Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What do you think of the upcoming economic crisis?

Comments

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Branwyn32-I’m with you. Bush isn’t exactly into less government. I hate to call myself republican because I don’t care for what it stands for or the people who represent it. I personally don’t care for either candidate and am becoming more and more disapointed with Obama (cheap pick for VP, affiliations, etc). I don’t like McCain and never have but I at least trust him more than I do Obama.

You aren’t starting a fight. I’m really enjoying this discussion:) Thanks for not attacking me.

Oh and one more thing. I HATE all that “for the sake of national security” crap. BS! I don’t want anyone listening in on my phone calls! That is definitely not my idea of good government

• Sadly, trouble, I think this is the way America, and perhaps the world, is heading. Its been said time and time again, but Orwell was a profit. Although it quite didnt start in 1984, we can see many many many of his fears come to life in the past 10 years or so, especially since 9/11.

And that does back to this topic I guess. What do you think will happen in an economic collapse? Looting, rioting? Or will the government come down with the hammer, and truly turn our world in a 1984.

As was said above, this all could be manufactured. Although I had most of these thoughts before, the movie Zeitgeist opened my mind to how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Hmmm, it would be crazy. I guess what would happen is what always happens when there’s a collapse. People do whatever it takes to survive whether it’s by killer, stealing, or running.

If the government did hammer down I suppose it would probably be like 1984 except I perhaps more subtle. Less of the “2 minutes of hate” and “big brother is watching you” to a false mask of ‘everything is alright’

• Man, that 2 minutes of hate is one of the most intense parts of the book! Less of Big Brother is Watching You, even now is untrue, but they dont post posters up all over our cities stating that though :)

Yeah! I got freaked out when I read that part! It’s such a genius idea though. ha.

Okay, I guess my point about less of Big Brother is Watching you is that the government is probably going to do that in secret(the watching) and try to make you think things are okay. Do you know what I mean?

• KevlarKevlar Raw Newbie

Zeitgeist is what woke me up too, jkd.

I’ve been storing a lot of dried food, water and medicine, and I recommend you all do the same. Things are not looking good.

You’ll need weapons to protect your food and your family too, or to hunt, if it comes down to that.

At the very least, invest in a good knife, so you can make the things you need to survive.

Maybe I’m paranoid, but it doesn’t hurt to be prepared.

haha well you’re being smart even if it is paranoid:)

This summer I started a storage room for dried goods and I also got an upright freezer and have been working to fill it. My husband purchased a shotgun(more for home security than anything) and we invested in a fuel efficient car. As soon as our debt is paid off(which is going well and it should be soon) we’re going to start a serious savings.

I’m also increasing the size of my garden each year. Even if nothing happens it’s extremely cost efficient to do all this stuff anyway.

Yeah, I have a huge garden too.

I’m planting my fall crops right now.

Beans, kale, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, radishes, beets…

It’s great. :)

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Good morning young ones. I see we are at it again. I Think some study for us would be a good idea. Think the Gov’t wouldn’t take away our food supply? Read the history of our gold. What did Spock say? The good of the one, for the good of the many? Why does Americans think that our Nation would last forever? Read the history of other nations. How long did they stay on top of the wall? Humty Dumty will eventually fall. Think you are safe by owning land? Stop paying your taxes.

Up Coming Crises? Why, it has already started. We are just given short breathers. Then slamm another hit, but slowly, very slowly, we will be turning into a one world order. Have to. All the countries rely on one another. There may be one more big war, maybe not.There will be wars and rumors of wars. So I would say dont stress. Be well informed then do what you feel you should and can do. With wisdom, knowledge and determination. Not fear. Fear is a friend to no one.

• :) Im glad there are those of like minds on this board. I agree with Kevlar on everything. Not only dry goods, I have also be hording canned beans and fruit, and also have been dehydrating fruit like mad. I have about 30 days worth of water and food, with a bugout bag in case I need to escape out of the city and elsewhere. Plus a shotgun and very good survival knife :)

I dont call it paranoia Kevlar though, its just being prepared for whatever MAY come. Even if there is only a very small percentage of anything like this happening, I want to be able to provide for myself and survive that rely on the government for help.

Also, its very good to hoard food. What happens if you loose your job, out of money, and cant find a new one? You at least have enough food for a month or more :)

yeah, that’s another reason I am storing food. I mean, what if our heater breaks and there’s a big bill? I might as well have food stored in case we don’t have the money. It’s just being good stewards of what we have.

