Protein

CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

So, what are the best sources of protein on a raw diet? I have been putting protein power in my smoothies in the morning THINKING it was a full DAILY serving, but it’s nowhere close. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

There is more protein in the raw vegies than you realize, However, seeds and nuts probably have the most protein as well as fats which can be added or used in most recipes

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Raw Power is a good book of a body builder on a raw diet. Greens in your smoothies, quinoa is a whole protein, great sprouted in your salads. Actually sprouts in general are an excellent source. Dr. Douglas Graham, author of the 80-10-10 diet is in excellent shape and eats 10% fat, 10% protein and 80% carbs…maybe that book would also be helpful? He also has a book out for athletes, Nutrition and Athletic Performance, by Doug Graham. Probably information on his site, but don’t have that at hand.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Paxton~ YOU have disappeared, are you alright???

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

Yes, there is protein in fruits and vegetables, but for people wanting extra protein, I’d recommend hemp protein powder (it’s a complete protein and rocks the house) as well as lots of leafy greens which can both be taken in the form of green smoothies. Manitoba Harvest is my favorite brand.

Cheers, Kristen

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Kristen, I currently use a Hemp Protein powder in my morning smoothie, but it’s only 15g per serving. I will have to do a count soon to see how my fruits are adding. But seeing as how they only have about .5 grams or less I don’t think they contribute much. I may have to look into other powders though to see if they have more in them.

rawmamma, I keep hearing about the 80-10-10 book. I am definitely going to have to check it out, I have just been putting it off. I have heard there are sceptics to it too, so I will be gathering as much info as possibl.e

Paxton, can’t see the video from work, but I can already tell you I likely won’t buy it ;)

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Hi Caleb
    I entered this info in another forum (Topic: New to Raw / Adding muscle…) started by babydollsea
    Hopefully you will find it helpful. Cheers!

http://goneraw.com/forums/8/topics/7877

”...I decided to copy & paste the summary… but for descriptions/explaination/further info on each one please see the link I posted above. :)
    Top 10 Raw Protein Foods! by Alex Malinsky

Below is a list of some of the most highest concentrated raw foods in assimiable proteins!

1. Hemp Seeds
    2. Goji Berries
    3. Sprouts
    4. Spirulian/Blue Green Algae
    5. Pure Synergy
    6. Maca
    7. Avocado
    8. Figs
    9. Greens and veggies
    10. Sprouted Nuts and Seeds”

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Hmm, maybe I am not doing so bad after all

1. Hemp protein in my smoothie 2. Goji Berries in my cereal 7. I have avacados on occasion, will likely increase now 9. Daily salad and recently started making spinach smoothies 10. Sprouted sunflower seeds in my salads

I’m going to check out that other post now too!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

caleb—i’d be seriously surprised if you weren’t getting enough protein.

in “diet for a new america” john robbins writes out a “hypothetical all-plant food diet” to show how easy it is to get enough protein as long as you aren’t eating junk food.

(this isn’t raw, but it easily could be)

breakfast: 1 cup oj, 1 cup cooked oatmeal, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, 1 TB brown sugar, 2 TB raisins

lunch: 2 TB nut butter, 2 slices whole wheat bread, 1 T honey, 1 apple, 2 small carrots

dinner: 1 cup cooked beans, 1 cup cooked brown rice, 1/2 cup broccoli, 4 mushrooms, 2 TB oil, 1 cup apple juice, 1/2 banana.

now, this person isn’t eating even slightly as healthy as most of us do here, and yet:

total calories: 1,993… with total protein being 57.7 grams

national academy of sciences recommended allowance for a 128-pound woman: 2,000…. 44.0 grams

(granted you aren’t a woman, but with more calories comes more protein)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

the point is that you would really have to work overtime to be a protein-deprived raw vegan.

substitute greens for grains and legumes and you’ll be getting WAY more than this.