Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

too many bananas?

2»

Comments

• Just had 15+ bananas today: half for lunch, half for dinner, plus some grapes before that for breakfast. Bananas rock, even though they're hybridized. My current favorite is bananas coarsely mashed into pudding, with some dates thrown in, and a maybe a cuke.

• rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

Are organic bananas also Hybridized? I thought that if they were organic they needed to be in thier original state...? but then I think about the organic grapes without seeds that are everywhere...

(by the way this forum opened my banana cravings. I just had a sliced banana with schreded coconut, some orange juice and a few raisins...o my god it is soooo good!)

• beanbean Raw Newbie

That's a really good point, durianrider- how could a fruit be a worse sweet thing to eat than something like agave or honey? At least it's in its natural, fiber-filled form! It's too bad when you can't trust advice from people who stand to profit by convincing you of what they say.

I'm curious, where do you live that you have access to so much fresh, organic fruit? I saw one of your videos on youtube, and it looked like you were somewhere tropical. I'm jealous, haha

• internettouristinternettourist Raw Newbie

I eat two to four a day, haven't had any constipation problems (I don't eat them green).

My skin has improved since I increased banana consumption. Lately, I have been thinking that I reduced tomato consumption at the time I increased banana consumption. The skin improvement could be as a result of decreasing my eating of a night shade. From now on, I may just not eat tomatoes. I'd eat at least a whole tomato at a time.

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

I eat at least 2 bananas a day - one is usually in a green smoothie. They're great sources of non-fat laden calories, and they're full of energy. One thing I heard and have adopted is "never eat naked carbs" - don't eat carbs without fat or fiber to help your body digest them, so when I eat a banana I either have nuts or something with oils in it, or like in my green smoothie it's blended with TONS of fiber!

I love to eat the blueberry and banana breakfast from this site... I'll search for it and post the link in a few minutes.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

After eating bananas for 3 yrs on 8/1/1 I dont want to even smell a banana! I found out the hard way!? Excessive hyrbid fruit rots your teeth. My teeth were literally becoming transparent! Not cool. My dentist would always ask me what the hell I was eating. lol I saty away fro hybrids now and stick with seeded fruits. The real stuff! :)

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

Oh no! this guy is on here too??!! I cant see to escape this guy. Beware the fruit humper people! Sorry people a little crude humor never hurt.They are just words after all ;)

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I go through phases with bananas.. sometimes I'll eat two or three a day.. then I won't eat any for a four or five days. I love them though, they really are my favorite fruit. I find in the winter I'm eating much less fruit in general than in the warmer months.. in fact some days it's just a piece or two whereas in the summer it's five or six

• I love bananas. If I could fit more in my stomach I would. They help me keep up with my bicycle commuting. I put one in my morning shake along with with a half cup of frozen blueberries, half an orange, and 1/4 cup spinach and 1/4 cup kale. Yum. Then I have another :) I usually eat them pretty ripe and have never had any problems.

• bananaboybananaboy Raw Superstar

KhaasLadki said...

"never eat naked carbs - don't eat carbs without fat or fiber to help your body digest them, so when I eat a banana I either have nuts or something with oils in it"

Where did you hear this? Do you realise that a banana is 3% fat and has 3 grams of fibre? In fact eating any fruit with fats like nuts or oils only hinders digestion. Learn the basics of food combining before making rediculous statements like that.

"Naked Carbs"....LOL

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

humanimal - just curious: have your teeth improved any since they became transparent, or is it a permanent thing?

• Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

I like bananas and find them so much more satisfying than anything else. Apparently all fruits and vegetables have been hybridized, either through natural or man-made processes. Also bananas have about the same amount of sugar or slightly less than grapes and watermelon.

I will keep an eye on my teeth, but wonder if eating sufficient greens might be the balance for that.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Raw Curls - I drool over those persimmons every time you post. :) I was wondering the same thing about greens building teeth.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i have been much more into pears lately than bananas. why are all the bananas so green at the store? they go bad before they get ripe. ick.

• I love them too, but I figure if I can't grow a banana tree in my backyard, they might not be the best for me. I use them mostly when I won't be home for awhile.

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Just a note on the 'hybrid fruit' thing- most fruit today is hybrid. Oranges are hybrid. Grapefruit. Avocados. Original fruit is a much better idea- but tough to maintain.

And I find that eating a lot of bananas makes me feel unbalanced, and frozen ones make my stomach swell up, which I was told is 'dampness' by a chinese medicine practitioner, and I think it's how they call mold.

• For everyone that keeps complaining about certain fruits being hybridized: All fruit is hybridized! If you don't think since humans started growing fruits for themselves that each generation chose their favorite plants and planted those, weeding out the inferior phenotypes, then you're crazy. That's what hybridization is, selectively choosing the phenotypes with desired characteristics, breeding those phenotypes together, and getting rid of the plants with less desirable phenotypes. This will bring out the desired genetics a tiny bit more each generation, ultimately leading to a plant with a significantly higher amount of the desired characteristics than the original. In the case of the banana - sweetness. I would be much more worried about seedless fruits, as this implies to me that some other chemical or genetic(as in GMO) process has been involved to cause the fruits to grow without their reproductive parts. Unfortunately, the bananas, oranges, and grapes available to me have less and less seeds every year. I've always preferred the flavor of fruit with more seeds(has more nutrition too).

KhaasLadki, that's horrible advice to only eat them with oil, I hope people don't take it.

Durianrider, that's a great point about people saying bananas are too high in sugar while they're selling sweeteners like agave and yacon syrup. Also, I wish you elaborated more on your second comment because I can't tell you how valuable it was for me to learn that my body will crave cooked carbohydrates until I start to give it enough raw carbohydrates from fruit. Which for me is a massive amount of fruit. I truly can't tell you how valuable that simple fact was.

• I love the way durianrider comments, he is so right!! Damn everything else eat more bananas!!!

• teacupteacup Raw Newbie

someone mentioned they switched from bananas to plantains? are you eating them when they're completely black?

I always believed you couldn't eat a plantain raw because they were a starch, like a potato.

• Bananas are very heavy for me, so I don't eat them too often.

They are high in sugar and carbs, which not necessarily a bad thing if you eat banana as your source of carb. If your already getting your full of carbs for the day though (i.e. raw bread, potato, lots of fruits ect) you might want to cut down your intake.

But really, they're very healthy and if you feel okay eating them theres no reason to cut them down.