Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Aborted coffee weaning!

lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I know some of you who have been around here as long as i have will laugh because how many times have I tried to kick this 1/2 cup of cold -brew organic coffee! I lasted 6 days, the longest ever. The worst part was-I REALLY missed it, I missed the routine in the am. I found myself sitting at the counter waiting for something to happen..like a trip to the bathroom maybe???? No. So I went for the green smoothie about 3 hours earlier than i normally do and well…then i just ate more through the day. i never got headaches or felt tired in any way, but I was sad. No more fun lzhpt, It’s like my day never officially began. So today, i had 1/2 c of my cold brew. It was better than i remembered and I am now alive again. I don’t think i’ll try again. I love raw, i just can’t be 100% or die. I guess i’d rather die with a few raw coffee beans in my hands and a smile on my face. :)

Comments

• if coffee brings joy into your life, drink it. we all seek to extend our lives by eating the best way we can, but what good is a long life devoid of joy? i’m feeling a bit philosophical because my grandmother just passed away yesterday, but i think that if a food or drink brings you joy; true, genuine joy, not numbness to pain or comfort; then by all means, drink that coffee and LOVE it! i am just 2.5 weeks raw but i think i will indulge in my favorite cooked meals every once in a while with people i love because it brings me joy. and it won’t kill me too much faster. lol!

• ME TOO. Carpe “Cafe” Diem : )

• iknikn

Oh, I hear you Izhpt! Though I haven’t had coffee since May, I still miss it. I miss the ritaul, the taste, the smell. I miss going to the cafe with my friends. When we do go, I drink tea, but it’s not the same.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

:D

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Coffee has been hard for me to give up too. I have had it a few times since being mostly raw, but it definitely makes you more acidic, but once in a while won’t kill ya! :) I was recommended yerba matte as a replacement. I haven’t started drinking it yet, but will be starting on that soon.

• LOL That’s Hilarious!

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

I don’t drink coffee very often, it gives me gastro problems, and it’s really weird, but I get hardcore symptoms from the caffeine 4 hours AFTER drinking!. But it is the only thing that will stop my migraine dead in its tracks. wish i could find an alternative

• caleb: i just started drinking yerba matte (i’ve tried lemon and ginger… the ginger is SO good), the traditional medicinals brand, and i love it. i highly recommend you try it! it has just enough caffeine for that little boost but no jitters and with some honey (or vegan sweetener of choice) its pretty divine.

• dodododo Raw Newbie

ive not had a cup for 3.5 weeks now and i totally dont miss it at all, in fact the only thing ive had a craving for since i went raw is potatos (ooooh you lovely wee beasties), im waiting on an mri as i have tumours that may very slightly chance be malignant so until i get the all clear im staying off all stuff that feeds cancer cells, but after i get the all clear i think the occasional potato will be part of my 5 to 10% non raw that im keeping (i cant help it, im weak for its starchy fluffyness man)

• rawperasinger – I’m sorry to hear about your Grandmother. It’s terrible to lose someone you love. It also does seem to bring about a nostalgic time which can be healing. Peace to you as you work through it. Karuna (((((HUGS)))))

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Izhpt did you ever try Teeccino? I know that it is not raw, but it might help you ease out of the coffee habit. You can mix it half & half with your coffee grounds until you gradually get used to not having coffee.
    Teechino is really good and it’s ALKALINE. My favorites are Vanilla Nut & Chocolate Mint.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

http://www.teeccino.com/Default.aspx

http://www.teeccino.com/NutritionalBenefits.aspx

http://www.teeccino.com/quitting.aspx

I’m sorry if I’m repetitive (I mentioned this product in another thread – in “COFFEE EVIL OR HEAVEN SENT?” http://goneraw.com/forums/3/topics/6857),
    > but I really love the stuff. It’s my non-raw (& only once in a while) treat.

PS: It’s Herbal.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

in my experience, the more i TRY not to do something, the worse it gets. also in my experience, if i just set an intention to quit, but continue on as normal, eventually something switches in me and the craving goes away naturally. i was on and off with wine for a LONG TIME before i honestly didn’t want it anymore.

