Green smoothie question, about kale and/or collards

Heretofore, I have been juicing my greens, and putting the juice in the blender with fruit to make green smoothies. In approximately 4 days, that will change, as my refurbished Vitamix 5200 will have (hopefully) arrived in the mail.

Wondering, when you personally make your green smoothies, do you rip the green stuff off the spine, or do you just throw the whole leaf in there?

Just don’t want to do it wrong, that’s all. Thanks.

Comments

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

if the spine is really thick, like in a giant kale or collar leaf, I remove that part. Of course, I just have a run of the mill cheapo blender, so i try to be easy on it :)

• I remove the leaves and save the spines for juicing lol. I’m a freak about letting stuff get wasted

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

and if you don’t want to juice it, you can compost it :)

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Throw it all into that refurbished blender when it arrives… Your body will love the fiber!!! And you wont know it’s there… GRIN

• SueSue Raw Newbie

I agree with waterbaby. I have a vitamix and it puree’s everything but the kitchen sink, and it would puree that! Personally, I shuck the kale leaves from the thick stem just because that’s what I do, but with a powerful blender, I think you can throw it all it.

• Paxton SquiggledyPaxton Squiggledy Raw Newbie

Thanks for the input, guys. :-)

I think I will try using whole leaves, and see how that works out. Just really concerned that I will gag myself, but if the vitamix can truly liquefy even the spines, then that’s great.

Thanks again.