Help needed!!! Vote Yes on Prop 2: Help the Animals win on Election Day

JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

To me personally the outcome of Prop 2 in California is just as important as the national election (my heart breaks for all these poor animals in factory farms who have no voice, freedom or rights to a humane life)

http://hsus.typepad.com/wayne/2008/09/propositi…

I admittingly gave a bigger contribution to Prop 2 in California than the democratic party in Vermont. You don’t have to live in California to contribute. Even a small donation will make a difference. If this law passes, many other states in the US will follow, so this is EXTREMELY important.

Comments

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Here’s an email I received from the Humane Society US a week or so ago (meant to post this earlier)

Dear Joyce,

In just 54 days, California voters will have a chance to improve the lives of 20 million animals trapped in factory farms—simply by going to the polls and voting YES! on Prop 2, a common sense measure that will give factory farm animals room to live healthier, fuller lives. This initiative will have a major impact on animals across the nation.Join the $20/20 Campaign!

But Prop 2 is opposed by factory farms that want to preserve a status quo that harms animals, hurts the environment, and risks food safety. In fact, last Friday more than 120 of these agribusiness corporations dumped more than $4.5 million into the campaign to defeat this reasonable reform, bringing their total reported contributions to more than $6.7 million.

Animals are depending on us, so losing this fight isn’t an option. we have to match the opposition. The industry may have deep pockets, but what they don’t have is people and together we can build an unstoppable movement of thousands just like you and me, working person to person to educate voters and make a life-changing difference for millions of animals on November 4th.

• KevlarKevlar Raw Newbie

I live in California, and I will definitely check into this further. Thanks for the heads-up.

here’s another link

http://www.yesonprop2.com/

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I’ll donate! Every fiber of me wishes a better life for these animals.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

It’s funny that you mention this because it’s been on my mind, I drove by a cattle semi today and the cows were packed in so tightly that their flesh was pushing through the holes. It made me feel really sad. I’m sure it’s worse at the farms and this sounds like a really good cause.

I actually sent the information to see if the company I work for wanted to help since it likes to associate it’s name with good causes….not sure if anything can be done though…

• Thanks JoyceH for this info! :-)

I have to say that I am a bit sad that only 77 people out of 7,000+ of members have even viewed this thread. I feel a bit like a minority being a big animal lover and passionate about animal rights here on goneraw. I felt that on a vegan website, more folks would be interested in voting to help animals suffering on factory farms? Surely there must be more Californians on this website. I used to live in San Diego county and felt there was a big interest in animals out there on the West Coast.

aww, Joyce! There are tons of animal lovers out there! Maybe they didn’t understand the thread title or if they aren’t from california didn’t think it was relevant.

I’m all for it.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

joyce, i donated! my only gripe is that these provisions are so basic….. i was an animal science major back in the day( yes ive castrated un anethtesized baby animals at school….i only lasted one year there, then i became an equine science major and focused on becoming a barn manager and riding instructor….also light years from my current job and enlightenment where horses are concerned)every man, woman and child should have to visit a farm where there chicken meat, eggs, and pork are produced…immediate vegans i gaurauntee! and for the hold outs have them scrape down a veal pen with the metal spatula like i did for extra cash…vile/vomitous does not even discribe that experience….

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Joyce, I only think about 100 members on this site are actually active. A good portion of that 3,000 no longer visit Gone Raw. This is very cruel and I wish I could donate, but I’m too young. Oh well, I’m sure you will get more contributers! We’ll keep pushing this thread to the top so more people see it.

Thanks Rawkidchef. To be honest I didn’t expect many people to donate, but was hoping more folks would have checked it out for the upcoming election. (I guess personal soundtracks are more interesting)

Hopefully Californians will vote yes on Prop 2. I no longer live in CA so I can’t vote but just wanted to get the message out to those in CA. It’s a step in the right direction. Of course a perfect world in my humble opinion would be a place where humans do not kill and eat any animals- fish, birds mammals, etc, etc…..I was born on the wrong planet…. :-(

I think I’m on the wrong website too…but the recipes keep me coming back b/c among the many I wouldn’t make, there’s always a great gem of a recipe that pops up from time to time

Don’t leave us Joyce!

I at least appreciate your concern for animal cruelty. I understand why people eat meat but that doesn’t mean they have torture the animals first.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

joyce just fyi: i was at my local feed store today which is innundated with “vote NO on prop 2” propaganda, They are not lying when they say it would be unsafe for the birds to free range them. as free range means” loose and crowded on the floor of the huge chicken houses…not out in a pasture. Birds this confined in a feed lot situation if you will, do turn violent as the overcrowding and unatural conditions cause strife, they are also not lying when they say the eggs will be layed in feces as the floor of one of these buildings gets really gross in one days time with 100s of birds living on it…they are useing the scare tactic of expence and egg imports from mexico and the avian flu to keep chickens in tiny cages in a building…..its so maddening! This to me is the prime example of what is wrong with laws, they mandate something that may have valid points the other side, but may end up hurting animals as well….sigh whats the answer?????

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Joyce, don’t leave us! You are a great contributor! Maybe change the thread name to “All Californians Please Look” or something like that. You’re absolutely right to protect animals and would definitely get my mom to vote if we lived in California. Now, I feed my cat a whole raw prey diet, so I’m giving her whole animals to eat, but I make sure I get them from a farm that humanely euthanizes them with CO2. So, I know she does best eating the animals and the prey are killed humanely, and it’s a part of nature, I don’t have a problem doing it.

However, because people WEREN”T meant to eat meat and are completely torturing animals this shouldn’t be done. It’s just ridiculous that the world can’t figure this out that they’re totally responsible for all this.

Voting has begun in Ohio and I am becoming optimistic that Obama will win. It appears he is becoming more popular in many states, so there is a good chance he will win the election, even if he doesn’t win Ohio. Don’t worry, Joyce, with a Democrat in office I think animal cruelty will go down, I mean, why wouldn’t a liberal take some action?

Thanks for the kind words RawKidChef. I was listening to NPR/VPR this morning about all the college students camping out overnight in the rain to vote early for Obama. I was so happy and impressed by these young adults! Very inspiring and a great way to start out my day (nice to get some good news amongst the national financial crisis that keeps on giving)

omshanti – the big agribusiness of CA has been pouring millions of dollars into a campaign to fight Prop 2. I can see both sides as well like you said.

Here in Vermont there are a lot of meat eaters. But the good things is that many folks here pride themselves in supporting the small local farms which are far more humane than the factory farms out in California. People really care about the origins of their meat/poultry/fish. Lots of people even buy farm shares of local meats and birds. Perhaps if this mentality spread more to the entire country, big agribusiness would be forced to change. Maybe I’m naive to think that the Amercian Mainstream would someday actually give a damn about their meat souces, but I can only hope for the best.