Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Fruit flies

I’ve got fruit flies flyin’ all around my house. What’s up. I don’t even have that much fruit out. Most of it is in the fridge. Scraps in the trash with lid. Anything I can trap em with or spray somewhere?

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I use a container with a lid sitting almost on the container… Inside the container I put scrapes from my fruits and veges, so the fruit flies will go inside… In the morning I quickly slide the top to close the container and take it outside and dump everything into the compost…

No muss, no fuss and no chemicals or fruit flies in the house…

• We live in fruit fly heaven down here. My first year with my recycle bucket it was totally nasty and full of fruit fly babies! TOTALLY NASTY. My neighbor recommended getting a 2 liter bottle (like a soda bottle) and filling it with about 1 cup apple cider vinegar and then adding a few drops of dish detergent. Shake it up and leave it out with the cap off. The flies completely flock to it and once they are in, they can’t get out. It works everytime. OK I’m prepared for at least one person to tell me it’s inhumane to kill innocent fruit flies, after all, they must have feelings and karma and the bad karma of the fruit flies will stay in my bottle. lol, sorry, just had to…

• I try to live in harmony with my fruit flies…I love all animals, insects included… My fiance on the other hand, does not agree with me and hates when our little visitors drop in… but I’m hoping he’ll begin to see the beauty in our little flying friends…they’re like little fairies. :)

As far as getting rid of them, just don’t keep ANY fruit peels or anything they like out and that eliminates the problem every time. We live by the beach and they’re everywhere here.

Love & Light,

Ella

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Same as Waterbaby only i use a little Apple cider vinegar, I punch a few holes in plastic wrap over the top, secured by a rubber band. They move in but can’t move out. This of course doesn’t work at all if the source is in the house. For me, I kept my kitchen composting bin under the sink. Bad idea!. Once i figured that out and moved it outside, my little trap worked in 2 days.

• Thank you ladies. I’ll have to give the trap a shot, or maybe I’ll start seeing them as little fairies ;)

• I’m not sure about the fairies, when the little fairy maggoty babies were crawling out of my compost bin en mass by the thousands, I was pretty skeezed out. I know it’s au natural and that’s what happens in the great outdoors but under my sink shudder

• dodododo Raw Newbie

the only way is literally to not have any raw fruit or peelings uncovered, i cover my biobin always and empty it daily, tis the only way. the real pain we get here is this little moth, all summer, they eat through plastic and infest your food with their adorable wiggly babies, their poo upsets your tummy so you have to check everything and throw it out if its infested, it was costing us a fortune so we were thrilled when someone donated two boxes of glass jars with glass lids, all my seeds, grains, nuts, dried fruits etc are safe now, le sigh. pretty gross when you see their maggots wriggling across your ceiling every morning. i even found them in a packet of pumpking seeds i kept in my desk grrrrrrrrrr.

• I am vegan, so I don’t believe in killing animals either. But I think when they are threatening me or my food supply and I can kill them with my bare hands, I have a right to. I do use (poison free and odorless, made with only mineral oil) fly paper to catch the fruit flies though, because otherwise I would be killing dozens a day which would take forever.

• What me and my roommate do is keep a bag in the fridge, and put all of our fruit peelings,etc in it. when the bag gets full we just take it out. We don’t have any problems anymore with fruit flies. We’d get them a lot in the trash can before from all the peelings,etc.

• you can keep your scraps in the freezer if you have room. i use the apple cider/detergent method, and when that fails, i take out my light saber( vaccuum) and zap the little buggars into oblivion. shanti

• I adore animals and I am relatively new to this lifestyle so I am still spraying what flies and fruit flies I get in the house. Oooops! I need to change my ways…!! I actually have a great close up shot of a fruit fly on some tomatoes I grew a few years ago, he looked pretty cute with his little buggy eyes and his little wings!

• Isn’t there some way to make them all just fly away? It seems a bit cruel to trap them in a bottle. My gran used to do that with wasps and we would creep up and liberate them when she wasn’t looking. I loved my gran but she could be cruel to her fellow creatures. I say live and let live.