Can Coconuts be 'unripe'?

clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Here I am with another coconut question..!

I’m usually a-ok with the pre prepped thai, chop the top off variety, they’re one of my favuorite things in the whole world.

The greengrocer where I have found some locally only had green coconuts last week, so I got a couple of them.

Well, the first water I had to drink wasnt as sweet as I normally find it and gave me awful stomach ache about 30 mins later, followed by feelings of nausea.

I didnt finish it, understandably I think, and when I checked for meat it was literally just shell, with about 1 teaspoon of very clear jelly after a good scrape around..

I’m a little reluctant to try the others now.. Any ideas??

Comments

• That was a very very young coconut with immature water in it. Not very sweet. As the coconut ages, the meat gets thicker and the water gets sweeter. There are also many different varieties of Coconuts we have three here in Puerto Rico. The best part is they sell Coco Frio (Fresh Cold Coco Water) or people drive around and will cut them open for you and for $7 you get a gallon of fresh Coconut water..mmmm yummmmm.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

An unripe coconut is simply a young coconut. A mature coconut is considered “ripe” and a young is considered “unripe”.

• okraokra Raw Newbie

here’s whats i heard/experienced: really young coconut has pinkish water/inner cell and little jelly. but when they go bad, they have purplish jelly/water. so its little tricky. when i get pink/purple colored one, i try to taste little a bit before drink it. but most of time purple one’s are really purple so pretty easy to tell this is bad one or not.

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Thanks guys,

It makes sense that it was very very young as described as it was literally just shell inside, I’d drunk it with a straw so didnt notice other than the water not being as nice as usual, until I had the bad stomach ache..

Have you heard of it being bad for you or giving stomach aches if too young?

Is there a way of being able to tell the ‘age’ green coconuts before you open them or is it just hit & miss..?

Never had a prob with the pre-prepped as I said, so dont know whether to avoid the green (and they’re a pain to open..!)