Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Definitely Not a Palin fan

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Phew, the NYTimes FINALLY reported on this!!! This news has been around for weeks, and the big name newspapers have been babying palin by not reporting it. I’m THRILLED to vote for Obama, he is an upstanding, honest man. VOTE OBAMA!!

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Thanks for your entry Mon46. Yes it is obscene – and the charges for the forensic kits is one of the reasons I started this forum…

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Hey Everyone,

I wrote this back in 2003 yet it seems a good time now to share it…

btw Rated R

http://www.purelyraw.com/f%20the%20economy.mp3

Cheers, Chris

• ChrisCarlton

Yes, with the way I am feeling right now I needed that.

I enjoyed your Battle Cry!!!

Now…I have to take a step back from the madness… and go breath in some Nature!!!

Before I too go Mad!

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I think the candidates are very similar when it comes to much of the corporate/wealth control of this country. Having said that, they are still very different and, in my opinion, one is far more dangerous than the other.

As for the Palin rape issues, here is a spoof on Palin’s policies toward rape victims, which is titled Sara Palin and the Rape Kits, and includes the following quote:

It’s almost as if a rapist rubbed a magic lamp and Palin popped out and granted him three wishes.

Here is another spoof video advertising the new movie “Head of Skate” which plays on Matt Damon’s statements about a hockey mother who becomes president. Head of Skate Trailer

• You’re welcome greenghost and winona. For 8 years I feel like we’ve been living in Bizarro world, where everything is opposite of what it’s supposed to be. The Bush administration is the worst one in this country’s history, and to be presented with 4 more years of the same is unthinkable. Unfortunately, however, it is a very real possibility. When I look at Sarah Palin, all I see is the very worst this country has to offer…like the underbelly of the American psyche. I said earlier that we are “fighting for our lives.” I forgot to mention the lives of our children and the health of the planet. I know I’ll get flak for this, but for those of you voting for a 3rd party candidate, please reconsider. This is dire. I do understand the importance/right of using your vote the way you want, but this is no time to throw your vote away on someone who won’t win. This election is CRUCIAL. You may not love Obama (I do like him, but also recognize he is a politician which is inherently problematic), but look very, very carefully at the alternative. There will not be a way to move forward if McCain/Palin are elected, and most definitely we will keep sliding down the horrendous slope we are on. We as a people are better than that and deserve more. We’ve gotten so used to accepting less and NOT QUESTIONING IT that we have ended up under a regime (yes, regime) that has limited civil liberties, destroyed our position in the world, and has facilitated a complete financial breakdown through lack of oversight and by creating a massive deficit. We have to fight back.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Meditating, you just made me blow tea out of my nose with that quote! I think I just laughed myself into an asthma attack:-D

Mon46, “Bizzaro world” is a good description!

The thing that surprises me, is that I assumed Republican women would be disgusted with the McCain’s choice of Palin for running mate. I didn’t think they would be fooled for one second and just spit anger at the obvious disrespect McCain has for women of his own party. But wow, I’m seeing the opposite.

I guess the past 25 years were successful in turning the American woman’s mind back into a lump of nodding, preening pudding.

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

Sorry can’t vote Obama. He is the man at talking out of both sides of his mouth about nothing substantial. Promises nothing but more of the same. I’ll leave it at that for now.

• Wow. Watching the debate and Obama is SO blowing McCain away on so many levels. Very intersting to me to watch their body language: McCain refuses to look at Obama at all. He grits and tenses his jaw constantly, shifts his weight, and when he speake he says ” I want… I want….” but no actual specifics of what he WILL do, and when he smiles it seems more forced. On the other hand, Obama looks directly at McCain consistently- both while addressing his replies to Jim’s questions or addressing McCain’s accusations, and while McCain gives his replies to Jim he still looks at McCain. Obama is relaxed in his facial expressions, his stance, and when he chuckles. He also speaks in terms of “I WILL do (this or that)” and, overall, in a much more assertive, confident mannner, and more of the style of a leader- confident yet he is not being cruel, arrogant, or condescending towards McCain, as some poor excuses of leaders do towards their opposition.

