When your boss offers to take you for lunch..

What do you do? I can’t really refuse because I feel like she may want to discuss a promotion/raise with me and I don’t want to miss the opportunity. She knows I’m vegan (haven’t mentioned that I’m raw because of her reaction to veganism, ugh people are so closed-minded) and she has kind of already questioned my diet and how healthy it is when she sees what I eat throughout the day. She hasn’t ridiculed me or anything though like other coworkers do. I guess I could just order a salad but a lot of dressings in restaurants aren’t raw. I just feel so awkward.

Comments

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

Personally I would just go and get a salad. You could ask for just oil and vinegar for it. It might not be perfect or have nutrient density of a raw dressing but I doubt that much one time will hurt you. I wouldn’t pass up a job opportunity based on a few tablespoons of salad dressing.

See if you can suggest the restaurant at least. That may help.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

It depends on the restaurant – some have fresh avocado available, or a lime or lemon to squeeze on your salad. Many restaurants also have some kind of fresh fruit available, too. I went to a restaurant that didn’t have any fresh fruit listed on the menu, but I asked anyway, and the waitress brought orange slices & strawberries from the bar. Depending on your relationship with the boss, you could potentially bring your own dressing, or at least salt, to put on your salad. I love a salad with avocado & salt. :)

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Don’t pass up a job opertunity for one meal! As branwyn says see if you can suggest the resaurant, if not get a salad or see if there are other bits on the menu that they can put on the salad, i.e. if they are offering spinach with another dish, ask if you can get some spinach leaves thrown into the salad? And most important of all good luck with the promotion/raise!! :-)

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

I agree what others have said. Just go, one meal isn’t the end of the world :) Although I am not all raw myself I try to eat A LOT of raw food and sometimes get down on myself for not eating enough raw, but really and truly, it’s not a big deal. Who knows, you might even enjoy it a little bit ;)

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

If you know in advance, you can call the restaurant. I do this so that no one else is uncomfortable. I find that my friends scan the menu and get worried that I won’t find anything to eat! It doesn’t bother me to have a dinner salad, at all, I hate for them to be so concerned. So, the last time I went for an important dinner, I called the restaurant and asked in advance so that I had it all worked out before I got there.

• thank you so much for the kind responses everyone. :) we went to a decent restaurant and i had a huge garden salad with olive oil. i ended up getting the raise! hooray! a lot of great suggestions here, i really appreciate it.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Congratulations! That’s so exciting. See! That’s what sacrificing a little bit can get you:)

• i know! thanks trouble! :)