Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Sources of complete protein - plant based

RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

I’m in a group that’s going to give a presentation on ethical and environmental food choices. Can someone give me a good article or articles about plant-based sources of complete protein? I would prefer articles that refer to studies, or articles from universities. Well-documented stuff. Websites would be good, too. For my purposes, I’m even interested in cooked food combinations that create complete proteins, such as beans and rice. For a lot of people, vegan cooked food will be a step in the right direction!!

Comments

• The good news is that you don’t need to combine foods or create a “complete” protein. That myth has been debunked for a while now, and you can help spread the word (all the biggest, strongest, longest living animals on the planet eat only plants and don’t “combine” proteins or even know how).

http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/history.html#comp…

And if someone asks you about protein (which I’m totally fed up with hearing but whatever), you can remind them that human breast milk is 5.5% protein, and that’s when we are experiencing our fastest growth and need the most (plants are 23% protein, by the way). Much more info at the above link and http://michaelbluejay.com/veg

Peace!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

WILD BLUE GREEN ALGAE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think children still need complete protein, I mean, how else will they grow? I think we should be giving this to our kids. I take it all day long. Now, I have an example, but it’s from Naked Chocolate Book and I’m going to put it in quotes. I don’t have the book in front of me so I’ll write it a little later today. It is a study that involves how much children improved when they were given blue green algae. But, in the meantime, here are some websites.

http://www.crystalalgae.com

http://www.amazines.com/article_detail.cfm/3694…

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/HerbsWho/0,392…

http://books.google.com/books?id=tEaZK3P0OxIC&p…

Note: for the last result, just click on the Preview this Book tab, and scroll all the way to the bottom till you see the Algae Superfood Section beginning in blue.

• Check out Robert Cheeke’s article: http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=article_… I take spirulina & chlorella tablets (http://www.watershed.net/chlorella.aspx) & drink Sun Warrier Protein Powder (http://www.sunfood.com/Catalog/CategorySearchRe…) if I am in heavy endurance mode like now as the Chicago Marathon is in 2 weeks. I always have hemp protein on hand & am sure to drink my green smoothies every day.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

rawkidchef— i think you missed the point of the article that mr. mickmaster gave. (thanks by the way!)

the assumption that we need “complete” protein stems from the misguided idea that “meat is best” but vegans are making a “really cute & compassionate” choice not to kill animals… so they need to find something EXACTLY LIKE meat (i.e. a complete protein) to fill that void and live with their “lofty principles.”

we need to step out of this mindframe i think.

• More on sprout protein – I actually just ordered this one: http://www.naturalnews.com/024342.html. Note I don’t believe I would normally need protein supplementation, but I had been on birth control pills for 23 years, and any type of meds impede your body’s ability to uptake nutrients – plus I’m an endurance athlete – running Chicago in 2 weeks – plus I’d tested low on certain amino acids before I gave up the Pill, so this is just for assurance that I’m supplementing.

• As long as you are eating a varied diet protein is just not an issue. We make protein from amino acids which are easier to assimalate from plant sources. I think the only big issue for vegans is B12.

• beate64beate64 Raw Newbie

Hi, a complete source of protein is Quinoa. I cant find the link right now and need to run out of the door… sorry, but with google you should be able to find it :))

• Why don’t you define “complete protein” for us, what you mean, so we can answer the question, considering the original “complete protein” myth is debunked, so we need “now/2008” terms to help you.

• Piani, Rose, Super – I get the idea that a lot of folks skip the entries between the first and the last, don’t you?

I’m pretty sure the REAL King of the Jungle and our second-closest relative on the planet, the gorilla, probably eats a lot less variety of foods than we do and I’ll betcha dollars to donuts he doesn’t know what a complete protein is. And doesn’t need to. And neither do we.

It’s another vegan myth that we need to dispose of once and for all to help all those corpse eaters in the United Steaks of Listeria and elsewhere see the light or at least give them less ammo to use against us…

• beate64beate64 Raw Newbie

For anyone who is interested, and yes, the discussion about protein for vegans is overrated, but this info is still a good one. “The quinoa seed is high in protein, calcium and iron, a relatively good source of vitamin E and several of the B vitamins. It contains an almost perfect balance of all eight essential amino acids needed for tissue development in humans. It is exceptionally high in lysine, cystine and methionine-amino acids typically low in other grains. It is a good complement for legumes, which are often low in methionine and cystine. The protein in quinoa is considered to be a complete protein due to the presence of all 8 essential amino acids. Some types of wheat come close to matching quinoa’s protein content, but grains such as barley, corn, and rice generally have less than half the protein of quinoa. Quinoa is 12% to 18% protein and four ounces a day, about 1/2-cup, will provide a childs protein needs for one day. The 6-7% fat of quinoa is relatively high when compared to other grains, but it boasts a low sodium content and also provides valuable starch and fiber. Quinoa also contains albumen, a protein that is found in egg whites, blood serum, and many plant and animal tissues. The seeds are gluten-free which makes this a nutritious and flavorful alternative grain for those with gluten sensitivity. Quinoa would be a worthy addition to anyone’s diet, supplying variety as well as good nutrition.” Taken from: http://chetday.com/quinoa.html There are many other good sources to get your protein from, like nuts and seeds, and legumes, this is just an example.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Yea, I got that, but I will not deny that children need protein to grow. It’s too risky not to give your own kids protein – I mean, at least some kind of source from nuts or seeds or superfoods. I agree, we don’t need as much protein, but it is still a part of the body and needs to be included in small amounts (at least for adults). For children, isn’t it easier to just give them some raw protein rather than make a big fuss about it?