I also store canned goods because I figure if anything happens and I can’t soak things I can at least open a can and eat what in it. haha

True enough, and even if we had a flood, earthquake, hurricane, tornado, etc, it would pay off to be ready for it. I don’t think there’s any area of the country that’s immune to natural disasters, and we’ve all seen how good FEMA is at handling that (Katrina.) :-P

Oh yes, as long as we are vegans we dont have to worry about hunting for wild meat, but a few good books with colored pictures of “wild produce” would be nice to have on hand. Another good idea would be to learn how to grow Quinoa and grain amaranth. See what grows best in your area. Then learn how to thresh it. Even if you never needed to eat the grain, they are still beautiful plants. www.seedsofchange.com has variety of quinoa and amaranth seeds.

If you want to put money into stock, put it into companies that are advancing energy technology. This is only if you have money to play with.

Agreed, I’ve been learning all about wild edibles, but I’m worried that it might not be enough… There aren’t many fruit trees where I live, but there’s plenty of wild turkeys.

I’ve never picked up a gun in my life, but I’ll do whatever it takes to put food on the table.

Kevlar, I may ruffle some feathers, but why don’t you go to a rifle range and learn how to shoot a rifle. There is more than to pick up and shoot. I would rather someone shoot and know what they are doing, than shoot out of desperation. So now I am off of this section and on to house work. More into reality at the moment.

That’s exactly what I’m planning on doing, beany. Don’t worry. :)

I actually did learn how to use a shot gun for self defense so I’m prepared! Although as far as killing stuff goes I don’t know if I have it in me….maybe in desperation though. ha

• Agreed with Beany.

When I bought my shotgun and went to the range to test it out on some clay frisbees, I was amazed how unaccurate I was, while my brother-in-law hit about 50% of the time. I need practice haha.

• Kingdoms rise and Kingdoms fall. None of us can really project what will happen. Anything can happen. Things can turn around in their darkest hour and things can collapse at the pinnacle of victory. Of course, those are the exceptions, but the point is, as has been discussed by everyone here: is to BE PREPARED. We must do that!

The writing on the wall(street) is that things do not look good. There are more variables contributing to this to count or sort through.

For my family, we are thinking of ways to prepare and protect while remaining open-handed to those in need. In the end, it’ll all come out in the wash and happen as it will happen – we do the part we’re led to do, without getting riled up, anxious and worrying about that which we can do nothing about. The worst that can happen? We suffer and die, watch those we love suffer and die. That is a fear humanity has. But in facing that fear, doing what we can do to prevent it (again, without getting riled up and anxious), there’s no sense in being consumed by the fear anymore. : )

Carpe Diem. Life is quite beautiful. A gift in what you make of it. All I can do is pursue and pour my energies into positivity and love.

There are some very good thoughts on this thread. We’ve been discussing learning about wild edibles as well!

hmmm, thanks mamamilk. A good post.

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Goodness, there is much more concern here than I had originally thought. My other half and I were talking about this last night and I was telling him about this thread. He said he thought the media weren’t helping by hamming it up, making people panic and causing a knock on effect, so I kinda chilled out until I read all this.

Guns and things?

Maybe its because I dont live in the States but wow, you guys have been preparing big time. Loads more than I had thought to, or maybe I’ve been happily plodding along with my head in the sand, I dont know?

Ironically though, just because guns are illegal here I know that doesnt mean theyre not around. There have been so many stabbings lately too, I know that’s a huge problem & its very scary. People just walk on by if someone is getting hassled for fear of being stabbed. My boss saw someone asking some kids (aged 12-15ish)to lay off a girl on the tube the other day (they were jeering & stuff, but he asked politely) next thing you know they all pounced on the guy, he said it was quite funny as he was a huge Kiwi so it was like he was picking off bugs. Anyway, the kids legged it when they pulled into the next station and the girl said [to big Kiwi] “what’s that?” and pointed to something on his shirt – He’d been stabbed but hadnt even noticed until then.

Off topic though really I guess but..

Is everything that bad, how scary.

Nice philosophical post mamamilk, I hope it doesnt come to the worst, anyone else think the media are making it worse..??

Buy a bow and arrow, clr. ;-)

I don’t know how bad things are in the UK (I haven’t been following it very closely) but I know that what affects us, affects you, and vica versa.

The mainstream media is controlled by the government/corporations, and I think they’re really hyping this up because it’s designed to happen. If the economy collapses and we go into a depression, they’ll have an excuse to take even more of our freedoms away.

Some have even said that Bush will cancel the election and declare martial law (he has the power to do this by executive order.)

Kelvar-that’s very over the top. A president couldn’t get away with that now. But I’m guessing within a few years they might. Especially if Obama is actually a bad guy. He can woo people with his words very easily.

Anyway, crl, I’d say just stock up in case. Things are bad and may not get horrid but it’s just safe. Here the food prices have more than doubled on alot of things within this year alone.

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

The panic here started when you guys first had problems, what effects you does effect us, its all tied up together and I think our government is sat in your governments pocket. Well, they say Blair was Bush’s lapdog anyway..

Maybe I’ll be best off with a cross-bow… I think you go down even if caught with a penknife :o)

I guess reality is that they report what they’re told so.. What you say about the media makes sense.

