Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Cous Cous

Sorry, I am new to raw food therefore my question: Is cous cous considered raw if soaked in water?

Comments

• dodododo Raw Newbie

id like to know this one too please :)

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Is cous cous the one that starts with rice or is it a little pasta type??? Anyway doesn’t that make it full of pesticides (rice) or a dead food (pasta)??? Both of which wouldn’t be considered raw… Just my humble opinion… smile

Have you thought about using cauliflower??? There are recipes, here on our site that look tasty!!!

• To Waterbaby: From what I read on the Internet: Couscous granules are made from semolina (coarsely ground durum wheat) or, in some regions, from coarsely ground barley or pearl mille. So, if we add cold water, it is raw?! Puzzled. Also, there is organic cous cous available.

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

I don’t believe cous cous is raw. I love using butternut squash as a replacement! Just throw cubes into your food processor and process until in tiny, “cous cous” pieces. Then add spices, herbs, and sauces as you please to flavor accordingly.

• shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

I don’t think it’s raw. It’s not sproutable, made from ground wheat and would be considered a “dead food” wether it’s organic or not.

Again, aren’t those grain allowed to die in the field before harvesting and then crushed or ground corsely into a dead grain??? I guess, if you soak it and it sprouts then it would be alive and therefore raw… If is doesn’t sprout, then not raw… But I’m NO expert!!!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

not raw.

“Kernels of whole wheat are steamed, dried and then crushed to make bulghur”

hope that helps. sorry. i have a GREAT recipe for pseudo-cous cous though if you click on my profile.

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

couscous is simply a pasta—it is NOT a grain at all.

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

i think you’re wrong, lulushka—it’s not a “pasta” like spaghetti, but it’s definitely not a grain… Just like whole wheat spaghetti is still a pasta, but made from whole grains.

Here’s the wiki on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couscous

I could be wrong, but I believe all forms of cous cous are pasta.

nycgrrl~ Pasta is a flour mixed with egg and water, some are mixed without the egg…

Here is a copy of your link…Couscous From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Couscous or kuskus (pronounced /ˈkuːskuːs/ in the US, /ˈkʊskʊs/ in the UK; Berber Seksu – Arabic: كسكس‎, called maftoul in Jordan, Lebanon and the Palestinian territories) is a pasta from the Maghreb of Berber origin. It consists of spherical granules made by rolling and shaping moistened semolina wheat and then coating them with finely ground wheat flour. The finished grains are about 1 mm in diameter before cooking. The Israeli variant is about twice the diameter and made of hard wheat instead of semolina. [2] Traditional couscous requires considerable preparation time and is usually steamed. In many places, a more processed quick-cook couscous is available and is particularly valued for its short preparation time

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Meaning couse-couse is not raw, but soaked millet is a good replacement. Tho a bit more crunchy. Soaked quinoa is also a good replacement. Tho different flavor.

• dodododo Raw Newbie

well i like millet and quinoa (kee-noir), so i can live without the couscous :)

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

No it’s not, the closest you can get to it is to process cauliflower and cream it up with avocado and pine nut dressing.

• if it was still alive and you soaked it in water it would probs drown so not cool either way guys