But then McCain is just another puppet- a follower of his higher ups, just as Bush Jr is, so it makes sense that he is not able to act in the manner of a true leader. It’s quite obvious to me that Obama actually THINKS for himself, thinks himself about the issues he is addressing (unlike McCain who is out of touch with middle class Americans), and believes in what he proposes and states, while McCain stammers, skirts around giving specific answers, attacks Obama (smoke screen distractions and stalling) instead of stating what he himself will do to change our situation, and has trouble saying what he will specifically do. McCain can only recite and regurgitate what he has been told and trained to say, it is not coming from a stance inner belief and steadfastness like it is with Obama.

That’s my thoughts so far. :)

Can only think that people who STILL woud vote for McCain are SO in denial and in the “fog of the sheeple” trance after seeing this. ...Oh. And, of course, the big medical corporations that Obama must have royally pissed off by saying he would cut their strings to the lobbyists and Medicaid money through their private contracts. heehee

No Obama’s not perfect, no one could be-(and I sure would love to see the other parties allowed up there, too) but he sure as hell beats out McSame!

Edit: How hilarious that Biden replied afterwards, but the GOP WON’T ALLOW Palin up there to comment! How flipping stupid are people who think she is capable when it’s clear the very own people who picked her as their puppet and distraction do not believe she is capable and can benefit her party’s stance (and chances) by commenting! They have to keep her on a leash and under tight cover lest the public see how incapable (and horrific) she truly is.

• Aspire, I absolutely agree with your assessment of the debate. What also was painfully apparent is that age actually does matter in this situation. You can’t have a 20th Century man doing a 21st Century job. And those “folksy” tricks that McCain was relying on (“This is an old, pen”, etc.) were also a stark contrast to Obama’s directness. Despite my overall distrust of politicians (based on years of being disappointed!), Obama does inspire me. I think his mind is extraordinary clear and very, very agile. He provided specifics and didn’t back down. And he attempted to actually engage with his opponent, who was unable to reciprocate. I hope people can actually see what happened tonight.

• Mon46- you summed up the debate and debaters in a much more precise and direct way than I. Well said! :)

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

I loved the line when McCain said that he was not Miss Congeniality. I guess that’s why he needed to have Miss Congeniality in the form of Sarah Palin for vice president spokes model.

• RCBAlive- lol :)

• aspire, let’s say our statements complemented each other! I think you are pretty darn clear. RCBAlive, didn’t he mention Miss Congeniality a couple of times? Perhaps he did mean “Miss Convenientality”, his “add some water and you got a female VP” running mate.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

ASPIRE Wow I noticed that too. At least Obama, to some level, respected McCain and looked at him. At the beginning, I thought Obama was a bit passive but he became more aggressive throughout it. I felt that McCain was being manipulative, he was talking about minor things that aren’t specifically relevant. Obama would say “you” to McCain, or “John”. McCain was focusing too much on “being honored to meet the troops” or something ridiculous like that.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

mon 46 i had the same feeling watching the debate, although i felt mcain did much better than i thought he would…it really interestes me to hear about the different takes on the debate. my mom the staunch democrat felt Obama didnt do well and shouldnt have said mccain was right on some points. a military freind said she thought Obama was a stuttering freak, clearly riled by the cool mccain! i couldnt watch it myself so i LISTENED and kept my eyeballs glued to my knitting..when i did look up i saw mccain not addressing obanma and not even looking at him, and i saw obama looking comfortable and prepared…i feel he personally does better when he doesnt read from who ever writes his speech, his rythem is better and he seems to say what he feels instead of what he feels dressed up by a speech writer…you know who ever wins has a shit job ahead… my one ranting will be why did mcain keep bringing up the war veterans? i felt excluded personally as an american and not a veteran….the war in iraq is no vietnam, nd those boys will come home supported for the job they have done over there. where is he getting they wont? people oppose the war not the soldier..right?

OT, MEDITATING: thank you for sharing about your childhood, hugs!

• omshanti, you bring up a very important point. The debates are like a rorshach blot; each person sees it differently. You think you’re seeing 1 thing and the other person sees something completely different. In other words, it’s totally subjective. In answer to your question about McCain bringing up war veterans…it is obvious that they make up a large part of his base, but these tend to be Vietnam vets, not Iraq war veterans. Part of McCain’s problem is that he really is stuck in time, and actually views the 2 wars as being the same. Of course there are obvious similarities, but these are very different times and the world is a different place. This problem of seeing the world now was very clear in McCain’s “I don’t talk to dictators” theme vs. Obama’s correct view that we must have dialogue (not the same as supporting or condoning) with rogue states in order to obtain information and conduct ourselves globally. It’s akin to Robert McNamara’s statement that you have to “know the enemy”, although he was talking more about learning about “the enemy’s” culture rather than engaging directly with its leaders. Maybe it’s myopia, but I don’t understand the complaints people have with Obama. He’s not perfect, of course, but he is a man with a terrific mind who is able to see the big picture. He did not rely on tricks during the debate, but actually had a grasp of the facts. I also find it refreshing that he sees the U.S. as part of the world and not the other way around. We need a leader who understands that our “power” does not lie in colonialism but in being a participant in the “global village”. O.K., I’ll shut up now.

