Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Potter Fans?

2»

Comments

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Yeah, I love Lord Of the Rings.

Okay, gotta say, I really really liked the actor who played Sirius. He’s exactly what I imagined.

• drgonflydrgonfly Raw Newbie

dreaminraw, that’s how I read them. Especially before a movie comes out I’ll go thru the whole series again up to the book that’s out. Yes, I loved LOTR soundtrack too. I have the cd’s.

• I love to watch all the extra stuff about making LOTR. It is so inspiring. It’s amazing how much those gays did put into it, how much did they care for what they did.

• I agree grsshopper. It is very inspiring. I hear they are making the hobbit into a movie now. Peter Jackson won’t be directing, from what I understand, bc of some drama with the studio. But I think someone told me he’‘l be producing it. troubles I agree about Sirius. That actor is Gary Oldman. He’s absolutely amazing, and a chameleon in every role. I love him. He was also in the two newest Batman movie (Gordon) in the fifth element and a bunch of other awesome movies I can’t think of right now.

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Gary Oldman is great – Loved him in Leon as well as many of the other’s you’ve mentioned.. I just pictured sirius differently I guess, but I get used to it.

I DEFINITELY prefer Richard Harris as Dumbledore though, he was so fantastic may he RIP, the new guy, cant remember his name – I get the impression sometimes that he hasnt even read the books, he shouts and things, and in my mind, Dumbledore is softly spoken and wise & doesnt shout..

Dreaminraw over & over & over, oh yeah me too, I’ve got the audio books on my ipod too & listen to them on the train on my hour journey, fall asleep alot, but they’re so lovely and comforting

I like the newer Dumbledore better because he conveys emotion(even if he does get a bit more passionate) in that he can be caring and encouraging and also stern and wise. The other guy was a little old and couldn’t use his voice to do any inflection. That always bothered me.

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Both actors are great (well RH was great). Both of them played interesting roles over the years, but I believe that Richard Harris had a better grasp of the character too. Soft spoken and wise was how I saw him as well. Although perhaps at times he could have inflected his voice a bit more.
    Sadly, Harris died right after making the second Potter film. (oops, sorry – duh, you knew that about his passing)...

One of the RH bits I liked where he command attention in the way I always thought Dumblebore would, was where the troll came in in Philosophers Stone.

Though, to be fair, I dont think there are as many original Dumbledore lines in the screenplays of the later films, they seem to be tweaked a little (maybe reading the books so much makes me notice weird things!).

I didnt read the 1st one until after I saw the 1st film, so that meant that how I imagined the main characters was heavily influenced by the actors, I guess that’s where my original Dumbledore preference came from. Was great actually, I was cabin crew at the time and book 4 was out by then, so before I went away on a 9 day trip I was on book 2, when I came back I had vertually finished book 4! Was great be able to go straight to the next one, no waiting! Up till then anyway!

• YOu know when I first saw Gary Oldman would be playing serious I wasn’t sure about it either because I had pictured Sirius differently. But he convinced me. That’s the great thing about him. So genuine in everything Ive seen. But I always pictured Dumbledore as being very soft spoken as well. I don’t really watch the movies for congruency with the books tho. Cause I know then I’ll just be more dissapointed. I find that I like the ones since they’ve changed directors more. I enjoy the fact that a lot of the screenplays lines aren’t taken directly from the books because I had that problem with the first two movies where I could sit and watch them and mouth the words lol. Kinda boring. I really don’t care for the them when I compare them to the original. But they can stand alone for someone whos never read the series. And they work for someone who has, argueably, read them too many times. I appreciate the new directors attempts to put his own spin on it. Small things like in the OOTP when Ginny is walking behind harry and hermione and hermione mentions that cho couldn’t take her eyes off harry and ginny looks kinda of upset. I think that if you are going to take a piece of art from one medium to another you can’t try to copy it directly. They’re different mediums and it feels awkward to try to. lol. But I tend to be a very annalytical and emotional person. ANd I babble. Alot.

