Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Sinus problems part of detox?

CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

It feels like I have been taxing the forums lately, but I have a question I am really curious about at the moment. Lately my sinuses have been acting up like crazy, stuff is flowing out of my nose at a crazy rate and I am sneezing left and right and my head is really stopped up.

I ran across an article about phBalance and having an alkaline body, one thing that was stated is:

“Nasal passages relax and release mucus plugs. Blood relaxes and releases clots.”

So does this mean my nasal passages are likely releasing all the crap that has been stuck up in there for so long? It started out feeling like things were just draining, then started to feel like a sore throat and cough and now it feels like an all out cold, but I don’t really feel tired.

The article is at: http://doctorajadams.com/AcidAlkaline.html

Lots of other interesting things there too.

Comments

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Caleb-I don’t know scientifically how this works but I do know that any time I consume alcohol, meat, or dairy I get a sinus headache, pressure and definitely tons of running nose

• We experienced some major sinus issues when we switched over to eating raw. It was pretty intense. It lasted about a week or so. I do know that it is a common detox symptom when switching over to raw. We just rode it out. It really sounds like you are going through some major detox symptoms. It would be easy for me to tell you to just ride it out. But only you truly know whats best for you. So do what feels right. I can just say it is a pretty common and major detox symptom.

• Be wary of any “doctor” trying to sell you something on their website other than their services. They list their credentials and they’re not an MD, they don’t have a degree in nutrition, and the only science they know was a general minor back in undergraduate studies.

Here’s what an M.D. thinks of that hypothesis: http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopi…

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

dang it, “alcohol, meat and dairy” the three things I indulged in this past weekend. :( Although there wasn’t much meat in there. I wonder if that sparked them off. I think I may try to make the rest of this week 100% raw just to see if things lessen.

• Dairy…alone would definitely do it.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

I am not sure it’s the dairy yet since I haven’t cut it completely out. I’m sometimes using raw cheese though. But maybe my body is rejecting it now. I may end up trying to go completely raw just to see what happens. I haven’t wanted to do that yet though I’m only 3-4 weeks into this

• It sounds like detoxing to me. When I first went raw, I had a problem with runny nose. It is one of the passageways for releasing toxins. I read that somewhere.

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

Rawry: things aren’t always cut and dry… here’s the thoughts of a published MD in a peer-reviewed medical journal.

ACID-BASE IN RENAL FAILURE Influence of Diet on Acid-Base Balance Thomas Remer Research Institute of Child Nutrition, Dortmund, Germany Address correspondence to: Thomas Remer, MD, Forschungsinstitut fuer Kinderernaehrung, Heinstueck 11, 44225 Dortmund, Germany. E-mail: remer@fke.uni-dortmund.de. ABSTRACT ABSTRACT It is well established that diet and certain food components have a clear impact on acid-base balance. For adults, the following factors are involved: 1) the chemical composition of foods (i.e., their content of protein, chloride, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium), 2) the different intestinal absorption rates of the relevant nutrients, 3) the metabolic generation of sulfate from sulfur-containing amino acids, 4) the grade of dissociation of phosphorus at the physiologic pH of 7.4, and 5) the ionic valence of calcium and magnesium. All these factors allow us to estimate the potential renal acid load (PRAL) of any given food or diet. The PRAL (calculated for a 24-hour period), together with a relatively constant daily amount of urinary excreted organic acids (in healthy subjects proportional to body surface area or body weight), yields the daily net acid excretion. This article provides an overview of the current concepts of diet influences on acid-base balance and also focuses on the underlying physiologic and biochemical basis as well as on relevant clinical implications.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Dude! That’s pretty much what happened to me a few months ago, for about three weeks straight, especially when I switched to low-fat raw. I had a constant dripping nose. I know for me it was detox.

• jeshuabrownjeshuabrown Raw Newbie

I’ve read, can’t remember where that our bodies produce mucus to rid of a foreign object-i.e. non food items. I know i get the same runny nose if I have baked stuff or coffee!

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Dairy products already cause your body to create extra mucus. I’ve never reacted well to dairy but it got especially bad whenever I had after I went raw. Then multiply that by ten when dairy and sugar are combined(ice cream, etc). haha.

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I second the dairy. I used to have Chronic Sinus infections and it was almost as if my body craved dairy even more while this was going on! Since going raw, i’ve only had 1 sinus infection and that was because i was sitting in a house that was full of ciggarette smoke and i’m highly allergic to it (i’m a realtor and i had to be there…). When i do get sinus infections, i head to the masseuse. Sinus Massages work wonders. I won’t lie and say they feel great, because they hurt a lot, but they help so much!!! I seriously recomend it! I hope your sinus’ clear up soon!

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

speaking of craving dairy… Dairy (which naturally only comes to us from our mothers when we are infants) contains elements that release opiates in the brain… this is an evolutionary trait that creates a physical addiction to milk in the infant so that, even if not actually hungry, it will still chemically crave nourishment, so it doesnt starve to death. This is also why babies appear drunk after a good breast-feeding session. As adults the same thing happens… so it is not too far from the truth that we can be actually chemically addicted to dairy and go through withdrawl symptoms…