sprouting corn experience

beate64beate64 Raw Newbie

Hi there all, I bought some corn to sprout, was curious about those… It stated on the package that the sprouts are very sweet and that the kernels will be very chewy and are not recommended to eat because of that. Ok, said and done. There were actually two little tails appearing, the juice and very sweet indeed sprout, and a little stringy tail I discarded with the kernels. By the way, pretty tiresome to break those sprouts all off…

Now what to do with those juicy little guys? I’ve had a good handful and put them in my blender together with fresh blueberries, one banana, maca, mesquite, and carob powder, bee pollen, agave juice, half an avocado, and almond milk! Yeah, I went wild, thought we need something filling before heading out to the field.

Well, I just about finished my glass. Shortly after that, like 10 minutes or so I felt horrible… yucky in my stomach and got bloated… had everything of those listed ingredients before except for those sprouts, so I guess thats what it triggered… Any idea?? I thought maybe because corn has a lot of starches naturally and the sprouts were so sweet… that might have caused it?

Has had anyone experience with corn sprouts? It really were not many… but I can still feel the awful feeling in my stomach, yikes… Thanks for any input :)

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I shouldn’t be responding as I’m not a sprout expert!!! I have never heard of anyone sprouting corn for eating… I’m wondering about the GMO factor… So scary to think what could go wrong with them!!! Were the seeds heirloom??? If not, maybe that’s what made you so ill…

I picked corn this yr and have really been afraid to eat it because of the GMO question… I know the farmer didn’t use fertilizer or pesticides and that’s why I picked it… But later started to wonder about the origin or the seed…

Sorry I can’t be of more help, sure hope you feel better soon!!! Maybe someone here knows about sprouting corn…

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I have never heard of sprouting corn, only planting corn seed (in trays filled with planting medium) for baby corn greens. I don’t grow these because I would have to buy heirloom corn seed, and they are to expensive for just baby corn greens.

Because corn is stored for lengths of time it is very high in fungus. Personally, I would do a fungus detox to be on the safe side.

• beate64beate64 Raw Newbie

Hi Beany and Waterbaby, thanks for the input. No, the seeds were safe, got them at ‘mumm’s sprouting seeds’ (Canada), http://www.sprouting.com they are heirloom and organic. So I guess even if thats not raw my husband will use them as popping corn. It’s written on the package about the corn sprouts and how sweet they are. I might just write them to see what they come up with… Fungus, yes, thought about that… and it could well be that it can form while sprouting? I dont know… those are all certified organic seeds. I will inquire about that…