1/2 a cup a day is hardly cause for concern. and concern is worse than poor nutrition in my opinion.

• Greetings, Izhpt.

I became a regular coffee drinker about 22 years ago, and a full-on addict six years after my first cup. By the time I got to university, a pot a day several times a week (with tons of white sugar and half n half, of course) was normal.

A little more than two weeks ago, I told myself I wasn’t going to have any more coffee. I switched to Good Earth Orignal-flavored tea and mixed it with the Yerba Mate Latte cashew milk recipe. Heaven!

But despite my efforts, I ended up having a cup of coffee yesterday and today (don’t ask how I doctored it). The difference between “falling off the wagon” this time versus the other times? I haven’t fallen off anything.

Since becoming more committed to eating raw regularly, I find myself growing more and more anti-diet. In other words, I’m putting so many good things in my body that my cravings for stuff that I “shouldn’t” eat are decreasing; and when I do crave it, I have it sans guilt. Miraculously, my body/mind/spirit doesn’t allow that crazed part of me to beat myself up when I’ve “been bad”. The energy in raw, organic foods has sneaked up on my dysfuntional relationship with food and has started couseling sessions without me even realizing it!My mentality and general relationship towards food is organically transforming.

So will I start buying ground coffee again, along with white sugar and whole milk again? No. I’ve actually found a great replacement in the tea latte, and I love the way I feel after I’ve had a nice big cup of it. But if I want some coffee, I’m not going to white knuckle it through a wave of cravings. I’m just going to have some, darnit, and that’s okay.

Like you, I don’t know if I’ll ever be 100% raw either; but I’m thankful that my body can center itself on its own and help me be happy with where I am.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Firstly, dodo, I hope you can kick the cancer and be healthy again. I’ll be praying for you:)

Secondly, I’m on my first week with no coffee and I haven’t really missed it too much. I decided that I’m only kicking my daily habit but if my friends want to go to a coffee shop I’ll join in the fun since that’s what life is all about. However, the two times I’ve been since I stopped drinking coffee I just got tea. I enjoy the gentleness of it I guess. I do miss coffee a bit but I’m coping with lovely goji berry green tea. hehe

• I’ve been struggling with quitting coffee too. lzhpt, you sound exactly like me.. the way I feel in the a.m. without my coffee. ( i’m back to trying to quit again.. day number 2. i told my husband I really can relate to alcoholics, i had to throw my cold brewed coffee in the garbage a few days ago because I can’t drink it in smaller amounts to wean myself. I had to go cold turkey. And its not going so well. sigh I really want to quit but i just don’t know how LOL!

• i quit caffiene two months ago and it was the best thing i ever did for my body and my diet. i feel incredible. although, i don’t crave coffee anymore but i do crave caffienated teas! i still haven’t succombed to this craving despite my urges. i’m trying to stick with it!

• iknikn

Artzyfartzy (love your name! =) ) I quit in May and for two weeks I didn’t do well at all. I had migraine, and horribble muscle aches! I could hardly walk., I felt like I was cut in two by a saw at my lower back. Crazy! Mentally, the way I keep away from coffee is that I tell myself I can have coffee anytime, just not today. maybe tomorrow….

• dodododo Raw Newbie

thanks troublesjustabubble but i havent been diagnosed, its unlikely the tumours are maligant as they are bone and bone cancer is rare, but i have another 18 days wait for the mri so im living totally cancer unfriendly so that if there any nasty little cancer cells i will starve the evil things out. but do pray anyway as im open to all good vibes and healing energies and many thanks. ;) (ive edited what i wrote before as it did sound like i was diagnosed didnt it blushes i must read what i write before i post it in future :P namaste kat

• I am so glad I never developed a taste for coffee. After watching my parents inability to function before having three heaping cup fulls laden with sugar and cream all my life and tasting its bitterness without the cream and sugar and its icky sweetness with I never could stomach it and decided never to bother.

