struggling

Hello everybody I’m new to this site, but have been reading for quite some time now. I’ve decided to just come on here and post because I’ve been struggling so hard. I’ve been trying for probably about a year now to try and stay 100% raw. I actually have so much I want to write, but don’t want to bore people. I want to say first, you all seem like such wonderful, amazing people. This is strange for me to tell people this, because normally don’t tell people, but it seems you all are non-judgmental and probably easier because people would not know who I am. In the past, I’ve been ‘diagnosed’ with ‘ADD’, which I absolutely do not believe in. I’ve also been told I have a learning disability. Most people would have no idea as I seem normal. I have a hard time staying focused, remembering things, (my vocab is really far behind) comprehending things, reading, and I can process things slower in my head. I’m down on myself a lot, and I refuse to take medication for this. I feel that raw is my only hope to help myself. I guess I am spilling some of this out because I want people’s opinions if they think a raw diet will help me with any of these problems. Other people that have been 100% raw for sometime if they could tell a difference in any of these things I have problems with or maybe somebody has had a similar situation as me? I actually want to do the 811 diet. It seems simple. I’ve got the book, but having a hard time getting through it. I guess for the past year, i’ve felt so overwhelmed, and seems there is SO much to get down for being raw. One of the main things I wondered about is eating organic vs non. Will I get the same effects if I eat non-organic fruit? (Costco has a killer deal on fruit, and if I wash it with that veggie wash) I used to buy certain things (like apples) organic, but they’re now $4/lb instead of 2. I’m having a hard time getting a lb of salad in a day. (I do get organic greens) Any tips on making it easy to get a lb of salad in a day? I’ve tried to put a lb of spinach in the food processor to condense it down. Is there a book or something out there with just salad dressings or salads? I would really appreciate any advice anybody has, thanks.

Comments

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Aww, stene! Don’t give up. I don’t have experience with what you’re dealing with but I do know that you’ll just be healthier mentally and emotionally one raw. I hope someone has good advice for you.

Welcome to the forums. There are so many helpful people on here that can support you and guide.

p.s. I don’t buy all organic since it’s outrageous where I am and I don’t have a problem with it. It’s better than SAD for sure and I try to buy it when I can.

• Maybe doing the 811 thing isn’t right for you right now? Just a thought: if you could create a raw diet that you enjoy and look forward to it will take some pressure off and your eating will become something that brings joy and life to your body AND mind. Just eat a mix of your favorite raw foods and don’t worry too much about the numbers for a while. You have enough messages in your life telling you you aren’t ‘good enough’ and you’re ‘not doing it right’. Maybe you would find some more inner strength if YOU set the rules for your eating based on what makes YOU feel great. (That’s what keeps me raw – I know how bad my body feels when I eat cooked food, and I feel the great results of being raw). Then, when you’re feeling really good about being raw, you can revisit the idea of 811 and see if it’s right for you?

It’s just a thought, and I’m not a doctor, but I know what it’s like to feel different from everyone else, and I know what my own inner critic is like. I wonder if you just need to be more loving to yourself and less concerned about being perfect with your diet – less worry more fun with food!

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

Stene, first of all, welcome to our little family! We’re all here for you.

I was doing a lot of research on B-vitamins because I was feeling pretty low in the energy department, and I read that B-12 in particular can help a lot with memory and concentration. That might be something you want to explore. I’ve been taking the Max Stress B Nano-Plex for 3 weeks now, and I’ve definitely noticed an increase in my energy. I feel a lot more balanced. I wish I could say more about my concentration, but I’m in the last two weeks of an incredibly boring job, so I stay pretty spaced out all day. Once I start my new job next week, I’ll know more about that!

As for 811, maybe you should try easing yourself into it. I’m currently reading the book and delving into it. We have an 811 support group for this month, so you can always join us over there for any individual concerns you might have. We usually post what we eat for the day, so you can get an idea of what to eat. Have you tried doing green smoothies? It’s a great way to get enough calories (from lots of fruit) and you can use a ton of greens in them, without tasting them too much.

I know that organic is best to buy, but it’s just so expensive! If I had the money, everything I bought would be organic, but that’s just not happening at the moment. You’re making great changes for your health just by being raw, so I wouldn’t worry too much about the organic debate.

And like Wailing said, don’t be too hard on yourself! Enjoy raw food.

• Hi Stene,

First off, welcome. Thank you for your honesty. You spirits sound down and I hope we can help lift them back up!

It sounds as if your struggling with your current attempts at going 100 percent raw. Listen, diet shouldn’t be a struggle. There is a difference between healthy discipline and aggressive expectations for oneself. Go with the flow. If you are meant to be 100 percent RAW then let it come to you, naturally. Listen to what your body is telling you, use your gift of intuition.

If you do not want to follow the doctor’s belief and diagnosis of ADD then I would recommend to first change your mentality around this label, as in not using it as an identity. You may already do this. Example: Instead of saying “I have …” you can tell yourself “I am just another human being dealing with someone many others deal with. We are all different people” Mentality changes can make a huge difference on how we see and interact with ourselves.

I honestly believe that raw can work wonders for many issues involving neurological “disfunction/disorder/disease” Food and herbs can help with brain chemicals – just how Western medicine can but I feel those must mask the problem not solve it. Think of raw are your long term source of brain power. Fuel! a healthy way to treat any illness or dysfunction that may come your way.

