Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Oil Pulling-information?

Hey, this is in reference to the thread Rawdance started about teeth whitening. I read about oil pulling and have researched it for a while and am wondering how you all feel about it and its effectiveness. I have two cavities and one tooth that has another problem and I have been trying for a while to find solutions to keep my teeth strong and beautiful. I don’t want anymore cavities.

Anyone doing this?

Comments

• I used to use Extra Virgin Sunflower oil and found it to be quite interesting and beneficial for my teeth and gums. It helped in release of toxins from the sublingual glands as well. I did it for a couple of months, and just stopped. I have since given up on processed oils and have actually forgot about Oil-pulling. But give it a try, I might go buy a small bottle of oil and give it a swish around.

• I have found that the unrefined sesame oil works well. My mom had some leftover infection in one of her teeth from a root canal and the oil pulling removed it from her tooth. I have also noticed that when you oil pull, it draws out infection from not just your mouth but the rest of your body. Sometimes it makes you feel kind of like you’re getting sick but I think that’s just the toxins releasing. I think I have a cavity right now and need to start pulling again because that seems to work. I also noticed it whitened my teeth and always left my mouth feeling really clean. If you haven’t already been to www.oilpulling.com there is a lot of useful information about it there too.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

thank you guys! I think I’ll get some sesame oil after work today and give it a whirl….or a swish. ha.

I’m very curious about it and I actually read the transcript of a clinical trial they did and they said besides being 6 times more cost effective the other products on the market it also had double the benefits.

• I lurk almost everyday, but never heard of this “oil pulling” thing until now. I thought it sounded crazy, but did some searches on it, and darned if I’m not willing to try it. So I tried it first thing this morning with walnut oil. I had no sesame or sunflower on hand.

My teeth feel clean and shiny, that’s for sure. I will stick with it for about 2 weeks to see what happens.

I watched a youtube of some guy with psioriasis (sp?) trying it out, and after 2 weeks he noticed no changes at all so he stopped doing it.

Let me know what you think about it.

• RubyLaineRubyLaine Raw Newbie

Is it supposed to help with psoriasis? I mostly have it on my scalp and even the $400.00 prescription shampoo barely works.(thank goodness for insurance or I could never afford it). I really would like to know if this helped anybodys psoriasis or if there are other natural methods people have tried that help. Thanks.

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Troubles’s Do you have a website ref for the clinical trial paper? I would love to look at it.

Ruby laine, I have seen people go on holiday to the dead sea to help with psoriasis, you can buy dead sea salts and mud in jars to add to your baths, have you tried these or heard about them?

springleaf, I did read the entire clinical trial paper but I can’t find it at the moment(I’m at work).

It was pretty interesting.

I bought sesame seed oil last night and did my first try this morning. I’ll keep you all posted on my progress. I took pictures before so after a couple weeks or a month I’ll take more. That way I can see the differences. It was totally gross but if it does what they say it will it’s definitely worth it.

By the way, rebecca, I think it would be best no to use any other oil but sesame seed or sunflower seed. Those are the only two with proven results. Be sure that it’s cold pressed and virgin as well.

Just want to give a progress report real quick.

I’ve been doing oil pulling for 8 days now. Here is what I have seen.

A.a small sore I’ve had for three years….gone after day 2

B. tender gums around my back molars….gone after 4 days

C. noticeable whitening after four days

D. General extra clean feeling

The only thing that I don’t like is the actual act. It’s kinda gross. But so far worth it. I’ve detoxed significantly through my skin and at first broke out. Now my skin is clearing and has a distinctly better quality. We’ll see how good it gets!

I recommend this…..

• iknikn

Hi Trouble, for how long did you swoosh it around? I read that you are suppose to do it for 15-20 minutes. that seems a loooong time to me. i’m gonna get some sesame oil today and give a try tomorrow.

yeah, I do it for twenty minutes. It is really long but it only is gross for the first few minutes. You get used to it. It’s a face work out for sure!

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

I tried it once with sesame oil for 15 minutes, and I was thoroughly grossed out. Maybe it was because the sesame oil was so strong. What other oils are recommended? I am also very squeamish when it comes to spit… the thought of swishing with my own spit and oil grosses me out sooo much! Maybe I’ll try it again… the oral hygeine aspect of it all seems very nice.

• Wow, if this is not a sign then I don’t know what is. I actually went from oilpulling.com to goneraw! I have really inflamed gums, some days they’re okay other days they’re not (today being one of the off days). I love my teeth, so I don’t want any bad gingivitis or anything of that sort. I feel deep down inside that it is a detox process, but of what? Am I just being cliche as someone once said?

I am going to go and buy some oil, if it works for me then I will continue use! I truly hope it does!

Also, has anyone noticed problems with eating too many mangoes, resulting in inflamed gums? I eat a lot of them. I hope that’s not the reason, mangoes are by far my favorite fruit… at the moment :)

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

Hi TreeOfLife..

could it be possible that you are slightly allergic to mangoes or something else you’re eating? That could cause inflammation for sure. I know I am slightly allergic to bananas because my mouth and throat tingle after I eat one.

• SueSue Raw Newbie

Annabelle77, same here. I tried the oil thing once but was too grossed out to continue. But since trouble/bubble had such good results, I think I’ll give it another go. By the way, treeoflife, I read somewhere (probably here) that the mango’s skin has the same properties as poison ivy, so if you’re allergic to poison ivy, mango’s could be causing some discomfort for you. At least the skin part.