Course, I do love and drink tea and despite wanting to go raw.. can never fathom giving up my tea.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

dodo, even so, whatever you’re struggling with can’t be easy and I hope you feel better anyway:)

• dodododo Raw Newbie

Thank you, its appreciated. I’ll let you know what happens. have a lovely weekend :) namaste

• ikn: good idea. thanks..I’ll try that. I realized some of this addiction is the routine of it all. I feel like I’m depriving myself of an activity I enjoy as well. I’ve been drinking coffee every morning since high school & I’m now 33. So I need to mentally re-think of the benefits of not drinking coffee will do to my body. And I’ll also tell myself that I can drink it..if I wanted to..but I really dont want to anymore :-) thanks agai.

• I totally want to give up coffee, but feel just the same as you lzhpt. The first time I had an espesso, I literally flew out of the cafe afterwards and didn’t come down for a good few hours. Trouble is, the first time i did have coffee when I was fifteen I was actually violently sick afterwards, but cos everyone was doing it (like smoking) i just persisted and my body must have given in and got used to it :( I get a similar rush if i drink a green smoothie, but it doesn’t last as long. So i hope to increase the green smoothie bit and then have coffee if i really need it. I agree that it is best not to stress about it. The problems with caffeine is that it increases the levels of cortisol in the body (the stress hormones) and if overdone, it can cause the ‘apple’ type fat on the front (moon face, torso and abs) esp if you have a stressy job. Just like pharmaceutical steroids but not so exaggerated. Hope that puts you off (i need caffeine for my stressy job with night shifts, lol, but hoping when i get more raw, i won’t feel like it!

Teecino is yum, esp vanilla. Not raw though as you say. Must be quite healthy, surely?

So sorry about your grandmother Rawperasinger, hope you coping ok. Also, sorry Dodo you have problems but you are going about it the right way. Let us know how you get on…

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Thank you all for the support as i sit here this morning with my cold brew!!! Ikn-I really appreciate the time frame. I know I didn’t give it long enough and i felt just like that. I wasn’t tired, but my body felt like I had been lifting trucks! I hurt everywhere.I’m not ready. It’s one of the few things I really want to keep. Someone posted long ago about how fearful we are when the body begins to revolt…that we cave at the slightest feeling of discomfort. Actually I remember i read that in Rainbow Green Live Cuisine. Anyway, At the time, I didn’t really think I fit that description. But I hadn’t tried to come off coffee. If i drank 6 cups a day or something like that, i think i’d be more motivated, but a half cup of cold brew? I know I’m still throwing even a little gasoline on the fire. Hmm…

• Two months ago I had two cups of mocha and 1-2 sodas. Over a year ago I switched slowly to 1/2 caffeine/ 1/2 decaf for the coffee and mostly no caffeine in the soda when I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. That was very hard to do. So I never thought I could cut out more. First I dropped the soda, switched to all decaf coffee, and then decreased the coffee to a few times a week. For the last 2 weeks I have had no coffee. During the week I am so busy that I don’t miss it, but on the weekends I make almond milk with cacoa and vanilla. I miss the warmth of the coffee so I warm the almond milk up slowly to 110 degrees.

• I gave up coffee for 6 weeks before. and although I did well ..i was sad:(( because it was NOT an addiction. I just love it. So I have been raw for 5 weeks now and still drinking coffee and I have no wanting to not drink it. So I will keep drinking it til that one day maybe my body says eh? who needs this stuff anyways.

• miss soufflemiss souffle Raw Newbie

i found that green tea that has roasted brown rice is very yum.. it has this nice umm roasted taste hehe

id really like to try some of the coffee alternatives on here as well because i have a latte every day and it doesnt really do me good! to replace it though i think i'll need that comforting taste, like what cocoa has...........

actually yogi tea has a cocoa spice tea thats very very good.. would recomend

http://www.yogitea.com/Pages/OurTeas/SpiritTeas/MayanCocoaSpice.html