What exactly is Braggs Aminos?

Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

I kept seeing it mentioned here and thought it was some kind of amino acid supplement, but I actually saw it in the natural foods section of the supermarket yesterday and saw it looked like soy sauce. So is it just like a salty soy like seasoning then? Does it have any specific health benefits as opposed to Nama Shoyu? (which I haven’t seen yet but from what I understand it is like a soy sauce type thing?)

Comments

• I think it is an amino acid supplement essentially..

though I know it is on the dead food list..

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

it tastes like soy sauce.. i don’t trust it though.. it has free glutamic acid which acts like msg.. if you are sensitive like me you will get a wicked migraine!

• Here is some information on nama shoyu, bragg’s liquid aminos, and tamari sauce. Any of them could be used. None of them are really considered raw. And I believe those with certain health issues use Tamari sauce. They cannot use nama shoyu or bragg’s liquid aminos. But all three do contain soy, which takes us back to the soybean issues.

The following was in the Pure Magazine Winter 2008.

Bragg’s Liquid Aminos

- not technically raw, Bragg’s is a liquid protein concentrate. It contains naturally occurring MSG in the form of glutamic acid. made from non-GMO soy, and water.

Organic Nama Shoyu

- fermented, not a raw food, but is a living food. Also contains naturally occurring MSG. Made from soybeans, spring water, whole wheat, sea salt.

Organic Tamari

- not a raw food, also contains naturally occurring MSG in the form of glutamic acid. Made from whole soybeans, sea salt, water, and koji (Aspergillus hacho)

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

Thank you all for the info! What do you all use/recommend? I really need to get more protein in my diet so liquid protein concentrate sounds appealing, but not at the price of it being bad for me. I don’t have any sensitivities to MSG that I’m aware of. Apart from not being raw, what exactly are the “soybean issues”?

Thank you all!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

It is rare to not have enough protein, whatever diet you have. All fruit, nuts and vegetables have protein in them.

They say that even if a person only ate potatoes they would get enough protein. There is a great book called The China Study, that goes into details with tons of research about the Protein Myth. It is really interesting to read.

Look, there is a thread on it right now here: http://goneraw.com/forums/8/topics/8011

• Zoe – thanks for mentioning that book. Someone else brought it to my attention several months ago. I really want to read it sometime soon…sounds so intriguing.

Branwyn32 – The “soybean issues” are in reference to the GMO soybeans. (GMO – genetically modified organisms) We have had several threads on here about GMOs. Another good site about GMOs is www.organicconsumers.org

Soy milk and soy products will increase hayfevers and allergies. They also deplete your body of Vitamin D. On another thread one of the gone raw members, Social, stated that soy milk is a cancer and mucous forming food.

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I just finished reading The China Study. It’s very empowering to learn that not only is a vegan diet the answer to staying healthy, moving to a vegan existence can prevent and eliminate diseases for many people (possibly most!). The China Study is a must-read for everyone interested in being strong and healthy. Find it much more cheaply on Amazon.com than in bookstores.

When I was 20 I discovered I had Graves’ Disease (a form of hyperthyroidism). I was mostly vegetarian, but very overweight. I ate lots of dairy (not to mention highly processed junk food), despite having been lactose intolerant as a baby and child. It’s very possible that my poor diet and lack of exercise triggered my immune system to attack itself, in the form of Graves’ Disease. Drugs were only moderately effective. I started eating properly, exercising, lost the weight and (BIG SHOCK!) the Graves’ Disease symptoms disappeared. I’m in remission now, and have been for nearly 10 years, though one of the hormone levels remains a bit out of whack. The disease is still potentially there, but becoming vegan has made and keeps me healthy. I restored my own health … without drugs. My doctor totally agrees with me.

I realize this reply has nothing to do with Bragg’s Aminos. I’m just endorsing The China Study. My suggestion to those who use Bragg’s, Nama Shoyu or even miso is to go easy. They’re fermented and quite high in sodium. I have seen many (mostly) raw recipes that call for them, but when I’ve used the amounts called for, found the dishes too salty to enjoy, particularly when the dishes are to be dehydrated. I use about 1/4 – 1/3 of what is called for in recipes, with good results.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

yes I find that nama shoyu or tamari makes recipes taste too salty. Without it you can make more delicately and freshly flavoured raw food.