I am definitely not a Palin fan, nor am I McCafferty fan, but, he really nailed it with this one: (sorry if this link is already in this thread) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM3iWlTiEGc

Watching Palin in the few interviews that she was “permitted” to participate in, her answers seem more and more like Miss Teen South Carolina from 2007. (sorry if this link is already in this thread) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww However, Miss Teen South Carolina is a teen and is not a politician. What is Palin’s excuse? I feel sorry for Miss Teen; I feel sorry for the citizens of the US and am petrified if we were put in the position of having Palin as our president.

And Mon46, I’m with you, this is absolutely bizarro world. I just cannot believe this. TomsMom, i’m with you on the rational thinking that Republican women would be disgusted with McCain’s choice for vice president, but in bizarro world that is not the case. I know that there must be other choices for women who would be qualified to fill this position if he was committed to choosing a woman VP. What was he thinking?

Sorry, I mean Cafferty, not McCafferty. I guess I have Mc on the brain.

• Go to www.palinbingo.com before the live debate tonight and play Palin Bingo!!!

• OMG, rawleen, this is too funny. We’ll be playing Palin Bingo tonight!.

I think of it as Orwellian World. Black is White, Up is Down – we’ve had eight years of that sh@* and now the Republicans are running as if they’re an independent party. Welcome to Orwellian World, we’re living in it.

so many articulate & thoughtful responses on this thread- I’d love to respond more, but I’m four minutes from Palin Bingo! It’s a good thing we can laugh, despair won’t help anything -

• I tried to watch the Palin/Biden debate, but after about 40 minutes I couldn’t bring myself to continue watching it. Palin, literally, made me sick at my stomach watching her cheerlead for McCain, her thinly-veiled sarcasm and sugar-coated war-mongering, more brainwashed puppet, greedy and “seperatist” attitude. That people can’t see through her and McCain just sickens me. It would mean another 4 years of shady, tyranic, Constitution-stripping laws, unending and financially draining wars, and mind-dumbing pseudo-religious key phrase spouting to “rally” a hugely ignorant, manipulated, and lied-to mass. Ugh.

My literal gut instinct is very strong about her and McCain, it leaves no doubt what my consciousness feels towards their candidacy.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I couldn’t stomach watch that b**h in the debate! yuck. you’re right meditating, i’ve been living in bizarro world with the awful bush administration and mcain promises more of the same. PLEASE VOTE OBAMA folks, this is a desperate situation as meditating mentioned.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Yup Winona, that b**h kept making up ridiculous statements! Why did she keep smiling when they were talking very seriously about the economy. I watched it till about 10 and then I got the gist. Biden is very experienced, ready, and serious, and I found Palin to be very silly and inappropriate. She was very manipulative and persuasive. I’m glad Palin made another fool of herself…Biden only increased the chances of Obama’s victory and did really seem like he understood the problems. Palin, by the way, looks EXACTLY like the manager of my health food store who called the police on me because she thought I stole some coconut sorbet that I put back…long story..it’s just hilarious how alike this lady looks. It’s weird to see a person that follows me around the store for a year because I take two apple cider samples suddenly show as the Vice President of McCain….lol…..crazy. Palin is sickening.

• There’s Something About Sarah by Clinton Fein

October 11, 2008

It’s not the freakish, shrill non-answers she gives in the few not-quite interviews by not even close to journalists. It’s not the hard core fundamentalism, sugar-coated to create an illusion that she supported her unmarried teenage daughter’s “choice” to carry her fetus to term, when she would have insisted on it regardless—even if the father was her husband, who had raped her. After making her pay for the sex assault kit. And firing anyone who sought funding to cover the costs for said rape kits.

