Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

anyone have ideas for a challah bread substitute!

Hey Raw buddies,

Are there any Jewish raw fooders out there with a good substitute for challah bread?

Thanks for any ideas!

Steph

Comments

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Not Jewish. Tho I wish I was. Cousins book, “Rainbow Green Live Food” has a Challah bread recipe. It is called Sweet Sacred Challah.

• Thanks Beany! I guess I preempted my raw challah recipe request with the “are there any Jewish raw fooders” so someone who had no idea what Challah was could be like “oh…challah…must be something Jewish”!!

I found cousens Sacred Challah recipe about an hour after I posted this question, here is a link for anyone else interested: http://www.lesliegoldman.com/Essene_School_of_T…

• oh thanks, I’ll have to try that! :)

• I need one, but that recipe you linked to is way too complex and has nuts. I need a nut free version. I’m thinking of trying wheat berries (since that is what I have) blended with dates, ground chia seeds, and apple. If my experiment works, I’ll let you know.

My daughter still eats challah, and her oh so favorite challah french toast, but I’d love to transition our household to a raw challah for the sabbath so I can have some too.

• I rent a room and live with a Jewish family and I’m trying to let me treat them to an entirely raw shabbat! We’ll see if they will let me, lol!

Yes,little-gems, nuts are getting so high I to am looking for recipes with out them so if your Challah turns out o.k.. do post it. Thanks.

smiller- hope your Jewish family wants to be enlightened.smile

• I think they are half and half in interest right now!! I have not made my transition to raw yet actually, I’m doing a few weeks of different cleanses before I begin. Man Jewish food is sooo good though, lol…it’s going to be hard to find thnigs to replace some things! I’m already thinking on raw latkes, lol.

Arent latkes made with potatoes and onions? That one would need a dehydrator. Jicama, onion, nutmeg, garlic, salt, and a binder. Or is latkes a fish dish? Been raw way to long.lol Good idea about the cleanses. In my other time I made our meals right from scratch. Talk about good, but you know, you forget what SAD foods taste like, and think of all the new recipes you will be experiencing. Good stuff!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

beany~ Latkes are potato pancakes (the recipe varies according to region and family history). The fish dish you might be thinking of is gefilte fish.

Good, I was right in the first place. Me thinks, I over think! Thanks Bluedolfin. Haven’t seen you splashing around for awhile.

beany~ Sometimes my participation comes in waves… miss me? 8O)

• I have been making this bread recipe and it is my new favorite. I substitute hemp seeds for the sesame, since my daughter is allergic to sesame...

http://goneraw.com/node/14056

I braid a few loaves for my Shabbat Challah, and I LOVE it!

• randommararandommara Raw Newbie

Oooo! I want a knish! I wonder if you could make a raw knish?? Any ideas?

• I haven't tried knishes raw yet! But I just made absolutely wonderful raw sweet potato latkes! My Rabbi said they were some of the best he ever tasted and I would post them if I could figure out where I can post new recipes on the new goneraw, I just spent 30 minutes looking for a link to place new recipes :o(

smiller450~

For how to add a recipe during the website transitioning, see http://goneraw.com/forum/site-use-tips-and-hints#comment-104929.

Looking forward to your raw latkes recipe. :)

smiller450~

*tap* *tap* *tap*... we are (or at least I am impatiently) waiting for the recipe... where is it? teehee

• Raw_OrleansRaw_Orleans Raw Newbie

I've heard of a sprouted Bread.. I Think it is call Ezekiel bread or something... I'm Not Jewish either So I probably Misspelled It... And I Have No Idea if It Has anything to do with challah bread

• suekosueko Raw Superstar

I took a class with Shanti Cousen's in which we made raw Challah and it was wonderful. I'd post the recipe, but I'm hundreds of miles from home where the recipe is and I won't be home for a week. It's probably the one in the book, though. We made it in the morning and had it for Shabbat that evening.

Where is that latkes recipe?

Anyone figured out how to make knishes, Hammentaschen or tsimmes raw?

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

To the best of my knowledge, there are no raw versions of Ezekiel bread. At least, what I used to eat was not.

Ezekiel bread and Challah are very different breads and are not related. Challah is a sweet, egg-based bread that is very light, traditionally made for the Sabbath and holidays. Challah is traditionally formed/made into a braid. Challah is associated with Jewish life/tradition. However, I don't believe that Ezekiel bread is related to Jewish life/tradition though the recipe is inspired from text in a book of the Old Testament.