Raw Food Product List

springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Hi Everyone: Me and troublesjustabubble have hatched up a plan to share everyones knowledge of raw products. If a product may/maynot be raw and you have written to the manufacturer and found out that it is raw, then put it on this thread. We are talking about things like a specific brand of coconut oil for example. Then we can all avoid that horrid feeling were you waste money on something because you subsiquently find out it is not raw…

Comments

• Woodstock Farms Medjool dates are raw. I e-mailed and asked a few weeks ago. They undergo no processing after they are harvested.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Alright, I’m just going to go ahead and mention the coconut oil that is raw that I’ve found since this is what drove us to make this thread. I recently found out that the term “cold pressed” is approved only for olive oil and can be used for anything else without regulation.

Here is a safe product to buy that is not heated above 78° during extraction. Wilderness Family Natural’s Centrifuged Coconut Oil at

http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/Merchan...

Hope this helps someone!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

My favorite olive oil: www.barianioliveoil.com – cold pressed AND unfiltered, and super yummy! When I ordered recently, the online ordering didn’t work, but I emailed them about it & just ordered via email. They also sell through stores, but this time I bit the bullet & ordered a 5 gallon bucket – costwise it was like buying 14 liters & getting 5 free, I think I figured. Good stuff!

• WHOA Spring leaf! That is an EXCLLENT idea!!! I was JUST about to post a reply for help in trying to find certain products and this looks like the perfect place to get my answers. I’m going to read through all the posts to see if anyone has already answered my questions, and if not, I’ll make another post. Thank you springleaf and troublesjustabubble :-) GREAT IDEA!

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

I am curious about a couple things. I have read stone ground mustard is raw, but I have two different types and neither seem to be raw. I also have a cashew butter that I am not sure is raw or not. I know the typical rule is that if it doesn’t saw raw it’s not. But I’m more curious about the stone ground mustard.

• rawperasinger, I thought that all dates were raw. Thanks for the info and the reference.

troublesjustabubble:) Thank you for the link and the “cold pressed info” I didn’t know that other oils could use this term on their labels without being regulated.

Angie Thank you for the bariani info. I’ve heard of this brand of olive oil, but wanted to know if someone else had tried it before I bought some.

NOW FOR MY QUESTION: Does anyone know where I can buy the following products in raw form? I would prefer it if I could buy them ALL AT THE SAME SITE. It would prevent me from having to pay shipping costs at 6 different sites:

RAW: CACAO, LACUMA, MESQUITE, COCONUT BUTTER (or cocoa butter…are they different? I want to use it for cooking…oops excuse me, non-cooking),COCONUT CREAM, COCONUT POWDER

Also, I don’t really understand the difference between all the different coconut products. I’m only experienced in using coconut water, milk, and oil. But there are some recipes on this website that I would like to try that call for the different coconut products. Could someone please explain the difference?

One more thing…I always thought that Braggs Liquid Aminos were raw…now I hear that this is not the case. Is this true?

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Kendra – Coconut butter is sometimes used to mean coconut oil (called butter because it is solid at room temperature) and other people use the term coconut butter to refer to ground-up coconut (this is also called coconut cream or coconut spread). Cocoa butter is different – it is the oil/butter pressed from the cacao bean.

Cacao, lucuma, mesquite, cacao butter & coconut oil you can get at www.sunfood.com – but you can get a lot more coconut oil for your money (even with the extra shipping) from Wilderness Family Naturals, and they also sell the coconut powder (called coconut flour), as well as raw dried coconut flakes.

• Yayyy!!! Thank you Angie! Woohoo, you saved me alot of time, because I’m supposed to be studying right now and I would have been comparing prices and products online all afternoon. I’m going to check out those websites.

I understand what you are saying about the coconut now…I am about to check out those sites before I get offline. Now I know that what I really want is raw cacao butter, ...I wanna make some chocolate! mmmm yummy! ...and coconut cream/spread and the other stuff.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

caleb—read the ingredients and they will most likely clue you in. if it has any kind of vinegar in it (which is must), than it has been distilled and pasteurized. the only “raw” mustard is made with ground mustard seed and raw apple cider vinegar, sea salt and maybe some turmeric.

cashew butter wouldn’t be raw unless it was ground from VERY SPECIAL cashews. they would gloat about this if it were raw, because unless you cared about them being raw, the process to unshell them involves a lot of heat. also, in the grinding of nuts is often where they reach a temperature above “RAW.” the good news is nut butters are a complete waste of money in terms of freshness and nuts per serving. you get more bang for your buck making your own. though, it’s obviously not as convenient, i know, i know.