As for organic vs non – my whole theory is “What goes into the soil, goes into your food and that goes into you” – Eating organic is more expensive but it’s well worth it to not pay for chemicals used to grow your food. With that being said, I must prioritize my money more so on healthy food choices rather than random loot I could be buying each month. Farmer’s markets are cheaper and fresher than grocery stores like Whole Foods and such. Do you shop the farmer’s market? It is a wonderful and healing experience, for me atleast.

I agree with the b vitmain recommendation above. I need to research Maca more but I have heard this is great stuff too. Sea algaes are also wonderful and seaweed too… Quality omega fats – 3.6.9 too. There are many herbs used to help with these sorts of issues, not sure what you have tried?

I also agree about being gentle with yourself. Expecatations can bring negative energy. Allow yourself the beauty of this experience as a journey rather than a challenge.

I hope this was helpful!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I agree with going easy on yourself and letting intuition guide you. I love Costco! But for me, eating raw is a higher priority than eating organic, and I can’t afford to do both & I don’t have organic farmers near me, and even the non-organic farmers don’t grow anything in the Utah winters. :)

My son wasn’t diagnosed with ADD, but I was noticing lots of troubling symptoms of it. He doesn’t eat all raw (not even close most days), but I have seen tremendous progress as I got him off white sugar, corn syrup, white flour & chemicals. Red food color seems to be the biggest culprit, and fruit seems to be the best “antidote” – I can’t say for sure if his symptoms were “ADD” – I didn’t want to get that diagnosis & have people telling me to give him drugs.

What works for me with raw is to eat fruit & greens (I juice greens with cucumber & sometimes ginger & lime, or make kale salad, or just huge Spring Mix salads with seed cheese &/or veggies & a raw dressing). Then I fill in calories & nutrition with raw desserts, nut/seed cheeses, flax crackers, etc. It is still a process; you’ll find what works for you (and what doesn’t). Like if eating a pound of greens a day is the right amount for you, etc.

Welcome to goneraw :)

• hi stene, have you tried green smoothies to get in your “pound of salad”? once you pop some spinach and water in a blender with a banana and some strawberries (or any combination of fruit and greens – this site has great smoothie recipes), it suddenly becomes much more manageable. don’t give up! you will likely see improvements without even having to be 100%! good luck. s

• WOW, thank you all so much. I don’t know why I waited so long to sign up here. I really do feel welcome. (BIG HUG to you all) Yeah, maybe I won’t worry so much about only getting 10% fat right now, getting it down better, then slowly moving towards that. And I’ll definitely pick up some B12. At the beginning, i was doing green smoothies everyday, but feel I ran out of creativeness, and were all ending up about the same. I should look for recipes to get back on them again. I’m sure all of you wonderful people have great ideas. Therawdance,(BTW, i have A LOT of respect for you) if diet shouldn’t’ be a struggle, why are cooked foods so addictive? and i have definitely been trying to change my mental thoughts. I’ve been trying always look at the bright side of things, where as before, I always saw all the negative. Somedays, it’s hard. I also feel the same way about medication. I feel it’s just putting a band-aid on, and not fixing the problem, which is why i want to try and get the raw diet down. I think pharmaceutical companys are just down right evil, don’t care about us and all they want is money. anyway, thank you all so much, I’m feeling better already, maybe by the end of this year (hopefully a lot sooner) I’ll get to the point I feel i need to be. Again, BIG HUG to all of you!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hi there, I have heard so many people tell me that they were cured of the “ADD” because of raw food, and also other “alternative” therapies. You’re great to disregard this label that has been put on you. Just let it go, that isn’t who you are.

The main thing with raw that I have found, is that it has to be enjoyable and it really can be. I have doubts about the 811 because it tries to get you to a place with your raw eating right away, that would happen naturally in time anyway,and I think that if you try to go too simple and fat free too fast, it is just so hard to keep it up.

Transition foods are needed to bridge the gap between raw and cooked. To keep us solid and stable on our raw path through transition time. During transition, you realise how addicted you are to food, freeing yourself from that is a task that I think requires something very deliciously distracting to pull you away from the cooked food ;) Recipes like raw pies, puddings, lasagna, ravioli, pizza, bread, cheese, all these things you can eat and enjoy making and eating, and still progress.

The longer you stick at it, the easier it gets, the cravings will more or less go after 2-3 months. Then your diet will get more and more simple as you feel better and better.

I have only recently started eating organic food, I am 3 1/2 years raw, always ate whatever I can afford to, now I can afford organic…it tastes better but I feel the same, being raw is the main thing. I do think that because I am raw my body is well equipped to detox any pestcides out of me. Of course I prefer organic for environmental reasons and it would be better if my body didn’t have to work hard to detox the pesticides, but sometimes you just have to be grateful for whatever raw food you can get your hands on, organic or not. If you think it is worse because it is not organic then that is not good for you. Whatever you eat, always enjoy it and believe that it is nutritious and good for you.

I haven’t read all the posts but I am sure everyone is saying for you to eat your greens! They are so balancing and can really help with your focus. Also yoga is a good exercise to help balance you.