Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

soaking oat groats

What’s the trick to this? I have tried to soak them twice and they taste awful. I don’t know if its the groats i bought or what? it’s my first time The last time i tried i soaked for a lil over 24 hours and then dried out and stuck them in the fridge and ate them. NASTY! are they all nasty like that?

Comments

• evergreenevergreen Raw Master

hi!..you may find these instructions for sprouting oats helpful:)

• Thanks I printed that out for next time. Have you ever had them taste nasty before?

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I had them taste nasty the first time because I soaked them to long and they went sour. It was gross

• evergreenevergreen Raw Master

you’re welcome:)..i have never soaked them longer than 8 hours. (only 1 hour if i am sprouting them) i buy them at the co-op in bulk so i have not had any funky ones:)recently people here mentioned they buy raw oats at feed stores:)

• oops well i ate them nasty and all with raw honey.. i hope i dont get sick..LOL So only 8 hours huh? I bought these from an organic farm in miami. Almost everything I bought from them didn’t taste good though..hmmm. Even the blue agave nectar tasted like metal i had to throw it all away

• RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

Oh yeah, I know exactly what you are talking about. The first time I bought oat groats, I soaked them overnight and ate them in the morning, and they were God awful! They burned my throat and had a sickening, musty, old, taste. YUCK! Well, for a while, I thought that’s how they really tasted, until I went to a different store and got their oat groats. They were just perfect. Tasted just like rolled oats, with a different texture. So, I found out the other ones I bought were rancid. And I checked that store, and some bugs were living in the bin! AHH! So, if they taste bad, they are bad, but fear not, good oat groats exist!

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

To those considering buying grains at a feed store. These grain are really not for human consumption. You will find more bugs, bird and rodent do-do, hair and many other things in the sacks. There is a reason these animal grains are cheaper, than grains for humans.

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

beany - perhaps that would make it a good b-12 source... ;-)

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Also remember to rinse these often, even when soaking. And be sure to rinse at the end of soaking as well!

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I read somewhere that if you want to eat oat groats as porridge for breakfast, the best thing to do is rinse them well the night before, then put them in a bowl with cold filtered water to cover and place in the refrigerator overnight. As long as the groats aren't rancid, they should soften slowly, without getting nasty. I haven't tried this yet, but I plan to. What I'd like to know is whether the oats become soft enough to resemble porridge. I really don't want to eat a bowl of crunchy or really chewy oat groats.

• barbaradsbarbarads Raw Newbie

UPDATE: http://www.sproutpeople.com/seed/oats.html

This link posted is for HULLESS OATS and these are the only ones that will actually sprout. They are grown without hulls, as opposed to regular oats. Oat groats are oats that have been machine hulled which breaks them, and in essence, kills them, so they cannot sprout. I just ordered a bunch of these, can't wait to try them. They are much more tender since they don't have the hull...and require little soaking time. If you use oat groats from the store, they are not alive...you can still use them, but just be aware they probably won't sprout.

Happy New Year

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

Thanks for posting details of this website. I have been looking for something like this for a while. Shipping to the UK is expensive though! If there are any UK raw food retailers reading this, are you able to obtain supplies for us UK raw foodies??