Anything you can't preserve with a dehydrator & Food Saver?

Okay, I have my Food Saver with canning jar attachment. I purchased the last box of canning jars at the store. I’m loaded for bear.

One of the few reasonably priced, organic foods I have access to are muscadine grapes. I was thinking about cleaning them, blending them down, and spreading them on parchment paper and then dehydrating them. After they are dry, cut them up in smaller pieces and vacuum seal them in mason jars.

I think you can do this but would like to benefit from the experience of those before me.

Do I need to freeze them in case they don’t get dry enough? Any tips or tricks to doing this? Any foods you have to watch out for while trying to preserve this way?

Comments

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

I know Waterbaby has dehydrated some foods as leather and vacuum sealed them. Seems that I remember her specifically mentioning grapes. I think Beany has done some of this also. Hopefully one or both of them will reply. In the meantime I’ll try to find where they were talking about dehydrating and vacuum sealing. If I remember correctly, it’s within another thread, not a topic by itself. If I find it, I’ll edit and add the link to this post.

I personally have dehydrated and sealed mushrooms (sliced), onions (sliced or diced), fresh parsley, cilantro, etc., sliced peppers and nuts. I also vacuum seal my seeds for sprouting.

EDIT: OK, I found these three: WINTER food ideas, TOMATOES and peppers, VACUUM SEALER help. There are bits and pieces of information on all three of these, but I think most of Beany and Waterbaby’s conversations are in the last one. If you do a search for “Vacuum Seal” there are 3 pages of posts. You might want to browse there as well. Good luck, and please let us know what does and does not work for you.