Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Soccer Snack

Just wanted to share my excitement.

Tomorrow is my 6 year old’s soccer game, and I’m in charge of snack. It’s going to rock too! I just made a batch of banana fruit leather, blueberry banana fruit leather, sliced chunky then dehydrated banana fingers, I have a bag of raisins so I’ll have some of those out too.

the super cool part is that I found a children’s meal plate from Disneyland… in the shape of a mickey mouse head. So I’ll the fruit leathers, raisins, banana fingers, and raw chocolate all in those little sections.

the chocolate is a bit naughty, with agave to sweeten it, rich and decadent coconut butter, raw cacao powder. Half of the batch also has dehydrated buckwheat to add some crunch.

I’ll also have a bunch of oranges sliced but with the peel on; like kids like it.

I hope they all like it as much I do.

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

WOW!!! YOU are a wonderful soccermom, your son is so lucky!!! The snacks sound lovely and delicious, you have over done yourself!!!

One word of caution, prepare yourself for some of those little darlings to turn up their noses… However, if they see your son and some of the others enjoying, then maybe they will also enjoy… I know I sure hope they do, as you have put a lot of time and effort into those snacks!!! Not to mention money!!!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i wish i was in that soccer team! bananas and chocolate should be a winner.

• Thanks Bitt and Waterbaby12347!

waterbaby12347 – my daughter loves the fruit leathers, and I’ve tried them with her good friend who is a picky eater, and she liked it and asked for more. I like using bananas because they are pretty cheap here in Cali at $.29/lb at Trader Joe’s.

If nothing else, they’ll like the oranges, again Trader Joe’s for $4/bag of organic oranges. :)

We are supposed to bring a fruit for half time, and a healthy treat for after the game. First week was watermelon and grapes, and then popsicles for the treat. Last week it was organic grapes at half-time, and store bought /processed fruit leathers for the snack.

So this isn’t too far off from the others… just no wasteful wrappers, no extra processed ingredients, and totally raw.

I’ll post back tomorrow and let you know how they receive it.

• It was a hit!!!! :)

Firs the orange slices at half time were devoured… kids kept coming back for more and more. They liked to have the peel over their teeth, and they enjoyed it.

Then, the after game snack was great. Some of the kids didn’t want to try the fruit leathers, but they could eat the raisins, and some of them liked the banana chunks, and everyone loved the chocolate… none of the chocolate made it home. The kids who did try the fruit leathers and liked them, and they kept coming back for more and more and more. :)

It was so well received; I feel so glad that I went to that trouble to prepare it. And the left over fruit leathers are ready for next week’s school lunches :)

• We brought apples and sliced them up for our snack turn. And we always bring snacks for our daughter because the things people bring for the kids as snacks …

• I feel like making some sports reference and saying “GOAL!!!!!” or “SCORRRREEEE!!!” Not sure which is used in soccer. Seriously though, another point for raw! Good job.

• apple slices are great… but my daughter won’t eat them after they start oxidizing and turn brown… so I don’t like to bring sliced apples anywhere!

I let my daughter eat whatever, as long as she’s not allergic to it, and usually she ends up not liking the overly processed extra sugary stuff anyway. But I don’t want her to feel left out all the time, and so different from her friends. I let her try a donut this year when it was brought to her drama class… she didn’t like it. She said it was too sweet.

• ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

littlegems, put lemon juice on the sliced apples and they will stay white for a long time.

• yes, they’ll stay white with lemon juice… but then taste like lemon! we’ve tried it; but like I said, I have a very picky eater! :)

• ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

What a bummer.

My picky eater will only eat them with lemon juice. Unfortunately, his Grandmama skinned the slices for him once and now they have to be skinned each time.

• dodododo Raw Newbie

wow that sounds like an amazing feast, makes me wish i was a six year old soccer player :D

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

We rub oranges or pineapples on our apple slices because they taste sweeter :) and sometimes run our apples thru our saladaco so they are thick spiral pieces instead of chunks…easy as a snack at home, but tougher for travel :)

Great idea on the fruit leathers! I’ll do that next time…I did snack for the past hockey game and I made skewers with organic grapes, strawberries and pineapple chunks…same thing, everybody wanted double the amount and more!

What recipes did you use for your fruit leathers?

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

This warmed my heart. It’s beautiful that you’d spend all that time carefully preparing fruit leather and raw chocolate for the group.

• ah, thanks Winona and Dodo! :) Rawmama, I didn’t have a recipe for fruit leathers, I just kind of tried out some ideas. I like to use banana because of the consistency. My daughter prefers just plain banana, literally I blend up 3 bananas and spread it out on a teflex sheet and dehydrate at 108 degrees for about 6-8 hours (till dry). It just peels off and I tear off little strips.

I personally loved a version with strawberries blended in with the bananas, but the seeds bugged my daughter… but I loved the taste it it. So for the soccer snack I tried blending in blueberries and banana, and they turned out great too!

I’ll try rubbing some orange on the apple slices and see if that helps keep them from turning brown and tasting good.

:)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

after blending strawberries, strain through a nutmilk bag to remove the seeds. It works for my pies!