Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

A suspicous email I received

RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

Hmmm, does anything seem funny about this email? It was entitled: Urgent Request. Confidential.

Dear American:

I need to ask you to support an urgent secret business relationship with a transfer of funds of great magnitude.

I am Ministry of the Treasury of the Republic of America. My country has had a crisis that has caused the need for large transfer of funds of 800 billion dollars US. If you would assist me in this transfer, it would be most profitable to you.

I am working with Mr. Phil Gram, lobbyist for UBS, who will be my replacement as Ministry of the Treasury in January. As a Senator, you may know him as the leader of the American banking deregulation movement in the 1990s. This transactin is 100% safe.

This is a matter of great urgency. We need a blank check. We need the funds as quickly as possible. We cannot directly transfer these funds in the names of our close friends because we are constantly under surveillance. My family lawyer advised me that I should look for a reliable and trustworthy person who will act as a next of kin so the funds can be transferred.

Please reply with all of your bank account, IRA and college fund account numbers and those of your children and grandchildren to wallstreetbailout@treasury.gov so that we may transfer your commission for this transaction. After I receive that information, I will respond with detailed information about safeguards that will be used to protect the funds.

Yours Faithfully,

Minister of Treasury Paulson

Comments

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

LMAOOOO

i hope your first question was sarcastic.=P

• DreaDrea Raw Master

WOW! There asking you to trust them with allot of your personal information. I dont know…???

• please don’t believe this nonsense. It is a scam just like the ones people get from “african royalty” is a scam.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

One time my mom got something like this, except it was by phone. It was to receive some grant or something like that, so she gave exactly the information this guy wants, and what do you know, the next thing taking up all our time is we’re sitting in Bank of America trying to fix the fraud problem and get rid of her existin account. If you sign on to this, I assure you will regret it. This is probably a fraud.

• Funny, RawVoice. Not so funny is the fact that our President is tripping over his own feet to get that blank check sent out asap! Perhaps he also fell for the Nigerian bank account scam. ;)

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

Okay folks, the email is, in fact, a gag. If you read it carefully you’ll see it’s a funny take off on an old scam, with a new twist involving the US government.

• OMG – this is hysterical. And… how close to the truth.

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

People that do these things make me so mad. Its so unfair as those that aren’t necessarily clued up would fall for stuff like this and part with hard earned cash.

all of your bank account, IRA and college fund account numbers and those of your children and grandchildren

Unbelievable.

Apparently even your bank wouldnt contact you and request info like these kind of personal details and if anyone does, contact the authority that deals with these fraudsters to try to save others..

I’m in the UK so I dont know who that might be for you guys.

Karma, is what I say. These things have ways of coming back around.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

The “agency” to contact with these types of suspicious emails (or any other type of correspondence) is the FBI. Contact a local office and they will give you a fax number or email addy to forward the suspicious correspondence.

BTW, your bank, the IRS, etc. will NEVER email or call you requesting (even in the form of asking you to verify information) personal information. These are high tech money robbing scams. NEVER! NEVER! reply to them. You have the option to forward the information to the authorities.

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

Okay I repeat… the email is A GAG. If you read it carefully you’ll see it’s a funny take off on an old scam, with a new twist involving the US government. It’s genuinely hysterical.

• Ok – how is anyone taking this seriously?? i thought the joke is obvious?

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Not everyone might realise that though guys. Some people do lose money over stuff like this. Maybe not everyone’s as savvy. I think that’s all we’re trying to say.

Look at rawkidchef’s example.

I think its def funny if you’re not drawn in but very sad if you are. It doesnt mean they should get away with it.

Sorry if you disagree.

• Hahaha, that is FUNNY RawVoice!!

Did anyone read the “letter”, the joke is OBVIOUS!! :)