Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Popcorn Predicament

I’m pretty new to raw, and I’m absolutely loving it, but I REALLY miss popcorn. Raisins are good to eat while watching a movie, and so are dried peas. Any other suggestions for substitutions???

Comments

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

http://goneraw.com/recipes/4703-Green-Popcorn-f…

There you go. Never tried it, but people seem to say it soothes their popcorn craving

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

not quite the same is the raw cauliflower popcorn. sadly. maybe some kind of raw cracker with fun spices in it?

i just go for berries or raw ice cream. mmmm.

• SueSue Raw Newbie

Well, I hate to be a devil’s advocate, but when I want popcorn, I eat…...POPCORN. Cravings don’t go away overnight. It’s a process. If you crave something, have it! Don’t ever beat yourself up for it.

• I think to stick to raw foods I have to avoid trigger foods. If you can just eat popcorn and thats it, you are lucky! I can’t seem to leave it at just that.The good news for me is that the longer i avoid giving in to my ‘trigger’ foods that I crave, the easier it gets.

• When my daughter and I have movie night, we sit and watch a movie and used to eat popcorn. The last time we tried a big bowl of grapes, and that did the trick. yummy.

A messier alternative might be kale chips, which get crispy and salty, and might satisfy that urge.

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

My daughter had a great solution to this once. She said, “Mom, I’m making popcorn tonight!”—and I assumed she would be making regular popcorn… but when I came downstairs she said, “It’s raw!” with a big smile on her face. She had cut the corn off of 2 ears of corn, put it into a bowl, and sprinkled a lot of sea salt on top of it. It was delicious!

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

When I get an urge for some food like pop corn I think o.k., what is the combination. The popped corn itself is bland, and starchy. If my body wanted starch I would have wanted something like bread. Then there is the salt and butter. Remembering butter is also salty, I eat a dab of salt and that does it for me. My body need is satisfied.

• rawgypsy7rawgypsy7 Raw Newbie

yes that is a good solution, identify the craving and break it down…usually it is just an emotional craving and if you can recognize it as that, you can see that you need to work on that level and not just feed the emotions with food. That is all part of the process of letting go and giving over to this incredible lifestyle.

i also crave popcorn sometimes and i give it to my kids once in a while during a movie. I have a few pieces just to reminisce, then i appreciate those emotions and let the gratitude fill me instead of the entire bowl of popcorn. A good fix for salty cravings is dulse, though it doesn’t do that crunch thing that popcorn does.

I keep almond flax crackers on hand always and they can help me get over the urge to eat chips or something like that. I like the raw corn idea. I’m wondering how it would be if you soaked it in salt water, sprinkled with spices and dehyrated it. Maybe like corn nuts? Ok i have two ears of corn in the fridge. I’m going to try this and i’ll report back here.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Please do!

• oh, soaking and dehydrating corn, that’s a great idea! I have a few ears right now… I was also considering blending the corn and making some patties to dehydrate a bit, make little tamales with a filling of some sort. I’m just not sure if it would taste good, and I don’t want to waste it—I’d rather just eat it raw in a salad.

I’m soaking some red potato slices and plan to dehydrate them as an experiment… see if they are good chip replacements, maybe I’ll try some corn too.

great idea!

• I like to take seaweed and put it in the sun so it gets crispy. Satisfies all my salty cravings.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

sue I couldn’t do that. there is a reason i am all raw. kernels like that in my guts and the stuff i would put on it would just not sit well with my digestion. plus, if i gave into my cravings for alcohol i would become a huge mess. i have to identify why i am craving something. typically it is either a deficiency or detox in my case. then i think about if i am bored or hungry. if i’m hungry, i eat (something raw). if i’m bored, perhaps i need to get moving and do something more exciting. plus, smells are free. you can always feel free to smell it in the air and just leave it at that!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Yeah, the popcorn monster gets me too. I have too many good childhood memories attached to popcorn to give it up entirely. (actually the best memories I have some how have popcorn attached to them).

I tried once to make a raw popcorn and it didn’t go great. I have idea number two in my head somewhere and that will be my next experiment but until then real popcorn it is.

For those who feel bad about eating it: I read in a fasting book once that there was a guy who used ot eat popcorn to break his fast. Why? Because the roughage of the popcorn helped to push out any extra waste that hadn’t been eliminated yet so it helped him clean the rest of hiself out.