Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Definitely Not a Palin fan

Comments

• PBS has a poll that asks: Is Sarah Palin qualified to be VP? Let’s turn this around….. You don’t have to give your name or email address in order to vote. It’s very simple.

Here’s the link: http://www.pbs.org/now/polls/poll-435.html

• Here’s another link for a petition, so you can let McCain know that you want the debates to continue:

http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5583/t/3369…

• Hey Mamamilk – you have such a beautiful family – i love that picture. No, my mom would never ditch me – but I’m sure she had her days… When I was a young teenager and acting like a witch to her (as daughters do), my mom used to channel her feelings through the cat. She would cock her head like she heard something and go “What did you say Oreo? Judy’s a bitch! Oreo that’s not nice!” Mom’s a funny lady. The kale is organic. I live in San Francisco – a very expensive town. The kale is 2.50 at my market and 1.75 (for quite small bunches) if I make it to Saturday’s farmers market. Food costs a fortune here, but we have produce that I think is just unrivaled. I would have a hard time living elsewhere because of the food I’ve become accustomed to.

Rawleen – there is another thread with the PBS poll as well. I think it’s titled Cast Your Vote on Palin, or something along those lines. Also – adorable picture of you and your little one.

• I’ve just joined, and found this thread fascinating – many very articulate & thoughtful posts – & curiously, many of us seem to be making kale chips as we speak! Mine have been in the dehydrator for about six hours, and are tasty, but still very moist & chewy. I think next time I’ll toss with a little sea salt & lemon juice, & skip the oil. I’m looking for the texture of the roasted kale a friend used to make – very light & crisp, then melt in your mouth. It was delicious. She used oil, too – but then, she also used a broiler. Yikes.

I, too have been a Green party supporter & campaigner for many years, but its all moved SO far to the right, with little or no movement of the national discourse from those of us trying to push from the progressive side.

While I don’t want to give up on pressuring that conversation, I’ll definitely be voting for Obama. The earlier quote about Palin was so apt – “the joyful marriage of confidence & ignorance” describes her perfectly, frighteningly. And while I thought no presidential campaign could be worse than the last two, this one is – much worse – the Republicans have been pushing the “truth” envelope for some years, and have learned they can lie with impunity Iit’s hardly even “spin” anymore- it’s just outright, shameless lying. And the media – long under accusations of being ” liberal”, mostly present the outright lies as perspective or opinion. And then you have Fox Propaganda Central pretending to be news, and apparently, a large segment of the US population is unable to distinguish propaganda from “news” – its all very disheartening. And the tactics of this campaign sure look like Karl Rove’s style, despite his denial. He’s the living master of Lee Atwater’s ugly legacy, and it’s all over this campaign.

I hope everyone enjoys their kale.And welcome to Orwellian world. We’re living in it. I too will vote with my brain, not my gender, but I’m not at all sure we’re still living in a democracy in the USA. I’m very anxious & sad about all of this.

And kale is $2.50 or + here in central Virgina. I miss having dirt, when I could grow mountains of it for $2.50!. Whatever happens with debates & elections, we still have to eat, and the better we can take care of our health & energy, the stronger we are to help where we can with the world. Make sense?

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I am not surprised to read that people are leaving children of all ages under this law. No doubt a significant number of parents would choose to place their children elsewhere if given the option. The dynamics in these families are difficult and it isn’t as simple as the parents just wanting to dump them. Despite personal abuse of or violence toward children, most parents still love their children and either can’t handle their stress or don’t know any other way to behave.

Placement with the state or foster care is its own unique horror story. I was taken away from my parents at 13 and placed in a shelter home for children. It was the only home for a very large area and run by religious zealots. In our presence, they would say the most awful things about us and our parents. I remember being on the porch swing one day with this little girl who was about 5 when these blue-haired church ladies with flowery hats came calling. They looked over and referred to us as “dirty little urchins.” There was nothing inappropriate about my appearance (except that I wasn’t wearing a dress, which some people would take issue with) so I went and looked the urchin thing up in the dictionary straight away. I was so pissed and as they left I fantasized about pushing their old asses off the porch and then rubbing dirt in their faces. The foster care experience was a type of abuse I had never experienced before.

