Coconut Problem!

How in the world am I supposed to get the meat out of a coconut? I have drained the water and it is currently split in half, but I don’t know where to go from here! I’ve tried using a knife, a fork, and even a spoon! But nothing works! Any ideas?

Comments

• LOL the age old question of how the F* to get the meat out of an older coconut. I use one technique that works pretty well. Take a nice strong shortish knife and slice a small triangle starting from the top of the broken edge and slant down then move over an inch and slice down to make the slices meet. Then stick the knife in the area between the shell and the meat of the triangle and pry it out, it should wiggle out probably with the brown skin on it, then continue to slice and pry till it’s all out. Takes a while. But that’s my offering. Hope it helps!

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I just keep beating on it with a hammer into smaller and easier to work with pieces until the meat comes out with a pry of the knife. Also, if you leave it sitting out for an hour or two, the meat comes out more easily.

• Thanks for the advice! I’m slowly but surely working away at it!

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

This thread from earlier this month has some suggestions, including a link to a video.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Tried youtube???

• No, but I got most of the meat out after struggling with it for almost 2 hours. Next time, though, I’ll check it out! There must be a better way!

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

This guys got some great tips including how to open a coconut. Now, thanks to him I can do it in a minute. http://www.producepicker.com/Home.html By the way, he’s got lot’s of great tips about how to cut things, choose things, etc.

• There is a special tool for that sold at Asian markets.Preferable Thai or Vietnamese.

• Get a brand new screwdriver so it is clean:) and use it to pry the meat out. That’s what I have done. But I now just eat the meat of the young coconut. It is the best so delicious and feels so nurturing to eat it!

• I go about it a whole lot differently. I use a very coarse grinder and grind the shell off, until I get to the meat, then work it from there.

• OMG No Bones, Now please, go on, LMAO.

• someone i know actually uses a vice to open them. he drains the water and then puts the coconut into the vice and slowly starts to squeeze it. it cracks and then the meat pops out from the shell when the pressure builds up. its pretty cool. LOL

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Here’s a link to thenaughtyvegan.com with expert instructions on how to remove the coconut meat. There are also instructions on opening mature and young coconuts on this website. :)

http://www.thenaughtyvegan.com/coconutmeat.htm

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I just saw what the naughtyvegan does and it’s very time consuming! Just whack the coconut a number of times with the BLUNT edge of a heavy knife and the meat detaches. Then with the eyes on your right and the coconut in your hand (over a bowl) hit the coconut a number of times (5 is usually enough) using the BLUNT side of the blade. Voilà, the coconut cleaves in half and most of the meat is already detatched. See the produce picker site I mention above. He’s got a video.

• CaresCares Raw Newbie

I cut verticle slices across each coconut half first, then wedge them out with the knife. It is the slicing that makes it come out easy, trying to wedge it out without slicing it just makes a lot of hard work and makes it hard to get the last of it out.

But, I am definitely going to try the vice trick (memberingoodstanding). My kitchen already looks like a tool shop with hammers and drill etc…so why not a vice too :-)

• hey Cares … i am getting one too! why not? i think a vice would be great to open hard shelled nuts as well. the more tools the merrier!

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Personaly, if I was going to use a vice to open coconuts etc I would also order a pair of safety specs. I think coconut shell in the eye at high speed may be painfull…