Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Update:

poemommpoemomm Raw Newbie

It’s autumn, and I’ve been working on new recipes.

Taking requests, btw, so feel free to ask, and I’ll come up with something for your cravings. :-)

Comments

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

poemomm I just want to say that you are awesome! Your recipes are so creative and mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
    I can’t thank you enough! Cheers to You!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i’d love to have a really great pumpkin pie recipe for thanksgiving. the one i tried last year from this site had a strange texture. ever tried any?

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

pianissima – have you tried Matthew Kenney’s pumpkin cheese cake? It’s the best raw food I’ve ever had, no exaggeration. It’s in his new book I believe but I got it from a raw Thanksgiving E-book last year.

poemomm – how about Italian gnocchi dumplings? And a tuscan themed sauce (red sauce or cheeze or anything really). Yes, you have wonderful recipes. Thanks for all your contributions :-)

actually Alissa Cohen’s pumpkin pie wasn’t bad at all… but I would cut back on the spice amounts.

• poemommpoemomm Raw Newbie

I’ve written the requests down, and I’ll be working on them!!!

greenghost and joyceh – you made me blush!

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

holidays with an Italian theme. Great! Can you make the Gnocchi with a grain? My part Irish mind can not say turnip-ravioli or rutabaga gnocchi dumpling and a lot of the common names to raw foods is refused by my Scandinavian-German Ya-right! attitude. I really think our new foods should have new names. My suggestion tho is, since it is getting into fall and winter, it would be nice if the foods used were in season. Less $$$$ So I am ready for your new &^*(%#&*#!%. YUM! Thanks.

this is a big thing with me – i like to eat local, fresh, seasonal, so in the winter we tend to get really limited around here. In the winter i eat a lot more cooked food for that reason (things like potatoes or beans need to be cooked to be proprly digested).

But I’ll work on the gnocchi thing. I’ve got some ideas – I’ll have to look into what to do.

JoyceH—no, i haven’t tried the pumpkin cheese cake. i picked up that man’s new book and my head swirled with the complicated recipes. i was the kind of “cook” that like to bake. =) did it take very long? i suppose i could put a little extra effort into something for a holiday. how do you get on the E-newsletter? or get the recipe?

you know beany, I’ve been doing a LOT of research, and it’s not looking like ‘real’ gnocchi are doable raw – for best nutritional assimilation, you’d have to cook the potatoes in some way first.

I’m not a 100% raw person, for several health and philisophical reasons. I don’t live somewhere where fresh produce grows all year round, so it’s not feasible for me (to balance on that knife edge between leaving a smaller footprint and eating raw… I’ve chosen to try and stay local in the winter, which means more cooked food).

Now, what i could do is create gnocchi out of defatted almond flour (what’s left over from making almond milk) and mac nuts- this is probably going to give you the closest thing to real gnocchi. I’ll play around and see what I can come up with.

poemommm – thanks so much for experimenting with gnocchi. My husband and I both being vegetarians found that gnocchi was usually an option in both Roman and Tuscan restaurants when we were in Italy. So it was lovely being able to have that option…I’ve always been a huge fan of gnocchi from the North End of Boston (Italian section). And my husband recently learned how to make an incredible cooked potato gnocchi with gorgonzola cheese sauce…

pianissima – the pumpkin cheese cake recipe is a bit expensive and moderately time consuming (but not too bad). However it’s worth every cent and effort in my humble opinion. Have you tried Ani Phyo’s cheeze cake recipe or any of the similar cheeze cake recipes on this site? The basic premise of these recipes is using soaked cashews and coconut oil in the filling. Kenney’s cheesecake uses carrot juice along with the cashews and coconut oil which provides a smooth texture and the spices make it taste very much like a pumpkin cheesecake. It’s totally brilliant.

I got my e-book from this website (ordered it for a few bucks)

http://www.rawfoodsnewsmagazine.com/

It is a compilation of recipes from various raw food chefs. If you email this woman from the website, she may be able to send it to you (it was for sale last year)

I would email you the recipe but I’m just not comfortable posting my email address publically online anymore

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

poemomm, I just had to chime in and say how much I love your recipes, and how excited I am to hear you are working on gnocchi! They are my favorite, and I was just fantasizing about them this morning. If anyone can figure out a raw version, I think it is you!

No other cravings come to mind at the moment, but I’m excited to hear whatever you’ve been working on!

awwwww.. thanks, jenny!

Joyce: gnocchi are one of those things where typically I’d probably choose to eat them (the COOKED version, in order to get the serotonin enhancing potato into my diet – I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder, and cooked potato is very much a natural antidepressant. I am one to use food BOTH for nutritional purposes (raw, for enzymes) and medicinal purposes (for instance, nutritional yeast and cooked potatoes). I’d do just a small portion (1/2c) with a very large salad.

BUT

I know that there are many, many, of my friends here on the site who are philosophically committed to eating 100% raw, so I’m happy to work on this one for them (and for you!)

It may take a while, though – you and I both know that gritty, clumpy, bitter ‘gnocchi’ are NOT going to cut it.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

poemomm – Awesome that you’re taking requests! I’ve never tried “real” gnocchi, so whatever you come up with I’ll probably like as long as it’s not nasty. ;) Anything using raw pumpkin would be great!

