Dates are raw, right?

randommararandommara Raw Newbie

Are most dates raw or are they possibly heated while processing? Thanks! Mara

Comments

• Some dates are steam cooked to make them look plump-ier. Try organic variety.

• They are raw until you or somebody else cooks them, yes.

• My mum has a date palm in her garden and every summer I collect heaps of them up. I didn’t think you have to cook dates.

• Mmmm dates are my favorite. I have seen some dried and rolled in oat flour. I have also seen fresh ones rolled in oat flour with coconut. Floured dates? They are perfect in their natural state. They are wonderful stuffed with walnuts or coconut but alone they are DIVINE! How wonderful that you Mom grows them. They take SO LONG to grow and fruit, like avocados. I think they are well worth the wait though.

• The palm is by her pool, it is huge, probably about 20 years old. Heaps and heaps of dates on there. Yummy!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Your best bet might be to order dates online, direct from folks who grow them. Or if you buy them at the store, check with the manufacturer to determine if they are raw. I get mine in bulk from an organic food coop, so I’m guessing that they are raw.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I’ve heard datepeople are good. www.datepeople.com

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

you can buy fresh dates for £1 for 500g at most Indian and Middle Eastern shops and markets. They haven’t ever been dried and are squishy.

Some brands put vegetable oil on them. Some have been dried so aggressively that they are as tough as old boots!

• Excuse my ignorance but what are dates?

• RawSarah, Why what does it mean? I am English, maybe it means something else in american!?