mold from nuts?

DreaDrea Raw Master

I read somewhere that if you eat to many nuts, mold will develop in your blood, is this true? I eat allot of nuts and seeds and personally I was under the impression that nuts are just large seeds!

Comments

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

I’ve never heard of that. I know fruit, esp. too much sweet fruit like dates, can facilitate the process of fermentation in your body if you overdo it.

As long as you soak your nuts, I believe you should be fine. You do have to watch out for walnuts, which tend to have more mold. I’m not sure why this is so. It could have to do with all the nooks and crannies in the nut. Also, pistachios tend to be pretty moldy, so it’s a good idea to soak these and limit your consumption.

I also soak all the nuts I get at the co-op, since they’re not as fresh, regardless of whether they are high oil content nuts or not. :)

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

If nuts are out of the shell I rinse well before I soak them. Then rinse well after they are soaked. I do the same thing with grains and the larger seeds.

I have read that most nuts, grain, seeds and legumes will have a mold or fungus on them. This is basically due to storage. You will also read that produce may have mold and fungus on it. The point is to properly take care of the produce and dried foods that we buy. Then everything will be squeaky clean within.

• I’ve read that mold usually forms on nuts while they are growing, but prior to export they undergo strict procedures to make sure they are clear of it. U can check out this link for more information on that http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/oct06/nut… However, some nuts are acid forming, which throws your alkalinity off unless u consume some alkaline base (bicarbonate) forming foods to balance it out; and as we know, mold thrives in acidic environment and cannot survive in an alkaline body. Those nuts are: walnuts, pecans, peanuts and cashews (which are not raw to begin with). :)

• tatiana- I think I’ve discovered some truly raw cashews! I got them from Trader Joe’s and they actually sprouted. I only let them soak for about 2 hours too!

• Quiora, thank you I’ll check them out, i do crave some occasionally, but stil want to avoid them because of that acid forming stuff i mentioned before.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

dreasaw: I’m glad someone above mentioned peanuts. They do have aflatoxin, a known carcinogen which promotes fermentation in the body, but if you order jungle peanuts, you’re much better off, since they’re aflatoxin free. Jungle peanuts do have a different flavor that might take some getting used to.

• DreaDrea Raw Master

Thanks everyone, i feel a little easy now! achin70, i dont eat peanuts at all, but thanks for the info on that for future reference. Quiora is trader joes online? Im interested in those cashew nuts!

• rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

Trader Joes only sells in the stores. They have great raw cashews, almonds, pignolias, etc. If we could only find a way to get them to you.