I was finally placed in a home with a woman who was looking for a teenage girl. Turns out she ran a daycare center in her home and was looking for a live-in worker that she got paid to keep. My caseworker told me how lucky I was to be one of the few to leave the center. After a few months, I decided to boycott my job and stayed in my room all day that summer and read books. My foster mother told DSS to come get me. During the 2 hour ride back to the shelter home, my caseworker bitched at me. She complained about all the paperwork she had to do as a result.

Almost a year later I became “most fortunate” and was placed with an elderly minister and his wife, He ran the largest baptist church in a nearby city. I had a room to myself and they seemed nice. The church ran a small school for disabled children next door and I could volunteer there, which I did regularly and enjoyed for almost 8 months. My first Sunday there I went to church with them and during the services the pastor told the congregation of 250+ how he and his wife had been called by Jesus to take in a child without a home. Then, in detail, they began to tell all these strangers the horrors of my life which my caseworker must have told them. I hated their guts from that moment forward. Obviously, I was there to service their egos. I got a job, saved every penny, bought a car, and moved out at 15. Nobody ever came looking for me. Too much paperwork I guess.

Today, my job puts me in proximity with these agencies often and they are more screwed up, understaffed and overworked today then they were 35 years ago. I am not sure these children left in the care of the state are too much better off. Most won’t be physically abused but they will be abused in new ways. There are some wonderful, caring foster parents out there; however, even the caseworkers admit that most foster parents do it for the money these days and I have seen instances where these children are still physically and sexually abused.

A practice that started about 15 years ago in my state, is to take 3 or 4 teenagers, give them a food allowance and medicaid cards, and place them in subsidized housing. The State pays the rent and utility bills and a caseworker is required to come by once a month and make sure they aren’t dead. That is how much these children mean. Can you imagine the impact this has on these children and what type of citizens they become? This country is so screwed.

Here is what I intended to post before I read the last few post and had a flashback.

Turns out Palin actually let a genuine African Witch Hunter bless here political rise and pray to keep witches out of her path. I don’t know if you guys are familiar with African Witch Hunters but they have the say-so in the torture and murder of those women they decide to label as witches. This video of Palin, taken 3 years ago, smacks of the modern day version of some real scary thinking!

Palin, Blessed By Witch Hunter. You are going to have to watch a commercial first and hear a brief commentary another Palin issue before the video started.

The commentary is dead on. If this was Barak Obama, Palin supporters would label him the anti-christ and held a public immolation. I am surprised the major networks haven’t picked up on this yet.

This makes Jeremiah Wright seem like a Disney character.

When I watched this i started thinking that if she is going to be a heartbeat away from the presidency some pro-life, hyper religious fan shoots McCain to fulfill some prophecy and place Palin on the throne.

P.S. DAGNY – I posted a thread about Kale Chips under Food Preparation. Hope yu will visit and share your recipe/thoughts. A small Bunch of organic kale is $3.29 here.

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Thanks for sharing your experience and the link Meditating.
    The abuse you had to deal with is quite upsetting btw.
    (addendum – I don’t / didn’t mean to sound trite or cavalier with this – preceding – comment. I can really empathasize actually, but can’t get into it here on GR).
    I just love hypocrisy in the guise of ‘the religious’. Yep… each day my agnosticism drifts further towards atheism

Regarding the Witch Hunt all I can say is UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PALIN IS A COMPLETE NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ignorance is UNBELIEVABLE!! First of all real Witches or Wiccans Don’t believe in or ‘worship’ Satan. Satan is a Christian Creation.
    I have several friends who are Wiccan. Wiccans are not evil people. Wicca is a Nature-based, nature-loving religion.
    SP is absolutely out of her bloody mind.
    Yeah – Let’s all go out & elect her and start persecuting people like we did in Salem Village. Let’s hang little old ladies… and crush men to death (like they did to Giles Corey) for being “in league with ‘the devil’”.
    What a f’ing idiot!
    This news footage would be laughable if it weren’t so damn scary.

