Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Blender or Food Processor?

If you could only have one which would you choose?

I have a small kitchen/can’t afford both.

Which is most versatile?

On a side note how important do you think it is to go by the normal guidelines one sees for caloric intake?

I calculate at 2400+ calories a day, but with raw and whole foods wouldn’t we need less calories to get the same nutrition?

Comments

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

I would get the blender. I say that, because it is the decision I made, and I have yet to regret it. Green smoothies are the cornerstone of my diet.

As for eating fewer calories, you still need energy. I find that if I don’t get adequate calories for a few days, I get desperate for calorically dense foods. Especially cheese and sushi. It always makes me feel worse.

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

blender.. bar none. I do like my food processor for things like grinding seeds and finely chopping onions, etc, but I use my blender 3 times more often then the processor, and that’s where the bulk of my food goes. I just have a cheap old black and decker, with a glass carafe. it works pretty well still (cross fingers)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

agreed about blender. i use the food processor too, but the blender more often. though, it depends whether or not you prefer things like squash rice, mock taboule, grated carrot and beet salad (if so, go for the fp)... or green smoothies, blended drinks and soups (if so, go for the blender).

i think you are right on about calories. i eat far less on a raw diet.

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

There are definitely things I can’t do in my blender, but I have a good hand me down Oster that was probably about $50, not a vitamix. It works just fine for green smoothies (I don’t know if it could pass the kale test, but I’m sure I’ll survive). Frankly I would never spend $500 on a kitchen appliance, even if I could afford it. It just seems absurd to me. I paid less than that for my car (and it is reliable, surprisingly). That being said, from what I’ve heard, one of the crazy expensive ones like a VitaMix or BlendTec can do pretty much all the things a FP can do.

I would look on yahoo groups for your local Freecycle organization and join, and see/ask if anyone has a blender/FP. Check the “free” and “household goods” section of craigslist too. I got my first dehydrator free via freecycle. It wasn’t what I wanted though, so I sold it on craigslist for $20. I then used that to buy a good used one on craigslist for the same $20. :) My blender is hand me down as I said, but you could also look in your local thrift stores/goodwill/salvation army. I’ve seen them at my local goodwill for $5. The only thing I bought new is my FP which was $30 at Walmart. Except for the blender, I keep everything stashed in cupboards/atop the fridge when not in use.

• ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

Thanks all for your input. I bought a blender for $30, an off brand, but it has stainless steel blades and a glass carafe and 500watt motor.

I am going to try to quote now, bear with me.

stevio writes, 1 day ago: (79 posts)

I would get the blender. I say that, because it is the decision I made, and I have yet to regret it. Green smoothies are the cornerstone of my diet.

As for eating fewer calories, you still need energy. I find that if I don’t get adequate calories for a few days, I get desperate for calorically dense foods. Especially cheese and sushi. It always makes me feel worse.

That rings very true for me, stevio.

I will be experimenting with smoothies this week. yay, fun!

Sounds like a good choice to me, ungrateful! My food processor is 500 watts so I bet the blender of that power will do quite well. And the glass is good, no leaching plastic! I don’t know the wattage of mine but it blends spinach with a little water down to complete liquid in a few seconds. I’m sure if I really wanted kale that badly I could devein it and chop it up and then put it in.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Blender!! You just can’t get the consistency right for sauces, dressings and smoothies with a FP. Also, There’s the time factor. A good High speed blender makes a smoothie out of wood blocks in 30 sec! Nutmylks, dressings, sauces, dips, spreads. I’ve even done burgers in there before i got the FP. FP better for things like pie crusts and fast slicing of carrots zucchini.

ooh, thanks again you all! I love my blender and have been making smoothies all this week, trying to get a smoothie with 1000 calories or more, but low in fat. Math, lol. not my friend.

I am trying to add a recipe to the recipe file on this site but it’s not working.

Is this a glitch due to the recent site changes or is it just me?

it’s a bug…i think at the mo the site will only let you add recipes with images. so add an image (even if it’s a stock photo of an orange) and it should work. at least that’s the deal according to one of the mods. there’s a thread about it somewhere.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I actually would choose food processor.. I do more with mine. I even have a blendtec but mostly use it for smoothies.. the food processor is great for cookies, breads, dips, sauces.. so much

I love this site. Everyone is so supportive.

tyvm, branwyn i will try that

kminty3, thanks a bunch for your input. I didn’t eat cookies or breads when I was eating cooked foods, so i won’t need that! lol :)

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Definitely blender. Much more useful :)

RKC, I just read your profile, are you really 12?

And you say you eat Klamath Lake BG Algae? My BF works up there harvesting it.

Small world…

12??? That isn’t old enough to participate in forums, is it? Please tell me that is a typo?

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

Wether or not 12 is old enough to participate, RKC is wise beyond her years. It is hard to believe she is 12 just based on the quality of her posts and the open mindedness with which she approaches everything here. If she didn’t clearly have a great home life, I’d want to adopt her. (And I don;t mean that in a sick internet predator kind of way).