• Kendra,

I get all of the products that you listed from realrawfood.ca. The shipping has been between $11 and $13 on orders around $120, so not bad considering that I live on the other side of the continent (the company is in the Okanogan Valley of British Columbia, Canada). My orders have all arrived within 7 days.

Good luck, Kendra (with your exams, too!)

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Like you said on the oil cleansing thread where the idea was born (didnt want to steal your idea without making reference to it)

Who can we petition for that ‘raw’ label, like they do for ‘certified organic/vegan/veg’ etc?

Like the soil association but for raw?

• Thank you rAWngish teechr…I’ll check that site out too. I keep checking back to this forum and keep getting good advice…thank you, and thank you for the well wishes. :-)

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

clr-I don’t know but shouldn’t it be like the FDA? They’re the only people regulating the food in this country. All they would have to do is set the guidelines for using the term RAW. It’d be pretty awesome

• What a wonderful and helpful thread this is. OK, I know someone mentioned this website a few posts back but I would like to also give my kudos to realrawfood.ca Part of the reason I am such a huge fan is because they tell you where all of the food is from and seem to have a relationship with every farmer they purchase from. It is a family owned business. I am brand new to raw foods and as I am painfully transitioning I have been eating 1000lbs nuts a month (kinda gross, I know :(). These nuts, including real raw cashews are some of the best I have ever had. These prices are also the best I have ever found. They offer tonnes of raw foods including Lacuma, Chia seeds, Hemp seeds, Cacao, Mesquite, Coconut everything, yacon chips, all nuts . . . . The only caveat is that there is a $100 minimum order which has prevented me from ordering until I can actually afford such an expense each time.

Another site I have just discovered and am waiting to see if they ship to Canada is lydiasorganics.com This site has very affordable raw granola at $8.15 lb. It also has bars and trail mix, etc . . . But seems like a very cool site with a great vision!

Kay, I’m done now :)

• Troublesjustabubble~ So glad about the coconut oil…cuz that’s the one I use. I just wish it was organic…it doesn’t say…so it probably isn’t, but it’s certainly incredible quality.

Trouble – We’ll have to sort something for both sides of the pond between us all.. :o)

I’m in the UK & its the Soil Association that certify organic..

I know Shazzie stamps her own ‘raw’ symbol on her stuff (even though some is on the dead list so I get confused) – Maybe I’ll email DYW, Funky Raw & the Fresh Network and ask if they might know if there’s anything we can do to suggest it or get an agreement between the UK suppliers at least..

Who might be a supplier over there? I know it might be more tricky for you guys as I think you have more choice & therefore more companies..

This could get interesting, I feel a mission coming on!!

• Hi CLR-1976,

I am in the UK too. What is DYW?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Strawberry, where are you in tke UK?

Detox your world – Shazzies website & on-line shop. You can find it at either

www.detoxyourworld.com

or

www.shazzie.com

One leads to the other though, so either’s good.

Its great to find another UK raw foodie on here, come and say on our thread in ‘Other Stuff’ (all welcome of course though!).

There’s a few pages now though and we’ve been gabbing about all sorts, most recently drunken mice & horses (nothing mean – that have eaten fermented stuff by accident) bless, check out Debs60’s field mouse & fermented berry story.. etc.. Welcome to the party!

• Have you checked this out?

Promoted by David Wolfe! My personal favorite (and it's raw) is Revitaphi. I have never met a green powder that I liked before. I LOVE how I feel from it!!!

www.noblelifeelements.com/lisa

• I agree a to what some have mentioned, we need Raw Certification. No matter who you deal with you can never be assured 100%.

With the number of food products we carry in our online store in Canada we have to accept the claims of our suppliers as being honest. Its rather impossible to trace the whole supply chain of ingredients often required to put a sinlge raw food product together. Also impossible to visit each manufacturer to "check up" on their operations.

A third party Raw certification organization would be the way to go. It has to start as the organic certifications organizations started many years back.

There are certification organizations of different types like fair trade, kosher and organic. One needs to establish the guidelines and certify those who abide by them. It doesn't need to be a government body doing it at this stage.

Now the question is who is interested in starting that up?