I’m still voting that Blue Green Algae is an absolutely superior food, whether you want it for protein or not. It is very nourishing and definitely takes the appetite away.

I completely agree that the body needs much less protein on a raw diet. But it still needs some, especially children and pregnant women. There are only a few sources – algae, hemp, and quinoa, from which algae I think is the best. Other sources are great too – but algae is the best in my opinion.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

The China Study is meant to be good, it has got decades of research into veganism and protein.

• A good book for the vegan athlete is “The Thrive Diet” by Brendan Brazier. He is a vegan, professional Ironman triathlete and has done his research! He also promotes the value of raw nutrition. His website is www.brendanbrazier.com/

• Yep, the China Study is a great book, even the first few chapters will give u a whole lot of information about this subject. Its a real scientific research done over the course of many years, and according to it we don’t need to consume complete proteins. You can actually google it, and it will give you first chapters to read, otherwise buy it on Amazon because I don’t know of any stores that carry it.

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

Thanks for all your answers so far. When I became a raw foodist, I became very interested in the value of food. I believe that the need for protein is greatly exagerated by the influence of the meat industry, but I will be talking mostly to cooked foodists, so I need to give them options that are easy for them and that make them feel like they are taking care of themselves. I take blue green algae myself, but I don’t know how many of them would be receptive to options like that. I’d like to ease them into healthier, more ethical food choices. When I refer to complete protein, I mean food (or food combos) that contain all 9 essential amino acids, like quinoa. I’ve been reading some of the posts about food combos being debunked. So this is a learning experience. The China Study sounds like a fantastic book, and I may get my hands on it this week.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

also good to note: in “green for life” victoria boutenko writes that greens are the best source of protein. while none of them contain all 9 aminos, all 9 aminos can be found in across a spectrum of greens… so if you are getting a good variety of greens then nature is adding them all up for you!

rawkid—i didn’t mean to say we don’t need protein. of course. and protein is in almost EVERYTHING (at least anything i’d consider “food”). it’s the question of the “complete” protein that gets brought up all the time that just gets me.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Just my 2 cents: Green beans and almonds make a complete protein! (Read in a college nutrition book.)

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

germin8~ Since you read it in a “college nutrition book”, then it must be true! ;)

• AND that college nutrition text is perpetuating the myth by even mentioning “complete protein”. I’m not surprised, as nutrition education is still grounded in conventional wisdom and most nutritional researchers are on the meat and dairy boards (except for T. Colin Campbell), so I would be skeptical of anything they say.

They probably say that low-fat yogurt will provide calcium for strong bones and teeth…

• dodododo Raw Newbie

A very unhealthy looking dietician (i have noticed a lot of “experts” on nutrition with aka SAD look very ill and seem to be rife with eating disorders themselves) once explained to me, very earnestly about the superior protein, she seemed very keen to impart this information to me, even though it quite clearly wasnt working for her.

my take is this, i have worked with lots of animals, i have studied lots of animals,and i am fascinated by animal behavious. i have never seen a bunny turning down a clover leaf if its hungry, worried it may get too fat, animals instinctivly know what they need and seek it out. I think we pay far too much attention to self professed experts and dont listen to ourselves, we have the ability to maintain and mend ourselves.

the dietry deficiencies we have are mostly due to how we have allowed our bodies and food to be messed about with. we have antibiotics given at the drop of a hat, our food is scrubbed, steralised, sanitised, denaturalised and most frequently pulverised.

the kid that doesnt dig around in the dirt and eat mud pies is the one that ends up sickly their whole childhood.

Offtopic, MMM im sure if you entered that in a competition you would win first prize and get a group of dedicated followers, just be carefully when they pin the rosette on ;)

• RawKidChef-Mickmaster did not say we don’t need protein! And neither did anyone else! You’re taking it completely out of context! He only said that the need to combine foods to make “complete proteins” is a total myth that has been dis-proven. Maybe you should check out the links he provided and take another look at the other postings before jumping to conclusions.

• Rawkid, there’s protein in everything. You don’t have to give someone something (even children) specifically for protien. If you are eating enough calories and variety, you are getting enough protein. You ever hear of someone who’s eating enough having a protein deficiency?

• Superfood – That’s my line but I didn’t use it here. I’ve been saying it for years, then I read it in Skinny Bitch.

They said: “Have you ever, ever, ever heard of anyone with protein deficiency?” Or something very emphatic like that.

• Mr Mickmaster, Thanks, I’m sick of people harping on the protein stuff too.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

you’ll quit before you follow all the links on www.ravediet.com it is a truly un-exhaustable source of info. put together to back up the film “Eating”

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

hehe bluedolphin I only pointed that out… because I really don’t know what amino acids are in each one. I just read it… remembered it… and that’s it… didn’t research it. The book didn’t say either, so, research it. As with all things… EVEN non-college books! hehe