There’s lots reported on food prices here, time to check out for multi-buy bargains then hey.

BTW – can I check, what’s martial law?

Martial law is when the constitution is suspended, and all operations of the country are taken over by the military.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_law

Making it worse? No. This has been brewing since 1960’s. The back to the landers knew about Govt. financial problems, fuel coming crises,food and water depletion. Green House warming. Something could have done about most of it, but nothing. Now it is here. To late to go back to the land.So the second best is to just think what is the most probable thing that will happen and remember no matter what you choose to do will probably be permanent.

Media is a problem, but they don’t change the weather, pollute the water, shut business, or lay off thousands of people.

• Troublesjustabubble – I feel bad that I disagree so thoroughly with you on important matters, because you look like a sweet girl and I think we would probably like each other if working together or knowing each other in some other facet of life. And I don’t want you to feel picked on – I hate feeling picked on. But I do want to press you, if you’re open to it, on why you make statements like: Palin is at least more experienced than Obama and – the real kicker ‘A president couldn’t get away with that now. But I’m guessing within a few years they might. Especially if Obama is actually a bad guy. He can woo people with his words very easily.’ To the first point – how do you see Palin as more experienced than Obama? Obama is a senator, he has met with world leaders and they showed him respect, before that, he was a state senator, before that, a Constitutional Law Professor – in other words, an expert in the foundation of our government – at a top law school, before that, a community organizer who made real changes. I know that we get our news from very different sources, but I want to urge you to argue facts, not media soundbites. As to the second statement, I think it is so very scary in its implications. Why is Obama scary? Since when is a self-made, respected, highly educated, historic, and beautifully-spoken orator scary? Please tell me what in his hisotry would make you think he’d take over our country under marial law!? What is it about this man that you fear? Please give me the facts behind this opinion. Please explain “espcially if Obama is ACTUALLY a bad guy.” This guy has been vetted – people know him. He is -and I would think this would mean something to you – a Christian. What makes you think he is “actually” bad? His otherness?? You hold it against him that he’s a good speaker? He’s going to Woo people with his words? What do you mean? I really just want to understand. I can see why poeple would disagree with democratic principles – that’s fine, that’s valid. But why case this man as some kind of carnival mind-controller who is here to hurt you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIum0o-_LZk

Skip to 1:44 if you don’t feel like hearing the JFK speech.

• Kevlar, is your post a response to my questions asking why Obama is scary compared to the Republican alternatives? If so, I do not think it is on point (though I did enjoy watching the video). I generally consider myself to be a Libertarian. In 2000, I voted for the Independent (Green) candidate for President, a mistake – as I was registered in Florida at the time and therefore helped hand the election to Bush. I admire Ron Paul – despite disagreeing with him on pro-choice laws. I think he is intelligent and far more of a maverick than McCain, the man confusingly chosen to wear that label. I think the two party system is deeply flawed. Politics as they are force candidates to make major compromises to be electable – and Obama has made such compromises, just as every other modern politician with a shot at the presidency has. I think that some of Obama’s rhetoric comes from this pressure from supporters to refute the critics’ attacks that he’s soft on defense issues. Remember, Obama, like Ron Paul, voted against Iraq. Obama, like Ron Paul, was for the military action in Afghanistan. In the clip you sent, Obama says that he will go into Pakistan if it is necessary. This is worlds apart from what the current administration did with Iraq. Also, at the expense of repeating myself, I was there through 9/11. I held my boyfriend as he cried for his father who died because he went to work. I was living in Israel during the First Intifada, running down to a bomb shelter with my cousins, in gas masks. I have pretty strong feelings on Islamic terrorism and our need to defend ourselves. I think it’s wonderful that you live in a country where you have the right to disbelieve this threat and to instead openly post messages accusing our country of attacking our own citizens. I don’t agree with you, but I’m more than willing to accept your right to say it and not end up in prison for it. However, I think it is playing ostrich to pretend that fundamentalist islam is not a threat to the western world. Look at all of the attacks over the past few years – Spain, Bali. Were they faked as well? Islam is meant to be a religion of peace and it has been bastardized by a relative few. But those few are dangerous and they believe that we are their enemy. I am all for a candidate who will protect us from that threat. I am against a government that will use that threat as an excuse to enter other countries that do not pose this threat against us. Hussein and his sons were evil spawn who deserved horrible deaths and punishments, but it was wrong to lie to this country – the citizens and soldiers – about the evidence justifying the current war. I am against this kind of deception, but I am not against all war. Sometimes life is a battle, and you can defend yourself or die. I want to defend myself – but only if the battle truly calls for it. And those of you who disagree with me and simultaneously post about how you have purchased guns to defend yourselves and your kale crops need to seriously examine your positions for hypocrisy or other inconsistencies.