Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I need more calories and protein!!

I just downloaded the cron-o-meter software, and I’m really worried about not getting enough calories. I need more calories and protein without more fat. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Wow – I didn’t know this existed. Love it!!! Thanks.

• Yeah, I heard about it on here actually. I think its awesome!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Maybe you could read the book The China Study, it sums up the protein myth.

To sum up…There has never been a case of protein deficiency in medical history. Everything you eat has protein in it. The issue for most is too much protein not too little. You could eat potatoes and nothing else and still get enough protein.

The standard ‘nutritional’ industry is way behind the cutting edge on this subject and it looks like the software you are using is not using accurate information.

The amount of Calories a healthy person should eat is also questionable. The amounts the mainstream use are not relevant for raw foodists, they are based on cooked SAD eaters. Many now believe that eating as low calories as possible is the way to true health.

Do you feel good, do you feel hungry doing what you are doing? Did you believe there to be an issue before you used this software?

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Zoe – Not true. I was deficient in protein a few months ago. It was at the same time as a severe illness (so it may have been caused by that?), but still, people need to know that it CAN happen. I started soaking my nuts & seeds after that to aid digestion in case that’s the problem/cause. I haven’t had my blood retested yet since then.

As for calories & how much to eat, a lack of appetite can come from nutritional deficiencies, so that may or may not be a good way to tell if you’re getting what you need. On the other hand, I seem to eat WAY more calories than “recommended” for my height/weight/activity level, so that’s not always accurate, either. I think it depends on you – like Zoe said, how do you feel?

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

I put hemp protein powder (just ground hemp seed) in my smoothies every morning. It really messes up the taste though and makes it bitter, so if anyone has any other options, please share. They make a flavoured version but it had some ingredients that I kinda questioned to purity of. I know it had evaporated sugarcane juice…is that ok? Is there any wrong with evaporated cane juice?

• The less you eat the longer you live, the protein myth. The ideal is to put green leafy veggies in your blender with fruits and add all your supper food. The blender will break down the green leaf and allow your body to digest all of the protein,the bone building nutrients, etc. You can get the same result buy masticating it until liquid. The problem of lack of protein happens to someone that do not chew well (assuming you are raw). For my smoothies I like to pre blend young coconut water and the meat together and then I pour in ice cube tray, freze and voila. I get sweet, cold and nutritive food in my smoothies and no need for sugar. Love to all.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I’m a huge fan of hemp food products for protein and essential fatty acids. I put the powder in smoothies, make nut milks from the seeds, and use the oil on my salads. It’s wonderful stuff :)

Cheers, Kristen

www.KristensRaw.com

www.KristensRaw.blogspot.com

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hi Angie, I got that information about protein from the DVD “Eating”, all the Doctors’ claims about protein are well referenced on their website. http://www.ravediet.com/

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i’m a little concerned over how much emphasis is placed on calories lately… it is ONE opinion that we need a certain amount of calories. many other raw foodists concentrate on NUTRIENTS, and the totally bizarre concept of EATING WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY! ;)

unless you are eating a diet of pure junk food (not as easy, but still possible on a raw food diet: i.e. all concentrated sweeteners and fat), or eating mostly cooked root vegetables, it’s practically impossible to not get enough protein.

• As ZOE said do not worry about protein! But if you are hungry eat more of sweet fruit and definitely reed “The 80/10/10 Diet”. I have done 10 day and 24 hour running races following those gidelines. Even if you will never join 811 that will explain so many things to you.

• As I understood the protein deficiency thing, if you receive enough calories (energy) based on a whole foods diet, you can not have a protein deficiency (unless of course, your body is not functioning properly due to illness). If you eat plenty of calories from say…Cheetos and Coke, then you can be deficient.

• Kirsten, what are you drinking there? Coke, or booze?

• dodododo Raw Newbie

i think your body will tell you more efficiently if you need more in your diet than a what was it called, cron o meter? everybodys needs are different and there is no formula to judge how much we need better than hunger and our bodies responses!

MMMmmmmm….its not coke or booze, looks like unchicken noodle soup from here :P, either that or starbucks got a new packaging design :P

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

In my experience, a balanced approach is always best. Smoothies are great for packing in fruit and protein to make a filling meal. The rest of the time, a few fruits and veggie meals with some nut/seed pates or burgers.

www.rawlifestyle.co.uk

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

sweetpea, that link to your website on the bottom of your posts isn’t working.

• rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

Branwyn32, I found an excellent way of making hempseed shakes without the bitter taste. Somehow the food combination works like a miracle and the final product even taste like made with real milk.

This is what you do: Blend a couple of tablespoons in the blender first with a little water (1/4 cup app). Once you have a cream like consistency, add four strawberries and a cup of frozen mangoes. Add the juice of two oranges (or more) and fill up with half to one cup of water, depending on how think/soft you like your smoothies. Blend in ice grinding until creamy. Let me know what you think.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

I believe it really is an individual thing when it comes down to protein. Some people need quite a bit a protein in order to feel their best.

Quiora, here are some low fat protein sources that will give you some calories as well: Spirulina, chlorella, Raw Power protein powder (naturalzing.com), Sun Warrior protein (sunfood.com or rawvegansource.com), sprouts, mature grasses, goji berries, bee pollen, incan berries, maca, mesquite meal (low in calories), hemp protein powder. :)

• Every protein is made up of amino acids- smaller molecules making up a protein. Molecules carry out nutrients.

We do not really need to eat the proteins. but rather the amino acids. Science-wise, visualize, eating only one amino acid and not including any others, we are only eating one molecule. Each molecule shapes the actual protein and the way it functions. When there is a lack of even one amino acid, there is a difference in the molecular structure of a protein. The molecular structure of a protein is constructed of 22 amino acids, our liver makes most of them.. nine are needed in our diet

Keep in mind, amino acids go into the bloodstream. If the correct amount is not made all at once, your body is never getting the complete protein you need. Protein is not about quantity but quality, a COMBINATION of wide variety foods create a wide variety COMPLEX STRUCTURE of amino acids, equall-ing adequate protein. Proteins control most of the make-up for what our body is. Carbs, fats, sugars, everything else, aid in the digestion of nutrients effecting the efficiency of proteins.

Check it out, the amino acids that are not created by our body, and our needed in our diet are: leucine, isoleucine, threonine, valine, methionine, lysine, tryptophan, phenylanlanine, and histidine.

Protein deficiency is the result of the lack of amino acids or them being out of order. Again,it is important than when you eat you blend a colorful variety of many foods, as fruits, vegetables and legumes all have different incomplete proteins, all together creating a complete protein.

Bee pollen is said to have a complete protein. A lot of sprouted items, have high levels of protein. Smoothies and juice are great ways to get adequate amounts of protein!

I hope this is a bit helpful.