Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

sore throat and sinus...help!

Are there any sugar free natural ways to sooth a sore throat and painful sinus? I have a cold and have been drinking green smoothies and tea but I really need something to sooth my painfully sore throat and sinus. Something like cough drops only without sugar. I made the mistake of having a couple cough drops last night and the sugar gave me a bad headache but they made my throat feel better.

Any Ideas?

Comments

• Ginger Root is a natural antihistamine. Throw some in your green smoothie to help your cold.

For sore throats we do the following…

8 oz. glass of water

dash of cayenne (no more than 1/8 teaspoon)

Gargle until glass is empty. Do not swallow. You should feel a difference in your throat in minutes. But if not, you can repeat in 15 minutes. It will eventually eliminate your sore throat.

For colds or sinuses you can also do the following…

8 oz. glass of water

2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar

dash of cayenne

Mix and drink. When under the weather, we do the vinegar/cayenne drink morning-lunch-dinner. It is awful, but works. (But not as bad as the cayenne gargle.)

I was told vinegar is nature’s natural antibiotic and cayenne removes toxins naturally from your body.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

A nettipot could be helpful… What about a gargle of salt (not tablesalt) with teatree oil or GSE??? I am only wondering here, as I have never tried these types of gargle… But I do use a nettipot with himala salt…

Hope someone better equiped can give you helpful information…

Sending you warm and healthy vibes for a speedy recovery!!!

Edit~ See I knew someone would know… LOL

Simplyraw~ We seem to have the same timing… LOL Great information, hopfully I will remember when I need a real throat quincher of sorts… Oh my, sounds dreadful… LOL

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Ewwww!!!!

But I’ll try it. ha

• I totally swear by my netti pot. Yes, it sounds gross but I have had far speedier recoveries with it! You’ll clear out your sinus very well. 5000 years of indian experience can’t be wrong!

• blujett8blujett8 Raw Newbie

great suggestions….I usually use warm lemon ginger water with some raw honey and celtic salt gargle
    feel better : )

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

hey – scrolling through the recipes I found this one from humanimal
    http://goneraw.com/recipes/1356-Raw-Immunity-Soup.
    humanimal has lots of great recipes btw. The one linked above sounds like it would be quite helpful when you are dealing with a cold or a flu.
    Good Luck! :)

• What’s helped me before with a sore throat is I mix 1/4th cup of raw honey with 1/4th cup of raw apple cider vinegar. i take a couple of spoons every 4 hours or so.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Oh man, so glad you posted this. I am going to have to try some of this. I am coming down with something too. IT almost feels like its part of my detox though. I Feel almost like my body is just dumping everything out of my sinuses.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Similar to what Stene said, you can put raw apple cider vinegar in a small spray bottle and spray the back of your throat, especially at first sign of a sore throat…

We also use Liquid Silver drops. I hold 5 droppers under my tongue (adult dose) for 30 seconds then gargle with them for about 30 seconds before swallowing at bedtime.

My brother said to be aware of how much salt you put in your netti pot…what mixture does everybody use in theirs?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

I ended up doing hot water with lemon and raw honey. I really soothed me. All of my friends keep telling me to do the netti pot but I have a really bad reaction to anything going up my nose. Maybe someday I’ll give it a try. haha

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I’m going to use this suggestion! I’m sick too. I’ll do the hot water with lemon, then let it cool a bit and add raw honey so the honey stays raw : ). I should do the netti pot, good suggestion – maybe i’ll buy one soon.

till then, i think hot tea will be soothing. i’ve been eating tons of greens, hoping it will help.

simplyraw – great suggestions to clear the sinuses! if i get desperate, ill try gargling the pepper water.

• HYSSOP TEA is also a good remedy for this

oh really? Sounds good. I’ve always though hyssop was a cool plant. Now I can use it!

• Oh, the other one I forgot that I SWEAR by is fenugreek tea. I’m not sure what the feeling is about tea but it’s just fenugreek seeds soaked in hot water. It’s a blood purifier. At the first sign of a cold I start drinking this, sometimes with some honey and lemon. If I’m really worried about something bad coming on I’ll also chomp on 2 or 3 cloves of raw garlic before I have the tea. WARNING – you will sweat this out from the tea and smell VERY interesting to say the least. My mom always said though that it will keep away other germy carriers. LOL

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

ANother question

“For colds or sinuses you can also do the following…

8 oz. glass of water

2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar

dash of cayenne”

Do you gargle that too or drink it? That would be very foul to drink.

amen, I didn’t get up the nerve to try it

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

blech i’d rather deal with the runny nose than drink it! Gargling – I could probably do. Gargling warm salt water has helped, THAT i’ve done. Don’t swallow it though! Way too salty.

• I had strep a few weeks ago (at least, I’m pretty sure it was strep – big white pustules and bloody spots on my tonsils – pretty nasty), and it went away in 2 days. I gargled w/ apple cider vinegar once a day and I drank a shot of apple cider vinegar with a pinch of cayenne in it once a day. Tasted gross, of course, but I was healthy really fast.

Like Caleb and Stene recommend, you can mix it with water or honey, but I find that a shot is MUCH easier to get down than spoonfuls or in a whole glass of water.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I got rid of a HORRIBLE sinus infection in two hours once – accidentally! I was making a stuffing for cabbage leaves, and I put in a habanero pepper because I was curious to try one. I ended up just eating half of the mixture by spoonfuls rather than stuffing the leaves because I was feeling too awful to want to bother. The whole time I was thinking that the pepper wasn’t very hot, for all the hype I had heard about them. Within a couple of hours, my sinuses were TOTALLY CLEAR! When I ate the leftovers the next day, it tasted hotter – my clogged sinuses had dulled the taste of the pepper. ;)

• Caleb

You gargle the cayenne/water.

You drink the AVC/cayenne/water.

The cayenne/water relieves sore throats. The AVC/cayenne/water you drink. You can drink it even when you just feel a cold or have a small sniffle and it will eliminate it, before it takes full force. If you have already had a cold form, the ACV/cayenne/water will bring out the worst of it, before you get better. But it will nip the cold in the bottom faster than most things.

A year ago, someone in my husband’s office gave everybody the flu. Everyone was pretty much really, really miserable and sick for a week or more. My husband caught it and was out of work for one day. I gave him the ACV/caynne/water the day he was out. The next day he woke up feeling great and was able go back to work…no problems. On the following days my husband kept me informed of how others at work were still doing awful. (Note – we were eating raw, so that probably helped the healing process too.)

Note – we got to a point where we would drink the ACV/cayenne/water when we felt like we were coming down with something. But my husband has not been sick since that last time. And my dd and I didn’t catch it. Which was really interesting, because we usually do catch what he brings home. My dd and I have not been sick for almost a year and a half now. But we do drink at least one good green smoothie a day. And I am a big believer of the organic ginger. I always have a green smoothie with ginger before doing yard work and have no problems.

I grew up on sinus/allergy medicine. Got to a point I could not mow grass or be out during pollen season. Since April 2, 2007 none of us have needed to pop any sinus/allergy medicine. We only do the ginger in smoothies every once in awhile or when needed. I don’t want our bodies to become immune to the ginger’s magical properties.:)

My being raw did really help and I’ve been drinking soooo many green smoothies and I can actually feel the difference.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

So interesting to know about the water/cayenne/ACV – thanks, simplyraw!