It’s not her inability to avoid sounding like a malfunctioning former beauty pageant contestant robot when responding to questions about serious topics around foreign policy experience—by regurgitating talking points about mavericks. Like Senator McCain is a maverick, Charlie, and like world peace, like, such as.

It’s not her strong affinity to pastor Thomas Muthee and the Assembly of God Church, parading their tragically comical “former gays’” for whom all powerful God, apparently in between warding off evil, car accident-causing witches, is able to cure of homosexual urges, although seemingly incapable of curing their limp wrists. A sad testament to the inefficacy of lisping in tongues.

It’s not her Greta Van Susteren moistening1 husband, the “First Dude” of Alaska, Todd, wrecking the Tundra while the underage kids binge drink and snort Oxycontin, nor the precision with which she was able to strong-arm the supposed father of her child’s child, a self-described child-averse redneck, from a carefree hockey playing teenager into a brooding, neutered mute destined to loathe and resent and blame Bristol for the rest of his life for her mother’s commitment to someone else’s at the expense of his.

It’s not the over-amped, amphetimine fueled, slightly manic data dump that all but immersed debate moderator Gwen Ifill, who McCain suggested had racist intentions based on her writing of a book about Obama, perhaps in an unsuccessful attempt to distract those of us who remember his buddy, Don Imus, referring to Ifill as a “cleaning lady.” McCain would make sure Sarah wasn’t intimidated by any nappy-headed hos2. Anymore than he would refer to his wife, Cindy, as a cunt.[3]

It’s this freak of nature. The anti-Christina of Feminism. This aw shucks automaton that will earn Tina Fey an Emmy, and elevate the ratings of Rachel Maddow on MSNBC, gives me the chills in ways I don’t quite understand. The notion that after nearly eight years of George W. Bush, America still believes that they’d rather have a President who they could knock back a beer with than one who might be able to string together a coherent sentence. The Tits on the Ticket personification of America’s racist undertone, allowing the narrowest of minds the perfect conduit to get away with voting for the bitch rather than the nigger and still look progressive.

Sarah Palin has managed to undo years of feminist progress, despite intelligent arguments to the contrary by the likes of Camille Paglia. Whether it’s the Black movement, the Women’s movement or the Gay Movement, the ultimate mark of progress is demonstrated by a new generation at liberty to simply accept and demand the rights and freedoms they deserve without any appreciation of the blood, sweat and tears sacrifices made by the activists that came before them. Sarah Palin could pursue her ambitions – from pipe playing beauty pageant contestant to Alaska governor – unapologetically without playing the victim card. Good for her. But make no mistake, Sarah Palin is no Hillary Clinton, Benazir Bhutto or Winnie Mandela.

Her interviews with Katie Couric of CBS News set the bar for the one and only Vice Presidential debate so extraordinarily low that the fact that she didn’t sound like a lobotomized drunk was enough for Pat Buchannan to declare that conservatives across the country were heaving a collective sigh of relief, and the rest of America to declare her performance a success. But, as Maureen Dowd pointed out, “she dangles gerunds, mangles prepositions, randomly exiles nouns and verbs and also — ‘also’ is her favorite vamping word — uses verbs better left as nouns, as in, ‘If Americans so bless us and privilege us with the opportunity of serving them,’ or how she tried to ‘progress the agenda.’”

The problem is not how low Sarah Palin set the bar for the debates, however. It’s how low she has set the bar for the Vice Presidency, and given John McCain’s precarious health and age, the Presidency. Contestants for American Idol are given more scrutiny than Sarah Palin’s vetting process and subsequent media access combined.

As we head into the final stretch, Sarah Palin has transformed into an attack dog, zoning in on Obama’s supposed ties to 60s radical William Ayers. “Our opponent … is someone who sees America, it seems, as being so imperfect, imperfect enough, that he’s palling around with terrorists who would target their own country,” Palin told a group of donors in Englewood, Colorado. “This is not a man who sees America like you and I see America. We see America as a force of good in this world. We see an America of exceptionalism.” As the increasingly heated crowds become more racist, violent and threatening with every utterance.

A strange strategy, given Palin’s own dubious ties with the likes of pastor Thomas Muthee, or her links to the Alaska Independence Party that wanted Alaska to secede from the United States.