• Thanks annabelle. I have given that thought, I’m going to stop eating mangoes and see how my body reacts to them. I don’t think it is an allergy, usually an allergic reaction happens pretty fast for me. I can’t eat Kiwi because it irritates my lips, tongue, face, everything directly after/during eating

Sue, thanks for the tip. I don’t get a reaction on my body anywhere else besides my gums. I’m assuming if it was anything like poison ivy I would be very uncomfortable throughout my body after touching them so much. I tend to not eat the skin on my fruits. Sometimes I will simply chew and spit them out. Other times I will just cut them off. Our bodies can not properly digest them, they are very acid forming which results in loss of base minerals (i.e. calcium). I never knew that about the mango though, that’s pretty interesting!

treeoflife-I think you’d be a great candidate for oil pulling. It totally took care of my sensitive gums right away.

It IS really gross but I continue to see results and it does get easier the longer I do it. I still wake up in the morning and think ‘argh, I have to put oil in my mouth for a long time’. ha

annabelle-the only other oil recommended was sunflower seed oil. Extra virgin of course. My sister tried it and said it didn’t taste like anything much. Sesame seed oil tastes alot like peanut butter to me in a very unpleasant way. I couldn’t find sunflower seed oil in my local healthstore so that’s why I’m using sesame seed.

• iknikn

Well, I did my frist oil pulling session this morning. Wow, never seemed 15 minutes so long. And no kidding about face work-out either! For how long are we suppose to do this? one week? two weeks? months?

well the results only last while you’re doing it. So as long as you want the results I guess.

I’m really surprised by my skin detox. So I’m going to continue to see what it looks like after. My teeth feel really good and they’re whiter so who knows, maybe I’ll keep it up for good!

I dry brush and take my shower while I’m swishing

• iknikn

Yeah, I was thinking about multitasking too, but I really enjoy the dry brushing and didn’t want to spoil it. So I dry brush, get the oil in my mouth, swoosh, shower, swoosh, wash my hair, swoosh some more, put coconut oil on my skin and spit out the nasty stuff! I think I need to switch to sunflower seed oil. The seasme oil made nauseous a little bit. I’m curious to see the effects too.

yeah from what I’ve heard sunflower seed oil was less flavorful. I HATE the taste of sesame. ha. But I’m enduring!

• Oil pulling should be done as often as possible. It’s not a treatment that you do only when you have a problem (that’s western medicine thinking), its done as a preventative treatment. Oil pulling is included in Ayurveda’s daily health routine called Dinarcharya, and so is meant to be done every day you can.

A few recommendations for oil pulling:
    - Use cold pressed sesame oil
    - Do it as soon as you wake up and BEFORE brushing your teeth
    - As with any Vedic practice, do it with awareness. That means try not to do anything else while you’re doing oil pulling. Sit quietly and just focus on what you are doing. It should be almost like a meditation
    - Once the oil starts to feel very thin and watery in your mouth, you can spit it out. There’s no reason to continue after this point
    - Rinse your mouth very thoroughly once you’re done. The at the end of the practice, the oil is filled with toxins and you don’t want them sticking around in your mouth

I hope all this helps. This is all what I was taught when I learned oil pulling at the Nithyananda Dhyanapeetam ashram in Bangalore, India. Also, I will be posting more info on Oil Pulling (aka taila kriya) on the website I have started with my brother, * Roshi’s Raw Lifestyle * , within the next week including a video demonstration on how oil pulling should be done.

• You can use any oil. The more mild tasting the oil, the easier it will be. It just needs to be a fat because its the fat that acts as magnet to pull out all the little critters in your mouth. It’s been said some have used full fat milk when oil wasn’t around.

I think for something as dificult as psoriasis, you would have needed to oil pull for much longer than just two weeks. Also, for best results at least 15 minutes a session. 20 minutes is prime.

Doesn’t hurt to try as there are no bad side effects.

rishi! Thank you for that information.

• According to Ayurveda, sesame oil and sunflower oil are best. If these are unavailable, coconut oil is considered OK. As far as I know, no other oil is recommended.

TJAB.. Are you still doing this? What are your results at this point? I started today and truthfully I don’t mind the Sesame Oil. It’s the mouth workout thats killing me. But hey if it works, it is worth it!!

• Hey

Ive been doing it for over a week now. Here are two important things i have noticed:

First, about the mouth workout, it only last for the first few days… after 1 week your muscles gets used to it and it becomes as easy as could be. For example, when i did this morning i remembered how it was the first time compared to then, and the difference is huge: then it seemed like a task, something hard, now it was like an easy activity.

And second, i dont know if anyone else noticed something similar, but it seems that after doing oil pulling my taste buds become sharper! Food taste more fresh and alive!

hope this helps ;)

Ok, I have been doing this for a week and have noticed that a spot on face that always looks chapped is finally going away. Thats it, nothing more. Could be a placebo effect, I don’t know. What improvements is everyone else getting?

oh, and one thing I forgot… taste buds have changed. I can’t deal with “rich” foods, ie. garlic, onion, nut cheezes. Crave more mono meals. I tried a few gourmet recipes and they were too much. Good I guess, right?

rubylaine-I am still oil pulling. I’ve been doing it for 21 days. I’m still seeing results and I know that it’s preventing things. I still think it’s gross and I still don’t like doing it but I’m keeping it up anyway. haha. Just to be healthy and have pretty teeth.

• synapsynap Raw Newbie

RubyLaine, did you apply the oil pulling technique as direct application the chapped "spot on your face" or did you just do the oil pulling inside the mouth?