers. 20/20 has always been first and foremost an entertainment show. It is not a news show; never has been. You did fine:-)

• Well first off, we haven’t been able to connect so I’m not even sure what they wanted of me.

I can honestly say that if I had the oppurtunity to go on a talk show I would NOT be focusing my attention on raw. I would be focusing my attention on bringing educate and awareness to eating disorders in hopes of helping people – especially young children.

I still struggle with eds. I will never say I’m fully recovered until I reach that point.Everyday is filled with thoughts and behaviors that still keep me sick in my eating disorders. I will never deny this. The point is I am trying and not just sitting down doing nothing or being so hopeless that I just give up. Therefore, it’s one thing to struggle but still fight and another to struggle and give up.

With that being said, if I ever get the chance to do more media on EDs, I would in a heartbeat as long as I was able to be honest about where I was at in my ed and recovery at the moment.I would mention raw as a tool in my recovery and the wonderful experience but I would NOT and will not even attempt to be a public figure or guru for raw IF I am still at an unhealthy weight as it makes raw look ill/sick. If one does not know my story they would look at me and think raw food make my body look so thin. A lot of people think raw foodists only eat fruit and vegetables. I hear this all the time. I get more kcals in with raw then I ever did with SAD kinds of diets. People who claim to know nutrition really know a lot less than they think they do… and I am including medical professionals I’ve dealt with in that statement.

All I know is that we never know what is going to happen to us. We NEVER know but I know that while I am alive and breating, I want to use my voice for all it’s worth. I want to create change and help others while I continue a path of trying to heal some viscious issues/monsters… suck it for all it’s worth while I still have it… right.

I’m basically saying that I don’t want to live a life like a tree of apples that fall and rot into the earth… I want to life a life like a tree of apples in abundance, pick them and freslhy serve them to the world.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

You are so amazing! Glad to have read all of your comments, you truly think things thru and express them beautifully!

Never blame yourself for any of the small-minded comments from people that are warning any of us about the raw food diet. They are the same people that were probably warning others about Atkins or Pritkin or Carbohydrate Addicts Diet or really any other diet. They see the tiny little clip of skewed info on tv, form misinformed thoughts from that 2 minute clip, and take it as the word of God…sort of like reading the junky tabloids while buying groceries and taking it as the truth? :) I like a comment I read the other day, I’m sorry I cannot recall who wrote it at the moment, but their reply to bogus warnings from family members was, “I’ve researched what I eat, have you?” :)