• oh, I just remembered a little story; thought I’d share. Last year, right before the last HP book came out, I started a new job. I was told that the maintenance man there (who’d been there for decades) had terminal cancer. He was waiting for the last Harry Potter book; he made it and was able to read the last journey before he set out for his next journey.

littlegems thats such a lovely story.. Very sad.

Dreaminraw you know, you’re right about the small things, I guess I dont always appreciate them.. There’s a bit in the OOTP in the DA lessons when Ginny is in between the other Weasleys and blasts that dummy thing… Its so funny as she’s the smallest one in the middle and the others all look around really sheepish..

I love all the stuff with DA lessons. That’s one of my favorite parts of all the books.

as dreaminraw stated ~ comparing the books to the movies can sometimes lead to disappointment… I believe they could have done a better job in film #5 in the end when the DA was fighting in Ministry…
    I wanted to see them do the scene with the brains (in the department of mystery)...and Ron being loopy.
    Also deleted was Hermione getting hit by a curse of a purple flame across her chest
    And the defensive spells the DA used in the book went well beyond just yelling “stupify” every 2 seconds.
    Yep, the film version of that scene was definitely a let down.

well perhaps but I tend to fill in all the gaps of the movie with the book so in the end after I watch it I mostly just remember everything in the book as a part of the movie. They were close enough on the movies that it was easy. With movies like Lord of the Rings I sort of just separate the two and don’t think of them as the same. Granted, I love the movies but story wise they had to cut out alot.

• Hi! I just found this thread, and I am a huge Potter fan also. When the last book came out I was at a family renunion in another state and I search all day for a book store that was having a midnight release party and dragged my husband along.

I see what you mean tjb... it just would have been fun to see how they would have portrayed things visually. With most films I prefer substance over flash, but with fantasy films it’s interesting to see how the special effects crew handles things…
    For example in the 4th film when they had Sirius talking from the fire – it really looked like his head was in the fireplace and he was speaking through the ash & soot, but when they had him speaking from the fireplace in film #5 it was done differently, more 2-dimensionally, and not as good.
    Maybe the first way was more expensive or something, but the technique made for better film style and if I were JK Rowling I’d probably prefer it.
    PS: It’s no big deal really… it’s all quite creative… it’s just interesting to see the differences.

oh I totally noticed the fire difference! I like the 3-D one much better too.

I do enjoy the all out in fantasy films myself. The hard part with book movies is time I guess. They probably just couldn’t do so much without making the movies to long.

It would be hard as an author to see your books be made into movies. I’d want everything in there. haha.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Now that this has come up, are there any Avatar: The Last Airbender fans out there? Not as popular but an amazing kids show on Nick that’s admired by adults too.

The fire thing – I noticed it too!

Oddly though, I had pictured it as the actual head would be sitting in the fire, from the description in the books.. There’s a bit where Molly Weasley puts a piece of toast in [I think it’s] Amos Diggery’s(?) mouth, in the fireplace in the burrow. So therefore I imagined their heads, plop, in the middle of the fire! But I did prefer the 1st one you’re referring to.

I was so looking forward to Ron and the brains scene too. I guess as everyone’s said, you just cant expect them to be the same as the books. I think that’s where I dissapoint myself.

That said, I do things like read the book before the film comes out to remind me what’s happened. Its bound to be more dissapointing with the book fresh in your mind isnt it.

I like the Thestrals in the OOTP though, they were really like I had imagined, I would have like to have seen their ‘Rocketing upwards’ thing though.

I also liked Luna, thought she was really well cast.

TomsMom you mentioned a HP gift? Sounds great – Wanna share? (ideas for the xmas list!)

I got my brothers family, who all read the books, a HP dvd game for xmas last year, it was about the films as well as info from the books, so it has film clips and questions etc, it was so cool, we played it as soon as they opened it..!