Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Dry Brushing?

Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

What on earth is it?! :)

Comments

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Good question!
    I’m wondering that too…. (?????)

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

It’s awesome! ;)

Basically, you take a thick natural-bristled brush, and you brush your skin with it in long circular motions, towards your heart. It exfoliates your skin, encourages skin elasticity, and helps your remove waste through your skin. I do it every morning before taking a shower! My skin is the softest it’s been (without the use of lotion or soap) in the longest time!

There’s more info here

• It’s great for you and feels amazing! especially when someone else does it all over your body. I had a massage and they dry brushed my entire body and it was bliss. especially my back and the back of my legs.

• iknikn

AAH, it’s great! I just started this morning and can’t wait to do it tomorrow again. I read on a website that you are suppose to do it in the am. Can it be done at night too? or anytime?

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

I think you can do it twice a day if you wanted especially at first, I did. It can be quite stimulating though so I only do it in the morning now.

I love my brush! its Cactus hair I think, its my 3rd as the first I tried was synthetic from the body shop (dont bother) and the 2nd was from boots and was too soft and the bristles kept falling out!

I travel alot with with work and forgot it once – was lost without it!

Helps boost lymph – so help detox, smoothes skin, lessens appearance of cellulite… I could go on.

All I can say is do it! Start at your feet in the way heyenglish describes and work up, long sweeping strokes. It becomes part of your routine before you know it…

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I have been doing this for years just because I always liked the way my skin felt so alive after brushing. I can take a hard brushing so I use what is called a military brush. It is a wooden rectangular brush with short boar’s hair bristles on both sides. One side is tougher than the other and I prefer the harder side. This type of brush is sold in barber shops or with other hair care products and is traditionally used by men in the military sporting crew cuts or flat tops. It is used to up circulation in the scalp and cut back on dry skin that is easy to spot on those with short hair cuts plus the tougher bristles makes the hair stand up.

If you have problems with acne on your back or arms, regular dry brushing can really help although initially it may become more severe as your blood flow increases and your skin begins pushing out the impurities.

• TzefiraTzefira Raw Newbie

I love it! i use a shoe brush :) and i do it twice a day maybe more, if i feel dry during the day i’ll brush that spot of if i feel something popping up i’ll brush that spot too, after shower apply coconut oil….. Mmmm wonderful!

• Hmmm….so is it circular motions or long straight strokes? Or either? Sorry a bit confused. Is it circles or straight strokes like brushing a horse? I also got a vegetable bristle brush that says its for skin and dry brushing. It hurts! Like being scratched! and I even have little scratch marks….. no blood or anything. But I can see the little marks from the bristles like when I scratch an itch on my arm with my nails. Little….erm..tracks of dry skin. Very little tracks since the hairs on the brush are small. Is this ok? Is this skin that needs to come off? I should mention that I do have sensitive skin.

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

I adore skin brushing, especially in the morning, I find it very invigorating

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

Tuna – I think I got carried away in describing the strokes, and circular just sort of slipped in there. It’s long, sweeping strokes, in the same direction (towards your heart). I usually start with my hands, then move up my arms, then start with my feet and move up my legs, then do my torso.

As long as the brush is made with a natural fiber, it should be fine. Just try to brush gently until your skin gets more used to it. I love the rough feeling when I do it, but that’s just me.

• heyenglish-hmmm, ok. I don’t like the feeling of the brush..i prefer soft and fluffy textures.If it is good for me though, and if I can build a tolerance, I’ll just keep at it. Thanks for the clarification on whether I was waxing a car or peeling vegetable…if that makes sense.

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

Gee… Now I have to stop and get one on my way home!

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Yes annabelle! It’s so worth it. The other day I was so intrigued by what I read on here that on my way home I bought one and I’ve been LOVING it. My skin feels so good and it did other stuff too like warmed me up. I’m always cold and the good circulation it gave me really kept me warm. Also my digestive system seriously jumpstarted. As weird as that sounds.

Anyway, it’s amazing.

• SueSue Raw Newbie

I too have been doing the dry brush thing for about a year and I love it. It’s second nature to me and only takes about a minute in the am before I get in the shower. I think it has made a big difference in my skin texture and circulation. I would highly recommend it.

• It really is the best. Dry brushing – warm shower – then coconut oil. Bliss!!! :) Peace, Karuna

KARUNA I agree. I like to dry brush, take a hot shower (which is so much more pleasant with my shower filter) and then put on coconut oil.

I have some fine-grain table salt left that I bought in bulk when I was making bath scrubs. I mix it with coconut oil and essential oils and do a dry scrub with that and then rinse in hot water. The first time I did that I thought to myself “This is what it feels like to be a princess.” A salt scrub with an oil finish leaves you feeling polished and soft.

BTW – I have loved your pic forever.

• I’ve been wanting to try this. What do I do about those hard to reach places? Is there a long handle on the brush? Does it matter how thick or strong or firm the brisles are?

AZUL BLUE Different people like different strength bristles, but you really want a natural bristle because it does make a difference. Synthetic bristles tend to scratch the skin. Tampico and Earth Theraputics both make body brushes and have a product with long handles for your back. etc. Also. be sure you brush dry because vigorous brushing of wet skin is thought to damage elasticity while the reverse is true with dry brushing.

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

I have a brush from avon. it is actually a bath brush but it came with a puff and a brush and it is battery operated and goes in a circular pattern is that ok to use? as long as i try to keep it going towards the heart??

Blue Eyes I would think that anything you do to stimulate your skin would be helpful. It was always my understanding that synthetic materials actually leave small scratches on the skin.

I just realized I got your username mixed up earlier today with Azul Blue. Brainfart.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I do it daily, sometimes 2 times daily. after a colonic, several times a day. I could be imagining it, but I swear the more I do it I seem to lose more weight. (although I have not scientifically proved it at all).

Here is a link with lots of info: http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.com/healingt…

• I just bought a long handle brush by Earth Theraputics, and have dry brushed yesterday and today. I already love it. My skin had been incredibly dry lately, and it seems to help quite a bit.

I plan to do this every day if I’m not in a huge rush. I always put coconut oil on after a bath or shower, and this combo is really great. ;)

yaya littlegems! Isn’t it lovely? I love coconut oil!

• Wow, all of these positive posts are really making me want one! Can you get these brushes at a regular store, or do you need to go to someplace like PCC or Whole Foods? I’m a broke college kid, so I’m always looking for a deal. =]

hey gear shifter! I feel ya on the brokeness. I got a natural bristle brush at my local hyvee for less than four dollars. Can’t get any better than that!

• Sweet! Thanks. =]

Any Uk-ee’s I got mine at TKMaxx for a few quid – I’m taking from the above reply that you’re US but hey, thought I’d add it just in case :o)

Enjoy!

Ooh & P.S, thanks for the idea Meditating, tonight I’m gonna do the brush,oil & salt scrub/bath thing, and I think I have some organic shea butter somewhere – I’m thinking, afterwards, melted down with some ylang ylang and bed with leccy blanket & Harry Potter (I’m a wild one eh?) mmmm… Princess feeling here I come!

oh clr that sounds perfectly wonderful! I’m going to do the same thing! My neck is a bit strained after bending down alot at work so this should do the trick(I even have some Harry Potter I’ve been missing!)

Woo Hoo another Potter fan! I strained my shoulder putting up our washing line on Monday (durr) so will prob help with that too..

Enjoy!

Hope your back feels better, hugs.