• meditating – i cannot believe what you have been through. i feel like it would be an insult to offer you sympathy – because you are so strong and graceful in your words – so please just take it at face value that i wish i could wave a wand and erase your pain while leaving you with the strength it may have helped build. and i also saw the stories the past couple of days about palin and the witch hunting. you get the feeling mccain’s advisors are watching these videos and just thinking ‘oh sh*t, guess we should have done a little research.’? redemma – welcome to the forum! i just got home after an evening out and inhaled several handfuls of kale chips straight from the dehydrator. so crumbly, but so tasty!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Ms. Kaley Breath (aka DagnyTaggart)~ If you get tired of munching on the kale crumblies, crush them up and put them in a shaker and shake, shake, shake over salads and other yummies. :)

• thanks blue! i will do. and if kale breath is a bad thing!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

DagnyTaggart~ Is kaley breath a good thang????... sniff… sniff… can’t smell ya here. Guess you will have to ask someone little closer to you. teehee

Katie Couric interviewed Sarah Palin on CBS. You can watch the tree parts of the interview online from their news page.

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

I can’t get down w/ either candidate. I don’t even have to explain why…or maybe I do but I don’t even want to get that deep into it. But “change”?, what change? Adding 90,000 troops, Mr. Obama? Helping your Wall Street campaign finance buddies? Not speaking out of injustice? What a joke.

I am a black American and it saddens me to see so many of my people go for the okie doke and not only vote for Obama (particularly in the primary where there were other, more progressive choices), but to think that he is so significant to our future and that he will change life for us. People are celebrating as if it’s a sporting event – all hail Obama. Not me.

He supports all of the current constructs in this country that most people on this board despise. All of them. And this is just Obama I’m talking about – I won’t even begin to touch on McCain/Palin.

This is who I am voting for: http://mckinney-clemente.org/ http://www.votetruth08.com/

Visit both links if you have the time.

There IS a third party – in this case, the Green party – let’s build it up. And, no, Ralph Nader is not the party’s nominee. If only 5% on the population, eventually, voted for a third party candidate, it would create seismic changes politically. There is a reason that any third voice is kept out of the debates, and it’s not because “people don’t want to see them”. They don’t want to have to compete with another message that may resonate with a lot of people and force the nominees in these two super-parties to tweak their platform to avoid losing votes.

Anyway, like minded people on here, please read up on what I’m talking about. I don’t work for this campaign or anything…but I know people on here appreciate truth.

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

In the primaries, my husband was for Obama and I was for Clinton. However, I will now support Obama. While I’m sure Obama is not perfect, I do see him as the MUCH lesser evil of the two major candidates. I totally respect people’s choices for voting third party. However, I believe these votes to third parties are a huge help in keeping the current regime in power. Now that is extremely scary to me. I don’t see how our country can continue to survive with the same administration in power for yet another 4 years.

Could someone point me to all this negative stuff about Obama that is not written by small third parties or the Republican campaign? I’m getting a lot of good information about him and seem to like him the more I research about him. And Michelle totally rocks!! I have the utmost respect for her!!

I’m really looking forward to the debates, but find it ridiculous that McCain wants to back out…using the bailout as an excuse. As Obama said, a president must be able to multi-task…hehe

http://www.blackagendareport.com/index.php?opti…

There is something that is anti Obama and NOT from a third party or the Repubicans. And I can post a lot more where that came from, I almost randomly selected that article because I don’t have to time to look closely.

Later on I will invest some time in finding the best articles.

He is only slightly lesser evil in my opinion. I don’t see the huge difference everyone else does, aside from marketing and branding and who they try to appeal to – but look into the guts of the campaign and its all more of the same.

thecavsman – that article isn’t on the website anymore. I did check out the website for just a bit and noticed it seems rather anti-Obama, but maybe I’m wrong?. (I was skimming the discussions!)