I made a pumpkin cheesecake-type thingy once. I blended up raw pumpkin with nuts (cashews, probably), pumpkin pie spice, agave and a pinch of salt. Then I poured it into a nut crust & froze it overnight. Not the gooey, dense pumpkin pie we were used to in the SAD world, but pretty good. Now I’m wondering how it would be with coconut oil…

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I dont eat potatoes either.With some recipes I replace the potato with Jicama or Jerusalem Artichokes. Would this work with Gnocchi?

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

POEMOMM – How sweet of you to consider taking requests.

This is my first fall/winter where I am going to try to eat super high raw – meaning 100% less additives like agave, braggs, etc. I feel like I need hot soups when it is cold out and I want to carry them in my thermos. I would like some ideas for soups that have hot spices in them to help warm me up.

PIANISSIMA – I posted a recipe for Pumpkin Mousse that is killer. I have served this several times to SAD eaters and they love it; however, it doesn’t have any pumpkin in it. No one that eats it ever believes that. The base is cashews and the texture is amazing. You may want to give it a try.

jicama and jerusalem artichokes wouldn’t be an appropriate sub – gnocchi is essentially a cooked starch, so what we’re trying to approximate would require those veggies to be cooked. Better to go with something else.

• Poemomm!

Request!

A couple summers ago a raw foods restaurant had a dish that was amazing! It tasted just like BBQ! I know a main ingredient was plantains. But I didnt know the sauce or anything. He said it was a Lebanese dish? He only served it that one day as a special and it hasnt been back since.

Any help lol?

okay all – I’ve posted the pumpkin pie recipe.

The brownies are in the dehydrator – nut free – as is the first of our soup offerings (‘chicken noodle’) – I’ve got the gnocchi recipe ready to post (tonight or tomorrow)

jkd…a lebanese barbeque dish? could you describe it more fully to me? How was the plantain prepared – in little spiced balls? Sliced? Was it sweet or bland? What kind of sauce was it? Tasted like american barbque? The more detail you can provide, the more diggin gI can do.

Naomi

angie, I’m going to give you a version of my pumpkin ravioli to make – give me a few days to get it together :)

Naomi

Wow, you are an angel Naomi!! Thanks so much for all this!!

Pumpkin ravioli!! OMG!!! My husband and I had pumpkin ravioli in the North End of Boston for our 10 year wedding anniversary last September…wow! I can’t wait to try your recipe :-D

Joyce – gnocchi’s been posted.

meditating—thanks! i’ll try that one too. =)

poemomm—the pumpkin pie recipe. very exciting!

Another REQUEST? i just thought tonight that it had been a while since i’d had a lemon poppy seed muffin. do you think this is a possibility? =)

• I need simple recipes for winter, some warming recipes with relatively cheap(er) ingredients.I have no dehydrator although I may be getting one soon. I feel like I need some sort of bread or crackr though, is there a way to do it without the proper tools(my oven temp on low is too high)? Any help is appreciated!

My herb garden just started thriving too so I have basil, mint, rosemary, lemon verbina and rue if you have any ideas that would incorporate those!!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Poemomm your recipes are backkkkkkkkkk!!! Can you post some seed-free-nut-free-and-grain-free recipes?

Halloween is comin’ up and raw candy is on the list for me!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I love Indian food. Any indian recipe would be much appreciated. I simply cannot WAIT to make your gnocchi! How beautiful.

I’ll get to work… :-)

seed-nut-grain-free – any idea what kind of recipes in particular? I’m assuming you don’t want more salad recipes,lol… give me some specific ideas, and I’ll pull something out of my sleeve.

I’m having problems uploading recipes. No idea what’s wrong. I can get the ingredient list to save, but the recipe won’t save or publish. I’ve been trying all day and it’s wearing on me. Until I can get that fixed…. I’m stuck. Anyone know what’s up?

• dodododo Raw Newbie

i had this problem the other day, you have to upload a photo with it regardelss of what it is. hope that helps. im looking for a food challenge for you myself ;)

• DreaDrea Raw Master

raw spanakopita by samesofam

I REALLY want to get this recipe right, it looks so delish, PLEASE HELP!

I made this the 1st time and it never fully dehydrated the crust stayed dark brown and “mushy”, but the edges were golden brown (and tasted great!) I left it in the dehydrator for 40 hours, and I blotted the oil off to help it along, but it never got to the golden flaky stage.

I made this a second time. This time I dehydrated the crust apart from the filling and the crust came out GREAT! But, when i put the filling on the inside and put it back in the dehydrator, it started to get mushy and dark brown again and would not get to the point where the crust was golden brown and flaky like the picture.

I really want to get this recipe right. I notice you stated that you was gonna try it, if your out there please tell me what you did and if it worked for you and if i can make it better.

http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/5382-raw-spanako…

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Thank you, dreasraw, for posting this question. The picture and list of ingredients looked delicious. But my results were the same as yours. I’m hoping someone can tell me what I did wrong. I dehydrated it in a Nesco for at least 36 hours, then ended up throwing it away.