Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Non-plastic blenders?

Hi everyone. Does anyone know if there is a high-speed blender available that has either a glass or stainless steel pitcher? I’ve become a plasticphobe lately and I know that the Vitamix has a plastic pitcher. I have a KitchenAid blender with a glass pitcher but it can’t make a green smoothie to save its life, lol. Slow as molasses. I bought it before I went raw so it was good enough for other uses. Also, just how liquified do the Vitamix and Blendtec blenders get greens like kale? I can’t imagine kale ever being any smoother than a berber rug. Thanks!

Comments

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

There were several threads on this topic earlier in the year. Without the search feature on Forums I can’t find all of them. From my Profile I was able to locate two. This one compares the BlendTec and VitaMix.. This one is mainly about VItaMix. Before blending kale in my VitaMix I remove the center vein, and the results are absolutely smooth and well blended – no berber rug texture.

Quoting Stevio regarding polycarbonate, “Since most of the breakdown of the polycarbonate has been a result of high temp dishwashing and harsh detergents, just keep the pitcher out of the dishwasher and you’ll probably fine.” VitaMix does NOT recommend placing their carafe in the dishwasher.

High speed blenders do not come with glass carafes, because in the unlikely event that you dropped a spoon or something in while it was going at high speed the spoon could break the carafe shattering glass everywhere. According to VitaMix, their newest carafe is safe. I love my VitaMix, but I don’t leave food in the carafe any longer than necessary.

Some are concerned that the VitaMix with the carafe will not fit under their kitchen cabinets. Because I most frequently use the smaller carafe, that’s not a problem for me. If in doubt, measure the distance from countertop to cabinet and compare with the dimensions for the blender.

Hope this is helpful.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Amygdala~ I have the Waring Xtreme 3.5 hp, and I love it… On their site you can purchase a glass carafe… If and when I feel I need a new carafe, I will then buy a glass one…

The space between my upper cabinet and the counter is 18 and 9/16 inches, my blender including it’s top just clears by a hair’s width… So it does fit under my cabinet, however I did hang my cabinets myself… Better measure yours to make sure if that’s important to you…

I put quartered beets, kale including the stem, chunks of ginger, apples seeds and all, parsley stems, etc into it and have a very nice smoothie… Don’t forget the liquid, generally I use one and sometimes two cups of water or juice depending on my intent…

If I am making a nut cheese or butter, I do that in my food processor which is a 12 cup Cuisinart… Easier to get started and to get out of the container… Also love this machine!!!

Hope this info is helpful, Good health and luck to YOU!!!

• dodododo Raw Newbie

heheh lmao at “can’t imagine kale ever being any smoother than a berber rug” I made the mistake of putting beetroot leaf and black sesame seed into a smoothie the other day in my ooooh so not a vitamix blender, mmmmm crunchy (blagh)

Yes Dodo~ LOL

It’s amazing what the right equipment can do!!! There’s an old saying… If your need a plumber, you wouldn’t call (fill in the blank) a lawyer, a clergy, or doctor… YOU get the idea… LOL

• Thanks emtpdmom. I do remember the issue about safety regarding glass pitchers and utensils. But then I remembered seeing some bartenders use s. steel pitchers for frozen drinks but that was years ago. I wonder if they still make them that way.

waterbaby…thank you for that info. I will look into it. It must be a really good blender if it can liquidize all that stuff! My KitchenAid doesn’t fit in the cabinet with the top on it. So now it just lives permanently on the counter top which isn’t really ideal since I hardly ever use it now, due to its less than ideal skills at making smoothies. I also have a Cuisinart (about 6 cup) which I bought at least 15 years ago. It still gets a lot of use and now my husband uses it as well. I still worry about the plastic though, especially now that it is old and quite scratched up. I can’t throw it out though…it’s like an old friend!

dodo…were you able to get the beetroot leaf not-so-smoothie down? I actually did finish the kale smoothie I made because I refused to waste it all. But another time I made a “smoothie” with carrot tops and oh my…that was rough. I only managed to force down about 3 mouthfuls before I started choking, lol.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

The Braun Powermax 2550 is #1 rated by Consumer Reports. I have one, and I’m very happy with it. It’s great for everything except very dense dessert mixtures. That’s when I break out with the Vitamix! :)

Amygdala~ I have always hear but have never researched the toxicity of carrot tops… If what I heard is true, the choking may have been from more than one reason… Might want to do some research before consuming more tops blended or otherwise…

Here’s to your good health… (raising a smoothie into the air)... Yummmmmie!!!

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Amygdala, here’s Waterbaby’s post on another thread from early this morning regarding carrot tops. Apparently the recent carrot tops comments sent her into research mode. I’m sure she would have made this reference herself, but her father had another stroke yesterday and she’s helping take care of him.

• dodododo Raw Newbie

i did get it down but when you have to chew your smoothie it takes some of the pleasure away you know ;)

im sticking to eating the beetroot leaves in my salads now, and i juice the beetroot itself :)

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I have a Waring Pro- 3 H.P.. I see they have a stainless steel caraf. I like to see what is going on tho, so will “look into the glass carafe”. Thanks waterbaby. and thanks emptdmom for telling us about waterbaby’s dad. Will be in my thoughts today.

• I don’t know how well the vitamix or blendtec perform other than getting smoothies at a smoothie place. BUT!! I bought an oster blender ..retailing for 39.99 at bed bath and beyond after 20% off coupon i paid about 30 bucks. It works really well surprisingly for a cheap blender. It has a glass container also. I have made date paste in it, pesto sauce, smoothies..it crushes up ice to perfection …NO CHUNKS …..I highly recommend it if you can’t afford an expensive blender http://www.oster.com/ProductCategory.aspx?mpcid…

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

and if you can afford an expensive blender, I recommend any blendtec with a pitcher with a 4 inch blade. As smooth as the standard blendtec can get a kale based smoothie, it is even more so, and in less time in the 20 amp with a 4” blade.

• Thanks to everyone for this great info. How is Waterbaby’s father doing? I haven’t been on the site for a while and haven’t had time respond to posts. My mother’s been really sick as well so I’ve been spending time at her house.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Waterbaby’s father has passed on. You can offer condolences on this thread: http://www.goneraw.com/forums/other-stuff/topic…

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

ASDA do a glass jug blender for £19. We’ve got one. ASDA is owned by Walmart, maybe they sell the same type in the USA too?