Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Wine?

shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

As the days pass, I am having less and less of a desire to drink alcohol.

Within the last few weeks, I have gotten sickly drunk off of the smallest amounts, probably because of the increase of raw foods in my diet. And it grosses me out to think that the drunk feeling is just your body severely dehydrated that you can’t think, talk or walk straight!

I am wondering if Raw Organic Wine has the same percentage of alcohol, how many of you drink it, and where you get it from?

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

hey valeria—

i had a HUGE battle trying to give up wine. i tried for months. forcing myself to go without i’d go strong for about a week before coming back to it. it was mainly a feeling, a ritual, a “coming of night and relaxing.” ultimately, i’d just end up coming back to it. i eventually just gave up TRYING and it was very weird… one day i was OK saying no. and now it seems like a very foreign concept that i would want to ingest toxins.

it also became BLATANTLY clear as i became more and more raw that i physically couldn’t cope drinking it. there just isn’t any crap inside you to absorb it.

organic simply means it is more likely to be vegan (which many wines AREN’T) and that there DEFINITELY aren’t any pesticides used… but most wine grape growers stay away from sprays anyway. the only wine that isn’t “raw” is flash-pasteurized to be suitable for those following a strict kosher diet.

i simply can’t say enough for a drug-free existence. BUT, unless you have serious health problems, i really don’t believe in problematizing things. rather, trusting that you are headed in the direction that you want and that one day you won’t want or need it. i PROMISE you can achieve ANYTHING you want if you trust it.

• pianissima so you were able to kick the wine habit….. lol u must have passed it on to me … I have been indulging lately

• The problem as far as I have one is that I can give up the wine but it can’t give up me.

• No Bones, I like but not vodka as I have said to you. I did like my dads sloe gin but he can’t make it anymore where he is and I choose not to visit for now to ask him the recipe. My girlfriend only drinks rough cider in pints. This part of the world is famous for it because we invented it. I think that maybe what keeps her cheeks so rosy and possibly why one of her front teeth fell out she says she lost it in a surfing accident but I think she may have had one too many one day.Oh well.

ardesmond2—then it must be true that nothing is ever destroyed or created. ;)

• shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

Thanks for responding! I’d never thought I would come to point in my life where I would have second thoughts about wine, and especially beer.

You’re right Pianissima, I don’t have enough crap in my body to absorb it and handle it without getting drunk and sick quickly. I play in a band, and it used to be loads of fun drinking, smoking and being silly with everyone. Only now smoking grosses the hell out of me, and drinking doesn’t have the same appeal either.

One problem I have is playing a show while sober. I feel I need to have a drink (and a joint) to go up and perform in front of people. That is really the only time I consume alcohol and drugs (for the most part).

I guess I’m already the weird one bringing avocados to band practice, so not drinking wouldn’t be a surprise right?

And another thing, it seems everytime I drink or smoke I eat poorly. Pizza at the end of the night to absorb the alcohol, sweets after smoking a joint…

I do need a swift kick in the ass.

• Vaeria, you are a musician too. I am in a band and love to play music. I’d love to have a listen. What are you into and what do you play? Music is such a wonderful and powerful thing. It was St Augustine that said “He who sings prays twice” Even if you are not a spiritual person that is still agreat way to look at music.

• Must be all of us musicians who love wine so much – I’m not surprised, really. We should start a subgroup for musical-raw-foodies

I play the organ and glockenspiel at the moment. I plan to learn the guitar soon aswell. I’m in a band called Elk Face, but we don’t really have any decent recordings thus far. I’m not really sure how to describe our music, and I hate using these words, but I guess we’d be “indie rock”.

My taste varies in music, from the Knife, to the Elected…

Music is a wonderful thing!

valeria—i think it used to use alcohol a bit for performing angst (i’m a musician too!). BUT, i was a little peeved with myself when i would finish an awesome yoga class and think “THIS type of relaxing is SO much more satisfying.” when all the energy in your body is unblocked and moving freely it’s a REAL kind of blissful. alcohol seemed like a cheap substitute after that (again, it took me a while to put this into practice…).

if it’s not too corny, can i recommend some breathing exercises and stretches you can do? in general, forward bending is very calming for ex.

Thanks guys!

I’ll have to take it slow. I’ll definetly have to try the breathing and stretching. I’ve got an Ashtanga yoga video I’ve had for awhile. Time to whip it out and actually do it.

I don’t have a show for another month, so next week when we get together I’ll also practice NOT drinking.

• You should learn bass! A band immediately gets anywhere from 35-64 cool points just for having a girl bass player. Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth, SuperChunk, etc. I’ve been in loads of bands over the years with women, but never a girl bass player. Drummers, singers, and guitar players, no bassists though.

The whole alcohol thing can be tricky, I suppose. I make my own beer and never turn down a glass of wine, but I typically don’t drink until after I’ve played the show. Maybe start to cut back that way at first?

• If you want to have a drink now and then...It is really easy to make your own raw vegan wine. I made some raw hard cider, apples were on sale-50 cents a pound!! I juiced them (that took forever!)with some berries to add a berry flavor and added some champagne yeast, put it in a glass gallon bottle and put an air lock on the top.Let it sit for about a week and then siphon off the yeast particles, let it age for about a month. Makes a good tasting cider, you can let it age for a bit longer, this mellows it out a bit. It makes a cider/wine that is about 5 to 6 percent alcohol, depending on the sweetness of the fruit. You can get information and equipment at a brew supply store, usually runs about a dollar or so for a package of yeast, and the same for an airlock and a cork. The siphon is about 5 dollars, and a glass jug is pretty easy to come by.

• I love wine. I may be in the minority but I think it fits very well with a raw lifestyle. You can taste it and dig it so much more clearly.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I've gotten back into drinking wine too.. last spring I did th master cleanse and a juice feast and didn't drink wine for months.. but something about the colder days makes me crave a nice hardy red. I'm ok with it.. I don't drink much .. a few sips really a night or two a week. The key for me is portion, if I drink a full glass or two I feel it .. but a half a glass is nice. the good taste and fun without the bad feelings!

• bananaboybananaboy Raw Superstar

Alcohol is a poison. It does NOT "fit well with a raw lifestyle"!

You must have had a glass or two before writing that post.