Hemochromatosis?

Hi all - Next weekend I am preparing a brunch for a good friend who suffers from Hemochromatosis (the body absorbs too much iron). She has to be very very careful about what she eats and the iron content. Im thrilled to have the opportunity to introduce her to some raw foods – i think she could really benefit, but Im a little concerned about picking the right recipes. I know Almonds, Grapes, Raisins etc.. are high in iron – but im not sure about other foods. Im doing a fair amount of research so i dont jeopordize her health, but does anyone have any experience with Hemochromatosis and Raw foods? can anyone recommend some ‘safe’ recipes?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Odessa7, I wish I could be more help as far as recipes go…I would suggest asking your friend of specific foods that are “safe” and then let your creative juices flow as you create your own recipes for a fabulous brunch!

• Hi odessa7,

I have Hemochromatosis and have to watch what I eat as well. Non heme iron (veges) is not absorbed as quickly as Heme iron (meat) is, so I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Almond skins (soaked) are actually high in tannins, which reduces the absorption of iron. Pomegranates, strawberries and blueberries also contain tannins so as long as you include some type of tannin in the meal, it will reduce the iron absorption of anything else that may be high in iron, such as raisins.

• Thanks Spirited and Stacie. I have high hopes for a succesful brunch!