Eating in the middle of the night?

Anyone else wake up starving in the middle of the night?

So last time I went raw, I used to wake up in the middle of the night and start eating while half asleep, then go back to bed. At the time I was working out 4 – 6 days a week and eating whatever raw food I wanted, so it wasn’t like I was limiting my caloric intake.

I’m on day 4 of raw (except for the coffee…still holding on to that for the time being), and last night it started up again. I’m not worried about how much I’m eating, but am more annoyed than anything and hoping it doesn’t become another nightly ritual at 1am. I tend to gravitate towards nuts or anything heavy that I have in the house. Anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

No that’s not happened to me. In fact, my sleep is so much better since going Raw. How late are you drinking coffee? Is that keeping you up? How late are you eating? Are you getting enough calories in during the day? Maybe you can have something ready to drink for those times you get up, like a green smoothie.

Cheers, Kristen

• Anytime I’ve had coffee in the past while doing raw, I ended up eating a TON no matter what I ate that day.

Coffee, I realized was not worth it…

• dodododo Raw Newbie

i have the total oposite too, i used to wake up so hungry i felt sick, now i rarely get nauseas from hunger. and i sleep like a baby, again tho i have given up coffee so that is prob something to do with it. maybe if you quit coffee you would naturally sleep through the hunger, the stomach emptying itself can emulate hunger too so often just a drink of water is enough to stop it. the smoothie idea is a good one tho definatly, you wont be disturbing your sleep as much as you would if you have to physically get up and go fridge rummaging.

hope it sorts itself out, sounds like a pain :)

• Maybe it is time to give up the coffee ;) I usually have some first thing in the morning and that’s it. Guess it’s worth it to give it a shot. The green smoothie is a good idea too!

• are you tracking your nutrient intake with a calorie counter? could be you aren’t getting enough of something, making you wake up to eat.

• In my opinion… i dont think that coffee has anything to do with it. i was having the same problem the last time i was raw. i just needed to eat loads of food. what i am planning to do now ( when i get back to raw next month) is to make sure i eat my last meal fairly late in the day. i sleep well on a full raw belly. i cant say that about SAD food. i really do believe that some people just need to eat more on raw. if you are worried about calories then try to keep something low calorie in the fridge for when you do want to eat. not having food avilableto eat when you are hungry is one way to derail your raw diet. cause i know when i am REALLY hungry and theres not the right kind of food in my fridge…. i get off track.

try switching your eating times around and see if that helps.

• While coffee seems the easiest culprit to finger, I think it may be a combination of exercise and possibly a need for more variety of food during the day maybe. Sometimes I find certain foods trigger my need to eat, especially nuts. Actually now that I think about being full helps as does keeping simple and eating lots of fruit… Hmm not much help am I ;-)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

This happened to me when I didn’t eat enough throughout the day. Try eating a big breakfast, lunch, dinner, lots of snacks. All raw. Once I did this and met my 2,000 to 2500 calorie intake, I was fine at night.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

good point winona.

Make sure you count your calories just to get an idea of what you need. I recently did this and found I was way low. I wasn’t waking up hungry at night but there were other things. Everyone is different. Now I try to get at least 1000 to 1500 calories. That may still seem low but I”m working on it:)

• Eating late at night is probably the best fix. I know a lot of people say not to eat late due to it leading to sleep problems, but if it wasn’t an issue when I was on the SAD then it probably isn’t an issue. Good point about the nutrition defect! Anyone ever use fitday.com? I use that to track nutrition, calories, and exercise every once in a while. Maybe it’s time to see what’s missing in my diet ;) Thanks for all your input peeps!

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

This past weekend I ate raw, but drank coffee both mornings. I hardly slept at all both nights. I ate well during the day and shouldn’t have been hungry or thirsty in the middle of the night, but both nights I found myself in the kitchen between 3 and 6 a.m., either eating fruit or drinking (non-raw) juice. I definitely blame the coffee/caffeine. It messes with me, even 12 or more hours after consuming it! I wasn’t really hungry either night. I’m sure that the fact that I was awake, jittery and needing something to take the edge off led to my searches for fruit and juice. I’m trying really hard to eliminate caffeine and aspartame from my diet completely. They are evil addictions for me. Even after 6 months away from diet soda, one or two will send me right back to daily consumption. My friends think it’s funny that I’m addicted to Diet Pepsi and Diet Dr. Pepper, but it’s no joke. The caffeine only accounts for 50% or less of the addiction. I don’t crave green or black tea or even coffee the way I do the sodas. Steelspydr, try to get all stimulants out of your system and see if the quality of your sleep improves. As long as you’re meeting your nutritional needs during waking hours (and preferably not too close to bedtime), you shouldn’t be needing any food during your sleeping hours.