Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

weird pee smell

bittbitt Raw Newbie

I think my pee smells weird. I have been raw for about 4 and half months. I eat a lot of fruit, and sometimes my pee smells fruity or sweet. Is this a problem? I don’t want to see a western med doctor, because I don’t think it’s an infection. But you don’t always know.

Comments

• My urine smells off when I eat things like brocoli, asparagus or cabbage categories, I know if you have an abundance of certain vitamins it comes out as well.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

When I eat a lot of sweet fruits, my poo and my pee smells fruity, LOL. I was pure fruitarian for a number of months over the summer and after awhile, I would leave the bathroom perfumed like sweet-something-or-other everytime I used the toilet. It amused me that my “sh*t didn’t stink.”

• LMAO so moth, you’re sh** didn’t stink eh. That makes me giggle widely.

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

I wouldn’t be concerned unless it had a foul smell. You’re right, it doesn’t sound like an infection

• My urine has a very strong smell when I eat asparagus. We’re all different, so particular foods will be potent when passed. I talked to some people about the asparagus, and they didn’t notice a smell.

• Asparagus always makes pee smell weird, so I don’t think it is a problem. Infections are often as a result of dehydration, so drinking a good amount of water should keep this at bay. Also, infections can make pee cloudy. A diet of raw food is probably detoxifying the body, I guess, so it would make sense that the body’s toxins are eliminated this way. If you don’t feel well or are too thirsty or have pain on urination, then I guess it would be a good idea to get it checked out!

• I still drink coffee …..(hanging head in shame).... usually only one cup a day but IF I have more than that, I piss interesting coffee smells. ewwww. I’ll take fruity poo and pee.

• LOL mama milk, that’s funny, I recently went back to coffee last month (it was a rough summer :P ) and then kicked it again last week, and I notice the same thing! Too funny. Coffee pee.

• rawk ‘n rawl is right you might want toget some blood work done (check for diabetes, malnurishement ext.) Just in case.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

ok, this is good info. i do still take supplements (i am on month 5 of a 6 month treatment—almost done!) so that could be it. i might have too much of a certain nutrient in me that’s peeing out. i hope i am not diabetic, i don’t have any other symptoms so i am guessing i am ok but i will check with my doc soon if it gets worse and i am seeing my naturopath in a month.

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

I’ve heard rumor that pineapple especially will do this… and make other bodily fluids sweeter as well!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

oh i have been eating more pineapple lately, actually, a lot at school. i didn’t have any today, i will sniff it out. LOL.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

rawk ‘n rawl ,it wouldn’t be diabetes because that sickening smell would be coming off all over and in the breath, not just the urine. I think the OP is just smelling what she ate

OP, try broccoli pee on for size, lol, that is truly rank

• LOL @ all you wee and poo sniffers…gross!

• This thread title was funny. I know that asparagus used to make my pee incredibly strong smelling, but I haven’t eaten any asparagus since I’ve gone raw. It just doesn’t seem like it would be good raw. Also the whole stinky, dark yellow pee thing.

• Isn’t that a good thing? I’d love to have fruity smelling pee. My pee doesn’t smell anywhere near as strong as when it did when I ate cooked food.

And yes chicory, what you said about pineapple is very true. I ate pineapple everyday for like, a month, I think. I definitely noticed I smelled like pineapple in “special” places. Sorry if this is TMI.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

it still smells although not as strong as with pineapple. believe me i am not doing anything special to smell it, it just does! we have a “if it’s yellow let it mellow” philosophy but we had to change it due to me.

• Normally sweet smelling fluids is a sign that you are spilling sugars. It may not mean diabetes but it could mean that you might need to adjust the amount of fruit you are taking in, especially if that sweet smell comes with irritation. As a raw foodist you are likely someone who is more in tuned with your body and drinking more water than a normal person so other normally associated signs and symptoms may not be apparent.

If you haven’t seen your doctor already, you might want to consider it as apposed to waiting to see your naturalist without making adjustments yet to your diet. You’d want to be normal and true to it before you have anything looked at in order to prevent false positives or negatives in testing. This way you’re better able to make adjustments in either direction. =)

Best of luck. _

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

I have always been told that sweet urine is a sign of diabetes, I would get this checked out just to be sure, better safe than sorry!.

Mamamilk: I hardly every drink coffee, and whenever I do it always makes my wee smell funny, just something we can’t process getting passed out i guess…

• I think your problem is on your food that you ate. Do your toilet have any smell like Urine? If have, tell me because I am having a problem with it.