What about something from a more neutral souce? Sorry, but I just want to try and understand why some folks do not like him or his policies. I like to see both sides :-)

I was just checking both major campaign websites briefly. The funny thing is that under Issues, there is NOTHING about the enviornment on the McCain website which is really no surprise. If you look under the issues on the Obama site, there’s a whole section on the environment and even stuff about protecting wetlands, national wildlife and supporting organic farmers. I wouldn’t be surprised if McCain and especially Pain have never eaten anything organic in their lives. I may start a separate thread for this…

Ok, I better do some work now :-)

Yeah, Joyce, we will need our own thread for this. Maybe after the debates or something.

I just think it’s all marketing. The conservative base doesn’t want to hear anything environmental when they (a lot of them) already had a McCain beef from the beginning. He isn’t marketing himself as the change/domestic candidate. He is running on people’s fears about the rest of the world. So to mention anything environmental would be a shot in the foot – that isn’t his battle.

We can get into this more at another time – but the way I see it is that we need to look at marketing for what it is. Subway markets itself as healthy all the time, but how many of us grab a sub? How many of us eat Kashi all day? People eat sugarless gum because they think it’s better for them. Or they drink HFCS laced “fruit drinks” so they can get their 5 servings a day. But it’s all a mirage. I apply those prinicpals to politics. Obama has never gotten in the way of power. He bows to power. He is that unhealthy drink, like Sunny Delight, that brags about all the synthetic, corporate sponsored “vitamins” inside. I don’t drink Sunny D because it’s better than a hamburger – I eat neither and let the money I invest in truly healthy things make an impact.

OK enough with my attempt and relating politics to raw food lol.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Hey Joyce-I’m gonna try to give a crack at your question since you were so courteous in answering mine on the other thread. This is information I’ve gathered generally(I live in the midwest so there’s alot of it. ha) about Obama and why people dislike him.

I personally don’t care for either candidate and I recall saying in the primaries that if it came down to McCain(my least favorite of the republicans running) and Obama(my most favorite of the democrats running) I wouldn’t know who to vote for.

There really is no neutral source but this is from the general public.

1. many people feel that he makes promises he can’t keep just to gain their support.

2. They think his connections and how he handles them (jeremy wright) are shady.

3. It scares them that he has so much power of speech that people follow him unconditionally. They’re afraid that he could turn around and use that for the wrong things

4. They’re upset that the media is biased towards him and only bashes the other side. This makes them bitter for some reason. I still haven’t figured that one out.

5. He’s young, and black. Honestly, this is ridiculous but people are like that sometimes. It’s unfair but true.

So that’s what I’ve heard over and over again. I don’t know if I’ll vote for Obama. My main focus right now is getting our economy under control. I’m not sure if it’s possible under either. Sort of depressing.

CAVSMAN – I agree with you about Obama. After all, this man was a civil rights lawyer and he voted for FISA. That like a nutritionist telling people how healthy it is to eat high fructose corn syrup. I suspect Obama will do what Clinton did that most Democrats never realized – move the party right by often giving corporations what they wanted.

Obama is a big, big supporter of nuclear energy too and that lobby has pumped money into his campaign. Given the current energy situation, we could easily end up with nuclear plants all over this country. Nuclear plants require huge amounts of water daily to cool reactors, which will contribute to the water shortages caused by overpopulation and drought (global warming). Some global warming theories assert that when the Greenland ice shelf collapses, much of the world’s water supply will become brackish. We would have to build desalination plants for our water supplies and water would become insanely expensive.

Where I live, we were categorized as being in a serious drought for the past several years. The nuclear lobby had the state’s guidelines for defining a drought changed so they could convince the people their water supply was not in danger. Then our idiot lawmakers approved to build a nuclear plant here which will pull 300 million gallons of water from the local river to cool the reactor DAILY. How screwy is that? As long as there is an alternative energy supply they could shut down the plant when the river is dangerously low (which it where it was before the classification). What are our options when there is no alternative energy? Go without power or water.

I have voted third-party since Clinton’s second term. I don’t think it is a vote wasted. This year I don’t feel that way. The majority of Americans are frightened and incapable of logical thought. They have emotional, knee-jerk reactions to our problems, of which there is no shortage. If McCain gets elected, I think Palin will end up as president before 8 years go by.