In response to her less than adequate performances, particularly with her Katie Couric interviews, Palin stated: “The Sarah Palin in those interviews was a little bit annoyed. It’s like, man, no matter what you say, you are going to get clobbered. If you choose to answer a question, you are going to get clobbered on the answer. If you choose to try to pivot and go to another subject that you believe that Americans want to hear about, you get clobbered for that too.”

No, Ms. Palin. You aren’t being clobbered for answering a question. You’re being clobbered for the pivoting. The notion that you somehow know better what American’s want to hear about as opposed to the Americans asking you the actual questions.

In the days leading up to the election, we are not going to learn anything more from Sarah Palin. She will continue to regurgitate talking points that contradict others she has made – less government, but more oversight, a fresh, energetic start that excludes an old Washington insider like Joe Biden, but not John McCain, Obama’s inexperience compared to her ability to see Russia from Alaska – and it’s the best we can expect from her.

Say it ain’t so, Sarah! There you go spewing talking points again like a senile Arizonian senator… Now, doggone it, let’s answer just one fucking question and tell Americans who and what the hell you are. You mention this imaginary media filter, and I’m glad you did. They are a pathetic bunch. But with your genuine belief in evil witches and the Flintstones, a little clarity from you is not asking too much now, is it? God help us. Our reward for your ascendancy is in hell, right?”

My only fear, and this is why Sarah Palin gives me the chills, is that for America, this inadequacy masked as mediocrity may just be good enough.

FOOTNOTES

(1) In perhaps the most embarrassing interviews ever aired, setting female journalists back a good few decades, Fox News’ Greta Van Susteren interviewed Sarah Palin’s husband, Todd, gushing like a nun at a prison rodeo, with in-depth, probing questions like “Go back to this ‘First Dude.’ I mean, who came up with ‘First Dude’? It’s a great name. I mean, who came up with ‘First Dude’?’ This, at a point where Palin had expressed his refusal to comply with a subpoena in the unfolding Troopergate scandal – the firing of the Public Safety Commissioner for the State of Alaska, Walt Monegon by Governor Palin. On October 10, 2008, an independent bipartisan commission of the Alaska Legislature cocluded that Palin had abused her power.

(2) Following the suspension and then firing of radio personality, Don Imus, from ABC and MSNBC respectively, after he referred to the Rutgers basketball team as “nappy headed ho’s,” John McCain was one of the few politicians to stand behind him, and was the first to appear on his new, albeit, castrated radio show.

(3) Cliff Schecter’s book, The Real McCain, recalls an incident in front of aides and consultant Wes Gullett in which McCain’s wife Cindy joked about his thinning hair. The ever even-tempered McCain is said to have responded, “At least I don’t plaster on the makeup like a trollop, you cunt.” McCain’s excuse was that it had been a long day. The generic excuse for Cindy’s tolerance is also known as hydrocodone.

http://www.redroom.com/blog/clinton-fein/theres…

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

FANTASTIC! A well-written, dead-on read. Thanks for that post.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Mmmm, good post, aspire. Thank you!

• Whoa, great essay, aspire, And anyone who can make Katie Couric look like mad-dog “Gotcha” Mike Wallace can’t be anything but a total lightweight. Thank you for posting this.

The Economist magazine reasoned that the world has a stake in the outcome of the US election, and they have world-wide readership, so they devised a global “what if” electoral college vote, and invited their readers to vote – red is of course McCain, and blue is Obama, (while I wish there were a viable Green choice, there isn’t, and that’s just the current reality in the U.S.). You may find it interesting to see the spread of colors across the planet. Keep in mind that Economist readers tend to be very conservative, and have money. There are 650 million people on the planet, and here is the Economist’s (albeit narrow) sampling of it’s mostly conservative readers:

http://www.economist.com/vote2008/

Also, on the Palin theme – If you need to laugh a little through your outrage (yes, you do!), this is good (warning two “bad words” used – both of which can be found in the above article):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DIc8jdra0o

Thanks for posting this article, aspire, and I’ll forward it on!

• short little video with John Cleese (actor from Monty Python movies), who describes Sarah Palin well…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMyNk8J1c8g

A pretty parrot who is trainable and memorizes her words well, but doesn’t have an actual comprehension of what they even mean! :D

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

The ONLY true bailout hope is a full repeal of the Federal Reserve Act followed by Government issued money. Then abolition of corporate laws that put profit to shareholders above any other responsibility a board has.

These two simple changes would go a long way!

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=70652…;hl=en

Cheers, Chris