Needs a recipe FAST

CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Ok, I know there are a million recipes here, but am having trouble finding something that I can make TODAY, I have a potluck party I am going to at 7pm so I don’t have much time!!! I have a local whole foods store close to me though, so I should be able to come up with ingredients quick, I just don’t have time to soak stuff, freeze stuff or dehydrate stuff. ACK. Suggestions please!! OH, this is not a raw party, but want to bring a raw dish!

Comments

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

I just made this for my first raw potluck on Sunday: http://goneraw.com/recipes/4924-Jicama-Tabouli I replaced the Jicama with Butternut Squash, but other than that, I followed the recipe to a “t”, and walked away with an empty bowl. I used a whole medium butternut squash (minus the peel and the seeds inside) and it made a huge amount!

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

How about a mezza-ish platter with zuchinni hummus and olives along with cucumbers (and possibly carrots) for dipping OR a plate of vegetable nori rolls.

If it was a party with kids, I’d say ants on a log – doesn’t get quicker than that. Are they kids at heart!?

• Guac and veggies? I blend avocados with anything that sounds yummy (garlic, sea salt, maybe some herbs) and some veggies for dipping. Maybe you can even find some raw crackers at Whole Foods.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

What the heck is a jicama I don’t think I have ever seen one.

Kandace, the zuchinni hummus sounds fantastic. All I would have to get is the zuchinni and some stuff to dip in it!! Thanks!! I think I will go with this, unless something else that tops that pops up before I finish eating lunch and head to the store.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

hobbitgirl, yours popped up after I posted my last one. I was thinking about the guac, but my avos are not ripe yet. Unless I could find ripe ones in the store it wouldn’t work, but if I do I am tempted to do both. I make some awesome guac the other day! :)

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

Hi Caleb! I noticed that you live in Denton. I live just outside, but have lived in and around Denton for most of my adult life. You are the first Dentonite I’ve seen on this site. Welcome.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Daniefon, nice to e-meet you. I’m at the Cupboard a lot so maybe I will run into you soon, although I might be hard to recognize, I am beardless right now. :) Not sure if you are part of the Raw Meetup group, but I plan on going to the next meeting. Anyway, off to the cupboard right now to pic up a zuchini or two and hopefully ripe avos.

nice to meet you too! I don’t know about the Raw Meetup group, but would like to. I am in the Cupboard a bit myself. Maybe I’ll run into you there. I too am beardless.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Search the recipe section for Stuffed Mushrooms-you want Alissa Cohen’s Basil Pesto Stuffed Mushrooms. Just make the Pesto. Shred a bunch of zucchini in the food processor and use the Pesto for sauce. It’s soooo delicious! I just had it for lunch. Just a hint on that recipe, I added sea salt. I think it must’ve been left out of the recipe.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Kandace, just made the hummus. It tastes pretty good. I had to ad more tahini though, it was overpowered by lemon flavor and I didn’t even get a full half cup out of three small lemons. Hopefully it will be a hit. It made a lot though, I don’t know if I have enough flax crackers to go with it, so I supplemented some carrot sticks!

izhpt, I have been wanting to make something like that for a while. I think the raw mushrooms might scare this crowd off though :) I made some stuffed ones myself a while back with a spinach, mushroom, pine nut mix. It was for a quiche but I had leftovers so I stuffed it in some shrooms.

Danielle, I missed that you were going to be there. It was pretty busy in there today too. I was surprised. But had I known I would have looked out for the long brown hair ;)

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

The hummus was a hit. I had about 32oz of it, and I still have half left. There wasn’t a lot of people there though. Know I have a boat load of hummus I have to use in the next few days. People were shocked it has zucchini in it and most hadn’t head of tahini.

you mentioned a Raw Meetup group, are they in Denton? And, where can I find info about it? That hummus is great in a wrap with cucumber and tomato! I worded it funny yesterday, I meant that I am in the Cupboard often, but not yesterday. I have noticed that they are expanding their raw food section little bit at a time. I think I might start requesting items, so that I don’t have to buy them online. Nama shoyu is almost impossible to find, maybe that’ll be my first request.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Check it out here: http://rawfood.meetup.com/194/

I thought I have seen the Nama Shoyu there before. It’s further down the left though, not actually in the Raw section. Maybe the only have it now and then. I am pretty sure I bought it there before.

Also, did you know they have Goji berries in bulk for .51oz? They are on an end-cap in the front next to all the candy. Nice place for them eh?

That is an interesting place to put the gojis. That’s pretty cheap too. I will have to look for the Nama a little harder. Currently, I stock up whenever I am in Austin because it’s the only place I can find it, at the big Whole Foods downtown. I can’t open the link because it is blocked (I’m at work), but I will check it out from home. I would like to go to some, I don’t know anyone else that is raw. Some of my friends think it’s great, but a lot of other people think I am nuts (pardon the pun). Have you been to the meetups, and if so, what did you think?

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Daniella, wishing there was a way to message through here, so we don’t keep taxing the board, so shoot me an email.