We have been so invested in material things with no thought towards sustainability, which is actually contrary to our economic model. I have believed for years this country is headed for the wall. I would like to delay it as long as possible. George Bush has done enough damage to cripple this country for the next few decades. We don’t need more incompetent and crazy people taking over. Obama is not the messiah most of his supporters want him to be, but there is no contest between Obama/Biden and McCain/Palin. None.

• KevlarKevlar Raw Newbie

You’re right, there is no competition – the elections are rigged.

http://www.blackboxvoting.org/

“The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything.” – Joseph Stalin

Whether the voters decide or not, in the general elections, the candidates are so similar that it doesn’t matter. Why rig the election when those in power are OK with either candidate. That is what kills the conspiracy theorists to me. If the powerful elite weren’t OK with Obama, he just would get slammed by the media into a loss – he would have lost a long time ago. No need to let the guy in and then cheat him out @ the end lol

I guess I will just have to agree to disagree with you meditating, about how different these candidates are. I think that Obama will stall the progressive movement long term but that’s a long discussion to have. Maybe when I have more time. I like your basic ideas tho – it is like music to my ears to hear a like minded person that doesn’t believe all the Obama stuff.

Troubles – thanks for your response..my head is spinning today between work and all this political stuff :-)

Meditating – I am also one who is not super excited about nuclear plants. After all, we have the Vermont Yankee nuclear plant in Southern Vermont and that facility is a horror story. I wish they’d shut it down but everyone’s so darn afraid their electric bills will double and Vermont is very expense in regards to utilities and especially heating!

I looked up Obama and nuclear energy on factcheck.org and found this interesting. McCain is definitely the much bigger supporter in nuclear energy and was supposedly trying to smear Obama by saying Obama was against nuclear energy (from what I interpret). However, Obama is in support of nuclear energy as long as it’s clean and safe….gosh, I hope he will really stick to safe :-)

“The McCain ad also portrays Obama as saying “no to clean, safe, nuclear energy.” That’s false. Obama has said he’s open to building new nuclear plants if they are clean and safe.”

Here’s the whole article. It’s interesting and I’m glad it also states that Obama is very much interested in a variety of new energy technologies like biofuels, wind and solar.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/distort…

On a lighter note, I’m heading out to get the stuff for Poemomm’s gnocchi. My husband wanted a pesto sauce so I’ll torn between Bitt’s recipe and Alissa Cohen’s which was also recommended. And I’m looking forward to making more of ofek’s real hummus recipe tonight…...so glad it’s Friday

So much political information my head feels like it wants to burst :-) but I’m still looking forward to the debate tonight!!!! Glad McCain decided to do the right thing!

PS – thecavsman : I’d like to hear more about the progressive stuff :-)

McCain IS going to be there? I thought it was pretty irresponsible when he said he might not. You’ve gotta be able to think about more than one thing as a president. He can’t just suspend things he has already committed to.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

McCain is going to the debates? Oh, that’s a good thing.

One of my biggest concerns in this election IS energy. In the news the other day Comcast reported from 2007 to 2008 the increase in global warming was 3%. If you read the latest Scientific American issue, it explains both McCain’s and Obama’s energy plans. I wrote a quote of the information from this issue:

“Both John McCain and Barack Obama have called for a cap-and-trade system to cut carbon emissions, although Obama’s proposed reduction (80% from 1990 levels by 2050) is larger than McCain’s (65 percent)..... ....McCain would subsidize the construction of 45 new nuclear reactors, costing upward of $270 billion and taking 20 years to complete. Why invest that much public money in nuclear rather than solar or wind power, which could start pumping out watts much sooner? How would offshore drilling, which McCain has urged, help wean the nation off fossil fuels?”

I’ll write more quotes later, but I gotta run now.

Solar power is so amazing. Since we know how to harness it why aren’t we using it more? If it was more easily available to the public I would use it in a heartbeat.

