farro? Has anyone sprouted this Italian grain?

lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Has anyone ever sprouted this successfully? Where do i get it?

Comments

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

I’ve never sprouted farro, but I’ve seen it at Whole Foods. It’s not in the bulk section, but in the grains section. :)

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Is it related to wheat? If you know this, you will know about sprouting it. Should be interesting to try.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

One description has it as a close relative to Spelt, but my client who told me about it says it is not a wheat. Everything i’ve found on-line says it is like Spelt so that would make it a wheat.

• evergreenevergreen Raw Master

hi Izhpt…i did see a bag of farro at the co-op, in a small import section. it looked exactly like spelt, and then i found www.farro.com

this looks like the one i saw in the store

also www.urbanherbsonline.com sells it under assorted grain:)

both these sites make it sound like farro is spelt:)let us know if you find out for sure:)

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Farro is more ancient than spelt. It’s one of those truly heirloom grains, and I’ve read that it’s pretty popular in Italy and Germany. It’s supposed to be more digestible than most other grains. A lady at the farmer’s market told me it’s the only grain that is 100% digestible.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

OK so who’s willing to be the guinnea pig and sprout it first? I can’t find a single word about sprouting this. It’s not terribly important. My client thought it was a delicious grain and wanted me to try it, but i want to eat it raw. It doesn’t matter how many times I tell her I only eat living foods…she is just so insulted.

• I bought some of this grain at the farmer’s market recently…it was sold under the name “emmer” which apparently is synonymous with farro (so I’ve read). The lady selling it touted it as being able to pull heavy metals out of the body, pull gluten out of the body, heal candida, along with other things. Looking back the claims seem a little far-fetched and I must have been pretty gullible that day…anyway…. She said that it is the only grain except for barley that will ferment and that it will never grow mold?? She was selling bread that she claimed was raw because it had not been baked and I assume she made it by sprouting and grinding the grain. I am planning to use this pretty soon when the weather cools down here and I feel safer leaving something out to ferment on the counter. I will sprout and then grind it, along with some water and olive oil (from my online research I learned that oil is necessary for activating the fermentation process or something like that).

My only concern is that I was told that this grain was gluten-free, although when I got home and researched it the gluten-free status is questionable as it is a form of wheat. However, it is a very ancient form and apparently due to the lack of hybridization it may not contain gluten? I am still wondering about that, and that is another reason that I am holding off on using it at the moment. I am very gluten sensitive and hate to take the chance…

• did you get your emmer from the farmers market in Green Valley, AZ? My grandpa's been going over there to get bread and the grain from a lady that sells emmer....

My mom said that she has the same concern about the gulten-free issue...