kelp noodles: thai style

kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

Hey all! need some inspiration! I’ve gotten great at making an asian inspired kelp noodle dish, and an italian one, but I”d love an idea for a thai style sauce to soak my fav noodles in.. any suggestions? thanks!

Comments

• Hey kminty- what are your recipes for the asian and italian dishes? I freakin love kelp noodles!

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

What did I do wrong with mine? They were so crunchy. They resembled nothing I’ve ever seen or tasted before. Can they be softened? I bought two packs, but I hated the first go-around. I’d like not to waste the second pack. I’m all ears for recipe ideas.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Just a side note about kelp. When I bought my first kelp noodles they were in the frozen section of the store. I thought they were terrible. Another time I bought them at a different store, as they were in the refrigerator section. Not like the prefrozen ones at all. Matter of fact fairly good. Short lesson. Never freeze kelp noodles.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

I have been making a really tasty sauce for my family lately that my husband swears tastes like the sauces he has had in thai restaurants Here it is: almond butter, nama shoyu, cilantro, basil, mint, and lime juice. Whiz it up in the blender and enjoy!

• RubyLaineRubyLaine Raw Newbie

Ok, so if I am in the grocery store, where do I find these kelp noodles? I have looked all over, even in asian markets to no avail.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I got my good kelp noodles at Whole Foods.They where in the refrigerated section buy the grain noodles.

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

This is my current fav Thai style dressing

http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/458-Thai-Salad-w…

I use it with everything possible!!

I havent managed to find any kelp noodles in the uk yet, having traipsed all round China Town etc so not 100% on how to prepare them yet [soaked for 1/2h hour is it..?] but I guess if you wanted to soak them in it you could just make it thinner and stronger..??

• Hi Clr-1976, Funkyraw (UK) sells Sea noodles. I am not sure if they are the same as Kelp noodles but maybe you can check with them.

Kminty3 : maybe you would like to have a look in Ani Phyo’s web page as she has a receipe for kelp noodles with pistachio. Here is the link: http://www.aniphyo.com/category/recipes /

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

What did I do wrong with mine? They were so crunchy. They resembled nothing I’ve ever seen or tasted before. Can they be softened? I bought two packs, but I hated the first go-around. I’d like not to waste the second pack. I’m all ears for recipe ideas.

sweetpea – to soften kelp noodles, you’re supposed to soak them in liquid for hours. It could be a sauce, or you could just use water then drain them. You must soak them to soften, there’s no way around it.

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

Winona – thank you! I will try them again this week. I was starting to wonder whether kelp just isn’t for me. I’m concerned that I have a different brand, though. Mine were ordered from UpayaNaturals.com and are shelf-stable until opened—definitely not from the freezer or refrigerator.

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Hey Strawberry girl

Thanks for the info, they’re not the same having googled them both.

There’s another thread on here, ‘sea spaghetti’, I’ve put some info on there.

Kelp noodles seem to be clear.. sea spaghetti is an actual seaweed. You’ll see form the pic on funky raw. I got mine from the dolphin sea vegetable company in Ireland and got a little box to try, was only £2.10, which is expensive for 25g but cheaper than £26! Funky raw was sold out at the time but hey, I got to try them at least, will get from funky raw next time.

Might google the kelp noodles again and have another go to try to find some, currently I think it would cost more for the postage from the states than the noodles!!