Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

IBS anyone???

rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

Hi there,

I was wondering if anybody has been succesful treating IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome) with this diet, and if there are any specifics I should be aware of, such as no nuts or low fruit intake, for example, so I could help a friend that is suffering of IBS. My best friend is having a really bad time right now, and I am not sure what to tell her. She has a decent diet, but it is no raw. I have the feeling that this diet may help her (the way it helped me), but I am not sure about what things she should avoid. Anyone????

Thank you so much!!!

Comments

• I have IBS as part of Fibromyalgia. Nothing helped it until raw. I have been mostly 75 % raw for the last 2 months. I eat a non-raw cereal with almond milk at breakfast, smoothie at lunch, and a salad or gourmet dinner meal most days. I notice that raw onions and garlic can cause problems sometimes.

• Eating a high fruit diet works best for me.

• rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

Thank you RAWcure and Karmyngirl. Do any of you eat nuts? I’ve heard that sometimes they can be problematic for people with IBS.

• I eat nuts with no obvious problems. Yesterday I ate a variety of non-raw foods and my IBS came back. It took 12 hours to get back to normal. I never noticed what foods were causing problems prior to going raw. Sometimes I would think it was dairy or fat, but it was never consistant. Now I eat enough fat (nuts, oils) and feel fine.

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

The only time I have IBS is when I eat gluten. other than that I do ok. Wish I could be of more help

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

It took a while to adjust to raw, but now my IBS is not really a problem. I had trouble digesting raw fruits and vegetables when I ate SAD, but since I’ve cut all the junk out, and my body is used to eating them, it functions pretty normally.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I second the high-fruit diet. Pineapple especially. Very small amounts of nuts and seeds. I don’t have IBS, but I will get constipated if I don’t eat enough fruit or too much nuts and seeds.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Also you want to take Mega-Zyme by Enzymatic Therapy and Garden of Life Primal Defense as well as Crystal Sweet Wild Blue Green Algae. It will clean you out.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

my friend suffers with this. When she comes and stays and is fed 100% raw all er symptoms are gone in about 2-3 days. Then she goes back to her normal life and it all goes back to ‘normal’. We have tried all we can to help her go raw, but now I am just trying to accept that I can’t do it for her.

• Cutting wheat and dairy fixed me up, as did getting Candida under control. Now things that gave me problems, like FIBER, aren’t a problem. I do a quart of green smoothie every day! I have no problems with nuts and seeds, soaked or not. Raw onions and garlic are a problem if I eat them in quantity. I try to avoid gluten so I don’t do cereal grains often or in quantity.

My dad and sister have serious cases of Crohn’s and won’t do one single thing to help themselves, except my dad avoiding all spices – the old bland diet for ulcers thing. I have no idea why he still believes this is relevant. They don’t give the idea serious consideration when I tell them to just cut wheat and dairy for 10 days and see how they feel. They just say “are you kidding? I couldn’t live without … blah, blah, blah”. Even my parents’ friend who has Celiac tells them to give it a try and they don’t. My mom has Type 2 Diabetes and eats better than we did growning up, but still “cheats” constantly. I guess they figure they’ll die in a few years anyway and ill-health is inevitable.

Sorry, I’ll pass on that dish of eeyore!! And that is discernment, not judgement.

Zoe, I feel your pain. We can’t help those who cannot or will not help themselves. All we can do is send them blessings rather than allowing ourselves negative feelings about the situation.