Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Potlucks

heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

So, yesterday I attended my very first raw potluck, and it was awesome! I’m usually super shy, and not really that great at meeting new people, but I really enjoyed myself. I got to hear everyone’s stories and experiences with being raw, and of course, there was a lot of yummy food!

So, for anyone thinking about going to a potluck, I’d definitely recommend it! Raw foodists really aren’t that scary, and raw support is great! ;)

Comments

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

a potluck is a get together where everyone brings a dish of food to share. They’re really fun because you can try everyone else’s dishes and get great ideas!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

heyenglish – a raw potluck sounds lovely!! When i bring raw food to a regular potluck, folks never eat it (often I take lovely fruit, watermelon is a big hit – something people recognize). One time i made a fruit salad in a watermelon – i used the watermelon as a bowl, cut it nicely. Wasted money and effort – i was the only one in a party of 40 who touched it! On the other hand, when chilling with my outdoorsy type friends, there’s lots of raw food at potlucks and they try my stuff too. I think it depends on the group you hang with..

Anyway glad you enjoyed the potluck!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I LOVE raw potlucks – finally I can eat all I want of EVERYTHING there, and I feel AMAZING! And the support is awesome, too.

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

We actually talked about bringing raw food to non-raw potlucks, and how it seems best just not to say anything and tell anyone that it’s raw. They’re much more likely to try it! I always found that to be true when I brought a vegan dish to a non-vegan gathering.

• I had some raw salmon today…..but I don’t think that was the right thing to do because I really don’t feel the best right now. I have a headache and very nauseous. I probably should be in another thread but I couldn’t get in one.

I totally brought Zoe’s Spring Onion Seed Cheese to a non raw, non vegan get together and everyone freaked out because it was so awesome. I then told them it was raw and none of them believed me! So they all asked for the recipe and are making it themselves. haha

bring raw food but don’t say it’s raw – great idea! very sneaky! that could totally work for pies, i bet that my mango-pineapple pie looks good for potlucks.

troubles – what did you serve her cheese WITH? that’s the part i can’t ever figure out.

yeah, I was thinking of doing a raw pie for Thanksgiving and bringing it without telling anyone it was raw and see what the reaction is. Seriously, they’re sooo good!

tjab – That’s awesome! I’m interested to hear what you served the cheese with, too!

For a regular potluck, I once made a raw “7-layer dip” – and then put out a plate of cucumber slices (I didn’t tell people to eat the two things together) and a bag of regular corn chips. No one had a clue that the dip was raw, & they loved it – even my sister (who had heard me describing the dip to someone several months before and said it sounded “so gross”) heehee

• i think theyll notice if you dont cook the pie lol

the potlick sounds like a good idea like tapas were everyone shares and gets raw together

Guacamole and salsa are fabulous for non-raw things too! Everyone loves that stuff, and it looks so “normal” to them. The cucumber slice idea is great… that would perfect for serving the seed cheese too! Or a pesto… mmmmmm, I’m getting hungry now.

I’ve done pesto and it’s always a hit. With the cheese I served veggies to dip it in and also crackers. Both were eaten completely. Probably the crackers first. Almost everyone thought it was hummus. haha.

Pesto is the same. I serve it with veggies and crackers.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

I went to a trunk show this weekend at a local clothing store and they were serving raw chocolate. I was so excited! I tried every flavor and watched a bunch of people eating the chocolate – it was amazing! I doubt anyone could have told the difference, but it was fun to see the designer describing living foods to everyone. What a surprise and treat!

I’ve been dying to try raw chocolate. I missed out on it at the last raw fest I was at because I couldn’t find the stand. But next time I won’t stop looking!

Do they have similar consistencies as normal chocolates?

You can order chocolate online! Very reasonable priced, and VERY delicious (tastier than the nonraw chocolate!) It has the same consistency as unhealthy chocolate, yes. I order my chocolate here: http://www.oasis-pa.com/

I recommend the chocolate bars, chocolate tablet, and choco covered pretzels! very crunchy pretzels, amazing.

Kandace – How awesome for you – sounds fun! I LOVE raw chocolate!

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

The chocolates I tried were softer than, say, a candy bar. More like raw fudge. I also noticed she was keeping it in a cooler and then putting a bit out at at time. She said she used some raw nut butters in some of them. I told her about Gone Raw, so perhaps the recipes will pop up here one day…

kandace – it would be lovely if she posted the recipes here. I think the trick is to keep the chocolates in the fridge. That’s where I store mine, so they stay nice and hard. As they warm, the chocolate melts on my fingers quickly.

How cool that you’d find raw chocolates at a trunk show! Nifly!!

mmm yummy. I may have some problems since I have NO tolerance to any sugar(I can do honey and all fruits) and I”m not sure how I’ll react to cocoa. But I’ll give it a whirl to see!

Any non raw chocolate I’ve had since I went raw was a sheer disaster. I was down for over a day

tjab – I’m the same way with non-raw chocolate. I can’t afford to buy much premade raw stuff, so I usually make my own. I only use the sunfood brand of raw cacao – www.sunfood.com – as some others don’t treat me much better than the “regular” (not raw) chocolate.

I make raw chocolate bars by combining raw cacao powder with coconut oil & raw honey & spreading the mixture out on wax paper in the freezer – I mixed a bunch of raw dried coconut in once (before spreading & freezing) & took it to a raw potluck, and a guy there who was new to raw said, “This is raw?! It can’t be – it’s too good!” :)

haha sounds awesome! I adore coconut oil and honey so that should be good. I’ll look into raw cocoa to see what will work with me. I haven’t used any yet because I’m a little scared.

I have put normal cocoa in my nana milk once and it didn’t do anything bad. But it was just a dash.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

I will be attending my first raw potluck next weekend. I’m looking forward to it, trying to decide what I want to contribute. I will likely try out something new for the potluck too, probably a desert of some sort.

Dessert sounds like a fabulous idea! Most people brought salads or soups to the potluck yesterday. Besides, who doesn’t like dessert? :)