• KevlarKevlar Raw Newbie

thecavsman wrote: “Whether the voters decide or not, in the general elections, the candidates are so similar that it doesn’t matter. Why rig the election when those in power are OK with either candidate. That is what kills the conspiracy theorists to me. If the powerful elite weren’t OK with Obama, he just would get slammed by the media into a loss – he would have lost a long time ago. No need to let the guy in and then cheat him out @ the end lol

Check into the voter fraud in the 2000 and 2004 elections. This isn’t a conspiracy theory.

It’s done to give the people the illusion of choice. If you’ll notice, Obama and McCain have been about neck-and-neck (as if we believe that), just like Obama and Hillary were neck-and-neck, and Bush and Kerry were neck-and-neck, and Bush and Gore were neck-and-neck. See a pattern?

They make it a really tight horserace to keep the people watching, like it’s some kind of twisted sports competition, and everybody roots for their favorite team.

It also has the very nice side-effect of giving everyone an excuse to blame the third-party candidates. Like, “If only Nader hadn’t run, Al Gore would have gotten the extra 1% he needed.”

The people who pull the strings are very, very smart.

Your raw foods analogy is spot-on though. I’ll pass on the HFCS and the artificial sweetener. Just give me some stevia. :)

Solar power, wind power, and geothermal energy are my top picks! I read in Scientific American also that we could harness all the solar power from the Sahara Desert and somehow transport it throughout the world? And then transport wind power from Siberia, while the largest site of geothermal energy in the world is located in California.

I’d have to go fetch the article again, but I remember being fascinated by harnessing certain types of energy and transporting it all over the world.

Oh and one other thing about Obama’s energy policy from Scientific American:

“Obama has spelled out intermediate milestones foe emissions reductions and specific targets for biofuels and other renewables. How would these goals be enforced? He has promised $150 billion over 10 years for energy research and development as well as s $10-billion-a-year venture capital fund….... .....Oddly, he has promised “to fight the efforts of big oil and big agribusiness to undermine” corn-based ethanol. How has agribusiness sought to undermine corn ethanol? If anything, it seems rather opposite. And why sustain support for corn ethanol when it is the most ungreen of all biofuels?”

Cellulosic ethanol (from switchgrass, stalks of corn, etc) is far more efficient, but the technology hasn’t been developed yet. Obama should add this to his energy policy, in my opinion.

I started a special thread for this but thought it was so important that I would post a piece of it. The Humane Society of the US has endorsed Obama/Biden.

www.hslf.org

http://www.goneraw.com/forums/other-stuff/topic…

Here’s an important part of the statement regarding Sarah Palin:

While McCain’s positions on animal protection have been lukewarm, his choice of running mate cemented our decision to oppose his ticket. Gov. Sarah Palin’s (R-Alaska) retrograde policies on animal welfare and conservation have led to an all-out war on Alaska’s wolves and other creatures. Her record is so extreme that she has perhaps done more harm to animals than any other current governor in the United States.

Palin engineered a campaign of shooting predators from airplanes and helicopters, in order to artificially boost the populations of moose and caribou for trophy hunters. She offered a $150 bounty for the left foreleg of each dead wolf as an economic incentive for pilots and aerial gunners to kill more of the animals, even though Alaska voters had twice approved a ban on the practice. This year, the issue was up again for a vote of the people, and Palin led the fight against it—in fact, she helped to spend $400,000 of public funds to defeat the initiative.

What’s more, when the Bush Administration announced its decision to list the polar bear as threatened under the Endangered Species Act, Palin filed a lawsuit to reverse that decision. She said it’s the “wrong move” to protect polar bears, even though their habitat is shrinking and ice floes are vanishing due to global warming.

The choice for animals is especially clear now that Palin is in the mix. If Palin is put in a position to succeed McCain, it could mean rolling back decades of progress on animal issues.

Ok, this is the whole reason that got me so upset over Sarah Palin to begin with. Perhaps I should have been an animal rights activist. But I trust I am not alone on this wonderful raw vegan website :-)

Peace x

• Joyce, I’d also like to add something that I read in the NY Times today. When Sarah Palin was mayor of Wasila, she approved legislation requiring rape victims to buy their own rape kits so it wouldn’t be at the expense of local government or tax payers (unless you were the tax payer who happened to be raped). Just adding something else to this long, and very heinous list.