Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Papaya seeds

I’ve read that the papaya seeds are good for eating, and can substitute pepper, because they are quite pepperish. You can either use them fresh, or dry them. Now, I wonder if any of you have any experience using the seeds – any recipes for example..? Also, what would be the best way to dry them? Would they need rinsing first?

Light and love.

Comments

• Whenever I eat a papaya I save the seeds to eat them later. On an herbalists advice I rinse them and put them in the sun to increase their potency. (If you dont rinse them, they ferment). I was eating 15 or 20 a day to get rid of a parasite I had before I was raw. Seemed to help. I still eat them.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

you had a parasite?? wow! thats not cool. How do you know if you have one or not??

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Wow humanimal, you look totally different, nice photo!

Some people say we all have parasites, but the only way to tell is to do a parasite sleanse and see what comes out of you!

• Hi, that is a good picture of you humanimal! Who would have known you have blue eyes! Did you know one of my recipes looked like the “old” you? I had an upper and lower endoscopy and other lab tests to see if I had a parasite or stomach ulcer but they turned up negative. That’s why I think there is a lot talk about things that may or may not be able to be verified. Not that I don’t think I could have one- that may be true, but the Dr.s didn’t see anything and couldn’t even verify gluten intolerance. The vegan people who say you need to get stuff out of your intestines or try to say everyone has candida really should send a camera up there and take tests or shouldn’t say that at all because I am totally clean but still have had serious pain in my stomach, or pancreas, and gastro problems. The only thing I’m sure of is that I have something- but the regular Dr.’s did everything they could. But raw has helped a lot I can tell. So I know my stomach problems have to do with the sad diet in some way even if I was vegetarian.

• i like eating the papaya seeds at the same time i eat the flesh. i cut the papaya like melon wedges and leave the seeds.. they are so pretty.. and the contrast between the black and the orange. i only partly chew them – so it’s not too spicy and roll them around the mouth like little marbles as i chew on the sweet flesh. this way i swallow some whole and they decorate my green fibery beautiful poop like black shiny pearls. perhaps a recipe with picture soon.

• Haha ofek, I will look forward to the recipe picture :-P They do look pretty dont’t they!? Like tiny balls of chocolate.

Nagev, how do you use them? Do you eat them whole, or do you make them into a powder and mix them in dips/dressings? Sundrying will be tried tomorrow ;-) But how do I know they are truly dry? How long will they need to be in the sun? (I live in Norway, so the sun is not like in for example Florida – I don’t know where you’re from though). Thanks for the tips!

• I definitely eat the seeds, usually at the same time as the flesh. The contrast between sweet and peppery/sharp is so yummy. I often scoop everything out to top a simple salad of leafy greens.

• Quite some job to rinse those seeds! I think they are quite dry now after a day out in the sun, and I think I will go for grinding them up in a mortar and use them as a “spice”.

• i like to make a salad with ripe papaya and leafy greens and onions and then make a dressing of half olive oil and half honey and all the seeds from the papaya, blended up real good. (i’ll put up a recipe next time i make it and take a picture) the seeds get really ground up, so you get an awesome peppery taste and the oil and honey make them more palatable (i cant just eat a spoonful by thenselves, way too intense)...
    but its wise to be careful with papaya seeds. they are a traditional worming treatment. and some folks say that they are a contraceptive. i googled papaya seeds and contraceptive and all i got was some tests done on male rats. whatever, use them with caution… i had a friend that ate them for contraceptive purposes and now she has a bubba and i was eating them like crazy, but stopped when someone told me the contraceptive thing, as i want to have another baby, but im still not pregnant, so who knows… i think i can safely say that the seeds are extremely cleansing, maybe even a little purging.
    if you want a real cleanse salad, put the seeds/oil/honey dressing on dandelion leaves for a very happy liver!

• IsisDCIsisDC Raw Newbie

I just bought a papaya, but it’s very unripe.

Do I ripen it by putting it in the sunlight or is it one of those ripen in the dark type fruits like banannas?

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

Papaya ripes anywhere,and it is good to eat the seeds for the colon and parasitas.

• I thought papaya seeds are toxic?